Translation Certification

Courtney

Sep 10, 2003
I've lived in the DR for over 12 years and have done quite a bit of freelance translation and interpretation. I'm interested in becoming a certified translator (English/Spanish), specifically in the legal field.

Where in the DR can I study and become certified?

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I have been waiting to see what others tell you but since a few days have passed, I'll tell you what someone told me. First let me qualify this by saying I have no idea if she knows what she's talking about, and my impression is that she's not the most reliable source, but she is a teacher at Dominico, so maybe there's something to what she says. She told me that she checked into becoming a certified translator but that you need to be a native born DR citizen (or maybe just a citizen), and that certifications aren't being given out right now because there are too many in circulation. Furthermore, the people who have the certifications "bought them" and are not very good at their craft, go figure. My wife tells me that La Cancilleria is the place to find out.

Disclaimer: Can't vouch for any of the above info, maybe other posters can help us on this one.

Courtney

Sep 10, 2003
Thanks Naufrago. What your friend told you doesn't seem right, but anyhow, I'm still interested in any courses/seminars for translation (legal or other).

Could you please provide contact info for La Cancilleria?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are so good at translating

get off your butt and go there yourself, for goodness sakes!.

And you might try the Supreme Court of the Dominican Republic. The judicial translators are certified by the Ministerio P?blico, not the Chancellory.

Previously the person would write a ltetter to the Presidente de la Rep?blica v?a la Procudur?a General de la Rep?blica and annex the necessary documents proving one's ability as a translator. However, according to my sources, this is now being done throught the Supreme Court. So go over there and see what they want to certify you.

HB :D