new in Sosua, need advices!

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
Hi everyone!

I adress my post to the ones who live in Sosua or know well this area. I am coming to DR on April 19th and I rented an apartment at Bella Vista on calle Ayuntamiento for 3 months. I don't know anyone there, so I would need some advices like: where is the internet shop? Where to purchase the 20L bottle of water? The best supermarket (and cheapest of course)? Is there a place where the expats meet at night to take a meal or a good capuccino? You know I need to know the basis...
I am sure I will meet great people there and enjoy my trip, but I don't want to be only surrounded by sankies ( :bandit:) when I'll arrive there you know!
So if there is any good soul to help me... I'll apreciate!
Mel

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
purefolie said:
Hi everyone!

I adress my post to the ones who live in Sosua or know well this area. I am coming to DR on April 19th and I rented an apartment at Bella Vista on calle Ayuntamiento for 3 months. I don't know anyone there, so I would need some advices like: where is the internet shop? Where to purchase the 20L bottle of water? The best supermarket (and cheapest of course)? Is there a place where the expats meet at night to take a meal or a good capuccino? You know I need to know the basis...
I am sure I will meet great people there and enjoy my trip, but I don't want to be only surrounded by sankies ( :bandit:) when I'll arrive there you know!
Mel

Don't worry, all that little stuff you need.. you'll find. Sosua is not that big afterall.. As for the expats I can't help you but I heard about Sharky's on the public beach..

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
purefolie said:
Hi everyone!

Mel
You are within 200' of most all you mention "Capuccino, water, internet etc. As for restaurants there are several within a few minutes walk. La Roca and Rocky's are the most popular with expats for breakfast. As for the rest, the choice will be yours. I wouldn't worry about sankies. Hope you enjoy your stay.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
purefolie said:
Hi everyone!

Mel
http://www.newyorksharkbar.com milagro..check out the site..ask for lou...he's from new york city..lots of expats show up at the bar..also have breakfast at rockys..more friendly faces..you can walk to both of these lplaces from your apartment..supermarket as well. in two days you'll know the area..be careful as you would in any strange place..enjoy and say hi to lou for me ..my name is paddy..i'll be there in may ..so don't use up the sun.

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
Thanks for the answers

Thanks to the ones who replied. Of course I am sure I'll get use very quickly to this kind of stuff, it is just that I don't want to be totally lost when I'll get there!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think you mentioned where you are from ? The expat's hang out at different places regarding which country they are originally from.

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
of course...

Tor said:
I don't think you mentioned where you are from ? The expat's hang out at different places regarding which country they are originally from.

Thank you for mentionning it! I am from Quebec, Canada.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
purefolie said:
Thank you for mentionning it! I am from Quebec, Canada.

Ok then I guess it will be Rockys, Eddys, Brittania and maybe La Roca for dinner ? But the canadiens maybe can give you a better answer.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Well I am from the US but have been known to hang out with a few Stankin Canadians on occassion. You will get the hang of it real quick. Like Eddy said, one breakfast at Rockys, one evening of beers at Eddys and you just chat anyone up and they will help you out.

I will probably run into you.

Escott

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
Rocky's

Escott said:
Well I am from the US but have been known to hang out with a few Stankin Canadians on occassion. You will get the hang of it real quick. Like Eddy said, one breakfast at Rockys, one evening of beers at Eddys and you just chat anyone up and they will help you out.

I will probably run into you.

Escott

Hi Escott!
I heard Rocky's do great american breakfast... First week end in Sosua I will probably go there to chat with people and get some tips. I will wait for you to run into me and reveal me all your secrets!!! Maybe if your secrets worth it, I'll pay you the meal... I feel like I'll get a bunch of replys this way...Ha! Ha! (don't take all for granted!)
See you soon in beautiful Sosua!
M?lissa

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
purefolie said:
Hi Escott!
I heard Rocky's do great american breakfast... First week end in Sosua I will probably go there to chat with people and get some tips. I will wait for you to run into me and reveal me all your secrets!!! Maybe if your secrets worth it, I'll pay you the meal... I feel like I'll get a bunch of replys this way...Ha! Ha! (don't take all for granted!)
M?lissa
M?lissa ma ch?rie, fait attention a Scott. Il n'est pas un Sankie mais un Don Juan.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
purefolie said:
Hi Escott!
M?lissa
First of all, don't listen to Eddy. He lies and so do the goats!

Anything I know is not a secret. I gladly share with all askers without needing one penny. Those that need the pennies live in Puerto Plata and not Sosua! (anyone get this? LMAO)

My number in Sosua is 809-223-1178 and your breakfast is on me. Hell your beer at Eddys is also on me. I have a charge account there!

Escott

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
You guys are so fun! I am already looking forward to meet you all!
Eddy where are you from, France or Quebec? Je suis bien contente que tu parles fran?ais, m?me si ? la longue on s'habitue ? ?crire en anglais sur ce forum!
Thanks for the beer Escott, real gentleman! ;)
M?lissa

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
purefolie said:
Eddy where are you from, France or Quebec? Je suis bien contente que tu parles fran?ais, m?me si ? la longue on s'habitue ? ?crire en anglais sur ce forum!
M?lissa

Canada. LOL

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
Canada

Hey Eddy!
Is there a lot of Canadians in Sosua? And are you from Quebec or did you learn to speak French (that would be very impressive if you are from somewhere else in Canada!!!)

Also does someone knows how to volunteer for Dominican Dream? I wrote them an email on their website to get information but they didn't reply. I guess it is like this when you write an email to someone in DR... :cry: But I would really like to get involved with this organism so if someone can help with that, it would be appreciated.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
purefolie said:
Hey Eddy!
Is there a lot of Canadians in Sosua? And are you from Quebec or did you learn to speak French (that would be very impressive if you are from somewhere else in Canada!!!)

Also does someone knows how to volunteer for Dominican Dream? I wrote them an email on their website to get information but they didn't reply. I guess it is like this when you write an email to someone in DR... :cry: But I would really like to get involved with this organism so if someone can help with that, it would be appreciated.
Both Eddy (Eddy's) and Marco (Rocky's) are from Quebec and they are not alone as Canadians in Sosua.

As far as the DREAM Project in Cabarete www.dominicandream.org it is supported by a number of organizations, one of which is Debbie's Dominican Travel through our Fiesta Committee http://fiesta.webcentre.ca You are probably best to contact Sarah Ross the program Director at sarah@dominicandream.org Remember, replies will come in Dominican time.

I will be on the North Coast from the 15th - 29th and will be visiting Rocky's on the 23rd for a DR1 function with MaineGirl et al. Later that week I will be visiting the DREAM Project in my capacity as a Fiesta Committee advisor and also our other supported charities near Montellano and at Barrio Gregorio Luper?n, Puerto Plata.

Bonne chance de Nouvelle Ecosse.

Gregg

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
Dominican Dream

FireGuy said:
Both Eddy (Eddy's) and Marco (Rocky's) are from Quebec and they are not alone as Canadians in Sosua.

As far as the DREAM Project in Cabarete www.dominicandream.org it is supported by a number of organizations, one of which is Debbie's Dominican Travel through our Fiesta Committee http://fiesta.webcentre.ca You are probably best to contact Sarah Ross the program Director at sarah@dominicandream.org Remember, replies will come in Dominican time.

I will be on the North Coast from the 15th - 29th and will be visiting Rocky's on the 23rd for a DR1 function with MaineGirl et al. Later that week I will be visiting the DREAM Project in my capacity as a Fiesta Committee advisor and also our other supported charities near Montellano and at Barrio Gregorio Luper?n, Puerto Plata.

Bonne chance de Nouvelle Ecosse.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg. I wrote her an email and will be PATIENT for her reply!!!

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
water

I also have a question regarding the water... as I know you cannot drink it, I was wondering if you can use it for kitchening (to cook the pastas, to rince the vegetables, etc.) or you always need to use bottle water?
I bought a liquid that can make any water potable, but I wonder if it is very necessary...
Mel

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
purefolie said:
M?lissa

Melissa, do you know what you are getting yourself into here? Have you seen Escotts picture? It is in a thread titled "Sankies Reveled" (yes it's a misspelling). Take a look.

Maybe you will meet Dawnwil and she will let you have a look at her asss too. I think just about everyone has seen it. Have fun!

Larry