You Need a Visa to go to DR

Jun 5, 2004
When making a reservation with an airline I was told that if I was going to stay in the domiican Republic for more than 15 days that the tourist card was not going to do but that i needed a Visa which I can get from the DR consulate. I am tired of traveling to the DR and have not had any problems. Is this something new? Whats going on ?

Dec 9, 2002
Officially the tourist visa is only valid for 15 days. However, if you overstay, it's not a problem, you'll just get a small fine at the airport on departure. Even if you overstay by years the fine is small. Do a search and you'll find a recent thread detailing the scale of fines.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
His point was the airline was saying that a ticket for greater than 15 days would exceed the limit on a tourist card and the implication is they wouldn't sell it to him. Sounds fishy to me.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
Oh, this is troubling... I, too, am concerned about this. I was also under the impression that you could just overstay the 15 days and pay the fine at the airport.. but if this is something NEW then that is no good at all! I will attempt to find out more for you apdomini and will keep my eyes glued to DR1 to see what anyone else has to say on the subject. *I certainly do not hope that it's NOW necessary to go to the consulate to obtain a visa if you overstay!!! :cross-eye

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Which airline was it?

I have to admit there is a certain logic to this, but that usually doesn't seem to come into play much where the DR is concerned. The tourist card was reduced to 15 days some time ago. Strange that this is the first time this has come up.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
sweetdbt said:
this is the first time this has come up.

Instead of "first" I think "only" or "never" are more likely. I check in for AA flights to the DR at Toronto, and they haven't asked if I had or needed a visa of any duration, nor do I suspect they will start. Same with trips to Nicaragua and Chile.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
What I have seen before is COPA Airlines asking for a resident visa/dominican id whenever you try to get on board to their flights without a return ticket... no matter where you come from... or what nationality you are... they will make you buy a return ticket if you want to get into the plane... COPA belongs to the same group as Continental Airlines, i wouldn't be surprised if they have the same policy.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
This sounds more like a policy to sell a roundtrip ticket.
Martin Air has the same "policy", but I always thought these issues about visas etc was mostly asked by quite new selling staff, when ordering a ticket.
As it is legal to arrive to Dominican Republic and prolong your visa here, or to do a residency on spot or even to stay here and pay a fine when leaving the country if visa has not be prolonged, the airline can basically not refuse to sell a ticket with an open return or another date.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
andrea9k said:
What I have seen before is COPA Airlines asking for a resident visa/dominican id whenever you try to get on board to their flights without a return ticket... no matter where you come from... or what nationality you are... they will make you buy a return ticket if you want to get into the plane... COPA belongs to the same group as Continental Airlines, i wouldn't be surprised if they have the same policy.

Yes but one-way fares to a lot of countries may cause this inquiry to come up and one way fares are atypical.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
carina said:
This sounds more like a policy to sell a roundtrip ticket.
Martin Air has the same "policy", but I always thought these issues about visas etc was mostly asked by quite new selling staff, when ordering a ticket.
As it is legal to arrive to Dominican Republic and prolong your visa here, or to do a residency on spot or even to stay here and pay a fine when leaving the country if visa has not be prolonged, the airline can basically not refuse to sell a ticket with an open return or another date.

This is not true, it is compulsory that you have a return ticket to DR from any country unless you have residency here.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Ladybird is right

She is correct! YOu must have a return ticket in order to come to the DR unless you have residency. So, buy the return ticket and simply overstay!

A friend just arrived here in POP on Tuesday. She double checked that she could fly here on a one way ticket! She actually asked the Dominican embassy in Canada who I suspect told her what they thought she wanted to hear.

She arrived at the airline check in counter - she does not have a residency card and they forced her to pay over $1,000 canadian for a new return ticket!

You must have a return ticket. BOttom line.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
My last trip to the DR was a few months back on Continental Airlines. My flight was booked for 30 days; nobody said anything about extending my visa. I ended up staying 10 weeks, when I got to the airport for my return trip they only charged me a few $ for my overstay.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
You don?t need a return ticket.....

but you do need an onward ticket.

I returned from the UK to DR last September and was told that because I was not a legal resident I had to have a ticket leaving the DR to be able to board the plane (Air France).

I bought the cheapest full fare ticket available on my credit card, which was to Puerto Rica, they then let be board the plane, and once back in the DR I sent the ticket to Air France in the UK stating that I no longer needed the ticket and they gave me a full refund.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
Just to clarify, (I apologize because this isn't MY thread), but to perhaps clarify for myself and a few others... So, it's not a big problem if one buys a two-way ticket to the DR, for lets say a month or longer (over the 15 days), get the GREEN tourist card in the airport--(one should be able to go through without much questioning right???) and then just PAY the FINE on the way home... correct? (I ask because this is what I am doing, and I am just concerned about having the personel in POP airport questioning me about my business in the DR for that length of time etc)...
Thanks... hope this doesn't seem repetative... xox :)

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Angel_04 said:
(I ask because this is what I am doing, and I am just concerned about having the personel in POP airport questioning me about my business in the DR for that length of time etc)...
Thanks... hope this doesn't seem repetative... xox :)

They won't give a hoot about why.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Ladybird said:
This is not true, it is compulsory that you have a return ticket to DR from any country unless you have residency here.

True but largely enforced by the airline not migracion who in 40 visits have yet to ask me for such proof. The airline might not board you on a one-way ticket.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Get a roundtrip ticket, best with open return so you can book a date if you might need to go back. You never know, things might happen. And you pay for rountrip anyway. If open date is more expensive ( some airlines ) then set a date.
If you overstay it is not a problem, you pay upon departure, and it is not much at all. I read somewhere here on dr1 forum or any other it is from 60 pesos per day up to 2000 pesos for a 10 year overstay.. Cannot find that thread now..