Santo Domingo/Ciudad Trujillo

O

Ona

What major sites, rivers, bays, public works, buildings were named after Trujillo during the time he was in power? I know many were, but none come to mind and I no longer have access to the book in which I found them.

J

JCesar

Now you have access...

I posted this before on this board:

"The Dominican Republic : A National History", by Frank Moya Pons, Frank M. Pons Our Price: $32.00

Reviews

The publisher, Markus Wiener Publishers wiener95@aol.com , June 17, 1999

Book review in the HAHR(Hispanic American Review):

Frank Moya Pons is the best-known contemporary Dominican historian. The author of many books and articles, he is a recognized scholar both at home and abroad.

Moya Pons? latest book is based on his well-known "Manual de historia dominicana" (1992), now in its tenth edition and considered a basic text in Dominican historiography.

But his new book is more than a simple translation of the old classic; it is a revised and expanded edition, with new sections, detailed historical maps, and a comprehensive bibliographic essay.

The book follows two parallel historical tracks. On the one hand, it is divided into thematic chapters that examine the distinct political periods in the country?s history, such as the Spanish, French, Haitian, and U.S. occupations and the several periods of self-rule.

On the other hand, it pursues a socioeconomic history by establishing links, when pertinent, between socioeconomic conditions and political developments.

Another notable feature of the book is that it examines contemporary events up to 1990. This remains the standard Dominican history book, in both English and Spanish.

The general reader will find in this book an agreeable, clearly written history of the Dominican Republic, while the experienced scholar will find an indispensable.

Reference.?--HAHR (Hispanic-American Historical Review) -

O

Ona

Re: Now you have access...

Thank you, JCesar, but I actually do have Se?or Moya Pons' book. I actually had the pleasure of speaking with him by phone once. He was very helpful. The book I was referring to is El Album del Oro de la Feria de Paz y Confraternidad del Mundo Libre. In it I actually found that a body of water was named Bah?a de Trujillo, on an antique map inside one of the covers, I thought. (Is there a bay in Santo Domingo? Is there one in Boca Chica?)But I only had access to that book for a few months. I could get it back again, but it would take a while. At any rate I was just hoping someone might remember some of the other sites named after Trujillo during that period, especially one to do with water. Moya Pons' history actually does not deal very much with the Trujillo regime because so much literature has already been written about it. But his history is very complete otherwise.