request for STI to Sosua driving directions

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
I've decided to take the plunge, and will rent a car (for the first time in the DR) at STI and then drive to Sousa (via Mountain Road #25... unless you all tell me that's insane).

This is my 6th trip to the DR, and have used Caribe for the same trip (although via a different route) in the past. And since my flight arrives at 12:45pm, it WILL be a daylight drive.

I have decent maps... but suspect they show the "old" STI airport location, So I need directions for getting from STI to Mountain Road #25. It looks like once I'm on the mountain road, I should be OK (although I'm told the road is not for the weak-hearted)

If anyone advises (for this newbie gringo) the Autopista Duarte (#1) & Autopista #5 route instead, directions from STI to Autopista Duarte would also be helpful. Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So, you wanna go the Carretera Tur?stica Luper?n??

Okay.

Know first that the road is windy, heavily broken in some areas but quite full of beautiful vistas that you should not look at too much.

Here goes.

Out the airport road going to the right (west) towards Santaigo..

As you get to the traffic lights signaling your arrival to the city, stay in the middle lane. You will go past the nearly completed Hotel Gran Santiago on your right. Then the Fernando Valerio Fort Then the HOMS medical complex under construction...long time, too. Now, pay attention.

There are three lights to go. The third one is across from a Shell Station and Plaza Monumental. Stay to the right. About 250 yards ahead you go to the right (a fork), and keep going right. You will be veering to the North. You will see a large building called Hollywood. You want to go in front of that. Stay in the middle. Go over the flyway, and as you come down off the overpass, stay to the right. At the next light, go right and you are on the Luperon Highway. Follow your nose and you come out at the Gran Parada on the POP-Sosua Highway. Be very careful.

Straight to Playa Dorada, right to Sosua and Cabarete.

Happy Trails.

Do not recommend this at night.

HB :D:D

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
awesome directions - thanks!

One more question... Do you think I'd be wiser to take the "Highway 1 to Highway 5" route through Puerto Plata?

Given that I:
- will not have a co-pilot
- will be driving in the DR for the first time
- am not in a hurry
- have decent Spanish skills (for asking/understanding directions if lost)
Which route would you suggest?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
During the day,

and with the detailed directions HB provided, IMHO the Carretera Touristica is indeed the way to go if Sosua is your destination. It's quite a bit closer, and as stated is very scenic. You may want to pull off a time or 2 to enjoy the views, because you WILL need your full attention on the road and traffic while driving. Negotiating your way through Santiago is the tricky part, and you'll need to do that regardless. The other way would require another set of directions, and you would also have to negotiate your way through Puerto Plata (which is not tricky, but can be time-consuming if you hit it at a time when traffic is bad). Then it's another 20 minutes or so to Sosua.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
macmasher

Hillbilly gave you the perfect answer for the question you asked.

If you wish to know the simplest/safest route, there is another beautiful scenic drive and you avoid both Santiago and Puerto Plata.

It's the mountain road from Moca to Sabaneta.

Several advantages:

1. It's on the airport side of Santiago, so you avoid that city entirely.

2. While the scenery is as breathtaking as the Touristica route, the road has no potholes or sections that have fallen into the void :) and is as smooth sailing as any well kept paved road in the US.

3. There are a couple of nice restaurants at the summit, close to the Moca side of the trip, from where you can see 30 miles in all directions, including Santiago. Inspiringly beautiful. And good coffee.

Downside: I know the route and the summit restaurant, but haven't a clue as to names, directions, and so on.

I'm sure others will help, if you're interested.

btw, it joins up with the main highway to Sosua at Sabaneta, just a few miles east of Cabarete. All in all, a great drive. And from the airport in Santiago, less time than the other routes.

dawnwil

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
Dawn said... "Directions from STI to the mountain road from Moca to Sabaneta... I'm sure others will help, if you're interested."

I'm DEFINITELY interested. Can anyone offer specifics? Thanks in advance.

macmasher

dawnwil said:
Hillbilly gave you the perfect answer for the question you asked.
If you wish to know the simplest/safest route, there is another beautiful scenic drive and you avoid both Santiago and Puerto Plata.
It's the mountain road from Moca to Sabaneta.
Several advantages:
1. It's on the airport side of Santiago, so you avoid that city entirely.
2. While the scenery is as breathtaking as the Touristica route, the road has no potholes or sections that have fallen into the void :) and is as smooth sailing as any well kept paved road in the US.
3. There are a couple of nice restaurants at the summit, close to the Moca side of the trip, from where you can see 30 miles in all directions, including Santiago. Inspiringly beautiful. And good coffee.
Downside: I know the route and the summit restaurant, but haven't a clue as to names, directions, and so on.
I'm sure others will help, if you're interested.
btw, it joins up with the main highway to Sosua at Sabaneta, just a few miles east of Cabarete. All in all, a great drive. And from the airport in Santiago, less time than the other routes.

dawnwil

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Macmasher, when do you arrive? And do you speak Spanish?

I have a map of Santiago somewhere, and if there's time I can figure it out.

Am wondering about the Spanish because when you are leaving the airport, you can ask some taxi drivers to point you in the right direction for Moca. Heck, I bet someone would allow you to follow him.

From the airport, instead of turning right to the main street, you turn left onto a gawdawful road for about a 1/2 mile. If you didn't know it would end in a 1/2 mile, you would turn around immediately, thinking the entire trip was going to be hell. :) I know this because one night around 3 am this is exactly what happened-- a Dominican who lives in Sosua began to follow us, and then disappeared. He figured the other, longer Touristica road would be better. Bwahahahaha. anyway...

At the end of that horrible airport road, you T onto another and make a RIGHT, and when you reach the end of this road you will be at another T, which is the the Moca road from Santiago. Turn LEFT-- heading to Moca, of course.

If you can speak Spanish, that part will be simple because I'm sure many will be able to point you in the right direction. The only tricky part is noticing the mountain road to Sabaneta-- it has a road # which I will try to find if there's time. You turn LEFT onto this road and follow it all the way to Sabaneta and the main hwy to Cabarete/Sosua. If you miss that turn, you'll end up in Moca, not too much farther ahead, so it isn't really a big deal. But for a newbie driver, better to not miss the turns.

If you miss no turns, and the first two from the airport road are no-brainers because they T onto the right roads, it's a very quick and painless drive.

And WOW, at that time of day you will see it all, the views I never get tired of seeing. This country really is awesomely beautiful and I love it.

Dawn

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
dawnwil wrote - "Macmasher, when do you arrive? And do you speak Spanish?"

I arrive on Sunday 5/15 at 12:45pm (on Continental, through Newark). And I'm staying at Rocky's (for the second time) for five nights (so stop by for coffee or a Presidente... on me).

On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd say my Spanish is a "5" (sufficient for driving directions, but not for in-depth discussions of nuclear physics or Darwinian theory).

I've found a few on-line maps, and those (combined with incredibly gracious and helpful advice from you, Hillbilly, and sweetdbt) are actually starting to make perfect sense.

It looks (from my maps) like the road/route numbers in question are 14 (heading east... from Santiago, through Licey, and almost to Moca) - and then left/north on 21 to Sabeneta de Yasita - then left/west on 5 through Cabarete to Sosua.

Sound about right? Thanks again (VERY much).

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
cool!

I think you've got it.

That you speak passable Spanish removes most of the concern, especially as you'll be driving midday. I seem to remember another road number, like 132, but who knows. That might be a road in Renfrew County near Ottawa. I go by visuals. There's lots of time, so I'll double check with my Santiago map in the next day or so and let you know if 132 is real. :)

But you've got the best of it now. Have a great trip... look forward to hearing what you think of the Moca road, as we call it here.

ciao

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
dyslexic RIGHT & LEFT

Gee whiz, I can't believe I did this. A good friend of mine is an animator (disney cartoon type, not all-inclusive type :) and she seriously doesn't know right from left. Once in Ireland we drove the country together and I had to use hand signals for the turns because she would do the opposite if I spoke them.

I laughed at her, thought it was hilarious...

Ahem, here are the correct turns. I hope.

dawnwil said:
At the end of that horrible airport road, you T onto another and make a LEFT, and when you reach the end of this road you will be at another T, which is the the Moca road from Santiago. Turn RIGHT-- heading to Moca, of course.

Maybe you ought to ask those taxi drivers, just in case.

If you ever meet my friend Eileen, please don't tell. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We once had a huge fight over these alternate routes

Basically, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

1) The route by the Carretera Luper?n has a couple of restaurants , too, since Dominican love to eat and drive (as well as drink and drive) so that is not a bother.
2) I found one important feature missing from Dawn's description (or I may have read it too fast.)
As you leave the airport parking lot you turn left. The road is under repair...then the left-right as per Dawn's instructions. The tricky part is the next left (LEFT) at the "backwards fork in the road" just before you get to Moca-Estancia Nueva if you'r interested...About the only thing I can tell you is that there are a bunch of car dealers there and it is the only real opening to the left that fits that description, and you can see a TEXACO station just a few yards up the road you're going to turn into, on the right. Then you follow that road for a few kilometers until you come to the RIGHT turn to YASICA. There is a Police station on the corner and at that time of the afternoon there will be plenty of people and vehicles. On the way up the mountain, you will come to the CAFETO restaurant which has breath taking vists of the valley...Further up the mountain and over the crest there is a nice little place on the right hand side that offers good Dominican-style food. Eaten there and approve.

When you get to the end of the road (obvious by the chaos there) you go to the LEFT, through Cabarete and on to Sos?a.

Timewise it should be about equal...like I said six of one...

Good luck,

HB :D:D:D

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hey Hillbilly

Wanna fight?

Just kidding, but I'm amazed to hear both routes are equi-distant from the airport.

I just know how long it takes me to get to Santiago on Touristica from Sosua, and how long to the airport from Sosua. It's less time to the airport. Maybe it's the poorer condition of the Touristica road... I usually white knuckle that one, partly because I'm in a hurry making it home before dark, but...

Especially after one story-teller type friend swore up and down, while driving Toursitica with me, that there were places where the road was carved out from underneath.

I believed him until I made the trip with NYerinDr and Escott, and Escott was kind enough to stop (which is against his religion, I'm sure) so we could peek (or peak) over the edge.

Absolute hogwash. Oh well.

It was a riot on the Moca road late at night because all the little burros were staked for the night and I counted 15 on that stretch. Some were sleeping, others grazing. They're so cute, those little guys.

btw, your #1 cracked me up. :) Thanks for your eagle eye on directions.

D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This is going to be a bit tough to explain, but I'll give it my best shot.
The complicated part of going the Moca route, is getting through Moca itself.
There is no doubt that the road is better and safer and has less traffic than the Caretera Turistica.
So here we go.
From the STI airport, as you intersect the main Duarte highway, you have to cross, turn left, in a South Easterly direction.
You drive approx. 5 minutes to a left hand turn, at the first sign for Moca.
You take this road to it's end (approx 8 to 10 minutes).
It intersects with a North-South small highway, at the South end of Moca.
Here, at the intersection (traffic light) you turn left, heading North, and within a couple of hundred feet, you bear right at a split in the road.
You will now be on a narrow road going North, through Moca.
The next turn is the one you must not miss and is a bit harder to identify.
First clue will be that the road you are driving on, widens out a bit and lowers as well.
You will come up to an intersection that has only left turn, and the opposing traffic to you has a speed bump. There is also a large prison on the North-West side of the road.
At this intersection, you turn left.
Shortly after, it starts to go down, reaches the bottom of a hill, where there is a traffic light, and you continue on straight.
You will now be at the North side of Moca, heading North and there will be less houses and more commercial establishments.
After driving a few minutes, you will come to an intersection where the highway bends left, and there is a right hand turn off, which is almost in a straight line in which you were heading. As you take the right hand split, you will see a small gas station right there on the right hand side.
You drive along this road for approx 7 or 8 minutes, at which point you will come to the first major intersection, in front of a gas station on your left.
Here, there should be a sign for Jamao or Sabaneta, and you turn right there.
From this point on, you're laughing. It's straight (windy road, of course) to Sabaneta on the North coast.
At Sabaneta, when you get to the main highway, you turn left and will be less than 10 minutes to Cabarete, and another 10 minutes to Sosua.
If you are asking for directions along the way, just ask for Jamao, see which way they point, and keep on going. To sit there and listen to a long story in a language you barely understand is just a waste of time.
If you have missed any turn offs and they point in the opposite direction that you are driving in, turn around and keep asking for directions every couple of minutes, seeing which way they point.
A smile and a "Gracias" is all you need.
If you print this out, you should be able to make it through, problem free.
If you need a break along the way, when you are almost at the very top of the climb up the mountain, you will come up to a rustic looking restaurant on the right hand side of the road, with a fairly big parking lot, called "Rancho la Cumbre"
Best dang "cafe con leche" I ever tasted, and if you want a snack, the chicken or veggie crepes are awesome.
The view, service, atmosphere and food are awesome, and the prices are really cheap.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Um, Marco...

I know something that you don't know.

Those were awesome directions, simply awesome.

Except... you go nowhere near the Duarte Hwy from Santiago Airport. That's the long, long way to the airport through Moca, or back again.

There's a shortcut the other side of the airport... that gawdawful dirt road we've been talking about...

and you end up on the mountain road to Sabaneta before all the Moca nonsense, if you're coming from the airport.

If heading to the airport, you turn right instead of left from the mountain road, and ... voila, no Moca confusion.

I really, really live here now. I know stuff. hee.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Going to Airport:

Dawn gets the cupie doll. You make the right towards Licey. In Licey you make a left when you see the airport sign and that takes you in from the right side of the airport. Simple once you know how to get there.

Returning:

Pay toll and hard left on road that last month looked like the airport in Iraq after the US bombed it. Take it to the first big cross street. Make Left. Take that to Highway make Right. Take that to sign to Sabeneta or Cabarete make Left. Go over God forsaken Highway till you come to the end. Make Left, go through God forsaken Cabarete town and head straight to Sosua which is about 15 minutes down the road. I make it in about 1.20 hours without killing myself or anyone else.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
remorse

Gee, Marco, those directions were so thoughtfully and explicitly given that I feel bad. I'm done chortling about it.

I'm going to keep your directions. I've shown a few people the Moca way to Santo Domingo (huge time saving, especially compared to the main hwy through Puerto Plata) and just hoped for the best because it's confusing as heck getting through that town.

So, thanks a million. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.