Best cake shop in Santo Domingo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Name: La cuchara de madera
Location: calle Freddy Prestol Castillo (the street that runs behind the Acropolis) about 1 block north of the Acropolis.
Reason why?: although its location and seating area are not as good as comparable establishments in the area, their cakes have no equal in terms of quality, range, innovation and variety. Delicious!

This is based on extensive and detailed research.

Tough job, but someone has to do it!

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Is really better than "Pasteler?a del Jard?n", "Brioche" or "Pastry"??? If this is true than I really need to try the cakes of that shop, first time I heard of it.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Johy said:
Is really better than "Pasteler?a del Jard?n", "Brioche" or "Pastry"??? If this is true than I really need to try the cakes of that shop, first time I heard of it.

I am privileged to live in the pastry neighborhood of Santo Domingo (or doomed to resist such temptations). Yes, Cuchara de Madera is good. You must try their chocolate nutella cake. Delicious and travels well.

Another of my favorites is the shop off Jose Amado Soler (in Seralles area near the Nacional supermarket of Lope de Vega) that makes delicious coconut pies and Dominican sweets... can't think of the name, but it will come to me. Owned by the Columna family.

Popular in the area also are Bondelic (prune cake), Baguette (tres leches). Panavi at Plaza Catalunya has some goods sweets, although this place is pricey.

If you are into sweets also try the macadamia ice cream cake of Helados Bon, at Arcadas in the area.

My opinion is that all of these places have several excellent sweets and you just have to go trying them out.

There are a few others that I'll add. Maybe we should come up with a list of these places and do a DR1 pastry tour...

Oh... must be that I didn't get enough for breakfast...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Dolores said:
Another of my favorites is the shop off Jose Amado Soler (in Seralles area near the Nacional supermarket of Lope de Vega) that makes delicious coconut pies and Dominican sweets... can't think of the name, but it will come to me. Owned by the Columna family.
Somebody recently mentioned that that one make the best pies in the country. I think that in the name of science I must go investigate. Purely for scientific reasons, of course.

I will concur with Chiri about Cuchara de Madera, pending further investigation on the matter above.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
now that you mention Pasteleria del jardin...

Johy said:

'Pasteleria del jardin' no longer have my custom, since they let me down big time by phoning on the eve of my son's birthday party saying they had not got a certain ingredient and therefore would be unable to make the cake I had ordered a week previously. They did not seek a creative solution or offer an alternative, let alone compensation. That was when a friend stepped in and recommended 'La cuchara de madera', and I ordered the nutella chocolate cake which they were able to supply it with no drama or fuss.

This was Pasteleria del jardin's second and last chance as far as I was concerned: the previous time I went to them they had substituted the filling in a cake I ordered without consulting with me, and insisited on charging for the difference. The quality may be good but the service is crap (in my experience) and the range bog-standard.

'Brioche' and 'Pastry' - if I have tried them I haven't been impressed. Where are they located?

Dolores, you're right - the chocolate/nutella cake is delicious. Last time I went there they had a new item - pecan and chocolate slices, spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. Exceptional!

I don't think I've tried the Seralles one either. Looking forward to studying it! Does DR1 award research grants? ;)

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
SNORT!!!! Hah haah after going cross-eyed trying to just glean something from that useless Blonde Dominican post, I though tthis said 'Best Coke Shop" and I guess that wouldn't be out of the question, would it!!! LOL!!!!

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Chirimoya said:
'Brioche' and 'Pastry' - if I have tried them I haven't been impressed. Where are they located?
Brioche is located on the street that is just before Kennedy Ave. if you go South - North on Lincoln Avenue towards Kennedy. They make a really nice peach cake and an amazing marmol cake.

And Pastry is on Sarasota Ave., I love the cakes there.

Too bad you had that type of service from 'Pasteler?a del Jard?n', I've never received that service before, perhaps that's recent, have been a while since I bought a cake there, Pastry is more near my home so generally I buy cakes there.

Ok, next time I'll try "Cuchara de Madera", I love chocolate cakes and that 'chocolate nutella cake' sounds delicious.

Thanks for the inputs. ;)

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Ruling from the judges please!

Does this mean we can post alternatives and other ideas besides the location mentioned in the OP? I haven't posted yet in this forum for fear of censure.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Naufrago said:

Does this mean we can post alternatives and other ideas besides the location mentioned in the OP? I haven't posted yet in this forum for fear of censure.

The title of this thread is Best Cake Shop in Santo Domingo -- does not limit the area, thus. Just happens that some of the better shops are located in the area mentioned at the start of this post.

By the way, just remembered the name of the pastry shop of the Columna sisters... Pasteleria de la Casa that makes the great pies.

Let us hear about great pastry and cake shops in other areas of Santo Domingo.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Another good pastry shop, but in the same area as mentioned before, is Kitchen's Angels. They make a good chocolate cake (not as good as the Nutella one of Cuchara de Madera), but not as expensive either. They are located at Virgilio Ordo?ez Street where it intersects with the Multicentro La Sirena, one block from Winston Churchill.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Dolores said:
Another good pastry shop, but in the same area as mentioned before, is Kitchen's Angels. They make a good chocolate cake (not as good as the Nutella one of Cuchara de Madera), but not as expensive either. They are located at Virgilio Ordo?ez Street where it intersects with the Multicentro La Sirena, one block from Winston Churchill.
Been there, tried it. Excellent with a good cup of coffee. While at it try the eggplant souffl?.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think we are definitely outside forum rules, but yes, Kitchen Angels do a good lemon and poppyseed cake too.

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Yeap...

Naufrago said:

That was exactly my point in a previous post regarding this OP. I think it is a great idea but why can't we dispute the subject of the entry if we have a different opinion about the subject or if we want to suggest a better option in the category? This OP started with Robert's entry of "Best Steak in Santo Domingo". The subject was Davey Crockett and I could not agree with him more about that. But how did that category differ from the "Best Cake Shop"? And why does Dolores get to live by different rules than the rest of us? I know she started this site but if we are going to have rules then I think everyone should stick to them. I know, I know, "I am new here so my opinion doesn't count" but at least you're not paying for it.

Regards

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dolores said:
What did I do wrong? I thought I was just posting where you can find the best cakes in Santo Domingo?
D - the 'forum rules' post states that each of these threads should stick to discussing the business in the OP, and that if someone wants to recommend another place it should be done in a new thread. It doesn't make sense to most posters, it appears. Maybe you could have a word... ;)

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Nothing Wrong In My Opinion...

Dolores said:
What did I do wrong? I thought I was just posting where you can find the best cakes in Santo Domingo?

You did nothing wrong in my opinion. In fact, what you did was perfectly natural as an extension of a message board that seeks to give information to others and to share your opinion on different subjects in the DR. But you broke the rules nonetheless. But I like girls who break the rules. See "Best Idea" in this same OP.

Regards

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
gringito said:
You did nothing wrong in my opinion. In fact, what you did was perfectly natural as an extension of a message board that seeks to give information to others and to share your opinion on different subjects in the DR. But you broke the rules nonetheless. But I like girls who break the rules. See "Best Idea" in this same OP.

Regards
The boss never breaks the rules. The boss makes the rules. That's the rule. ;)

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Ok, now that the rules allow it, we always get our cakes at Reposteria Vinicio in Villa Consuelo. They're on Maximo Grullon No. 74 (Entre Guardia y Oviedo). Nothing fancy, but the freshest, Big Classic Dominican Cakes for all occasions, Best of all the price is right! 425RD for a cake big enough for 30. They also give you a couple of free pieces to eat on the car ride home. :lick: