Get those passports

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The US government announced on Tuesday that it will require its citizens traveling to the Caribbean and Bermuda to have passports in order to return to the United States as of 31 December 2005. This falls under the program called The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative that falls under the US Department of Homeland Security, part of a new terrorism prevention policies implemented following 9/11 terrorist attack.

The DR allows US and Canadian citizens and legal residents to enter with only the presentation of a birth certificate and photo ID, such as a driver's license, but come 31 December 2005, this will have changed due to US requirements.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
So what will happen to the hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of Americans that do not qualify to get a passport? For example, I know several Dominicans living in New York City who have never obtained their American citizenship (which to my understanding is what you need to get a passport?)... I guess now as good a time as any!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
So what will happen to the hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of Americans that do not qualify to get a passport? For example, I know several Dominicans living in New York City who have never obtained their American citizenship (which to my understanding is what you need to get a passport?)... I guess now as good a time as any!
They would continue to use their Dominican passport and US residency card. The passport requirement is for US citizens.

Dec 9, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
How can they be American if they don't have American citizenship?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Dominican Babe said:
How can they be American if they don't have American citizenship?

Well good point. I guess they are not American (although they have lived there for more than 10 years they have not done their test for citizenship) and I am not American so I don't know what it's called there. I would assume they have either permanent resident status or landed immigrant status and what I meant was will these people be required to obtain their citizenship and carry American passports. I think Dolores answered my question.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I guess the simple answer is if you don't have a passport you won't be traveling ;)
We have something similar here in Canada. Started last year I think. People used to be able to get back in with their landed immigrant papers but not anymore.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
It was just announced this week that Canadians who want to cross over the US border and return must have a passport as well, as well as anyone from the US wanting to come to Canada will need a passport too. I am completely pi**ed off as my passport has expired and it is now around $80.00 to get a new one, plus $55.00 for a childrens passport. We live 1 hour and 15 minutes from International Falls, Minnesota and we cross over all the time, since that is the closest movie theatre, plus we can shop at Menards and K-Mart for a lot cheaper, and now it will end up costing us a lot of money. It is bad enough each time we cross the border we are charged 9.00 Cdn !

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
$80/60 months = 1.33 a month. Even I can afford that. :classic:

If anyone goes into the states to "BUY" that means that they have to be saving money right? ;)

It's not a big deal and it makes travel easier.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Anna

you have to remember that I live with an American citizen - so we do travel a lot across the border. Also realize that we have American money at our disposal so it IS a lot less costly for us for some things. And I realize that it isn't a lot of money for the passports, but since I have lived in this area most of my life, and we still do not even get asked for our birth certificates when we come back into Canada, it just seems to be a money grabber for our government. I guess after spending 3 years dealing with the government on Stevens immigration, I am just tired of having to fill out more forms, especially when I know that I will probably never even have to produce it at the border (ours anyway!) ;)

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Everyone should have a valid passport if you are ever considering leaving your country. Everyone should have valid photo ID and this is the best vehicle.

It's pretty simple, not really that expensive (I have had to renew 3x now) and is going to reduce the hassles experienced at border crossings. Wouldn't you rather know that the people at immigration are letting those in that HAVE THE RIGHT to be let in?

No, I do not have a governemnt job, and I agree that some things seem like a cash grab, but this is not. Unfortunately the world has changed, and th passport requirement was certain to happen sooner or later.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
marliejaneca said:
...I am just tired of having to fill out more forms, especially when I know that I will probably never even have to produce it at the border (ours anyway!) ;)
Don't bet on it. It wouldn't make sense if they don't apply the new rules to all border crossings.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Yesterday's Wall Street Journal

All US citizens returning to the US will need a valid passport. Including all bordering countries, if you work in one of the bordering countries, they will issue you a type of special travelling ID of some sorts.
Starting 12/31/05
Completing 12/31/07

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Official US government release

April 5, 2005

U.S. GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE

The United States Government announced today the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative to secure and expedite international travel. By the time all portions of this program are phased in, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all travelers to and from the Americas, the Caribbean and Bermuda, including the Dominican Republic, to have a passport or other secure, accepted document to establish the holder?s identity and nationality, in order to enter or re-enter the United States. These new requirements will go into effect after December 31, 2005 and constitute a change from prior travel requirements.

This initiative is based on the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 that mandated that the U.S. Secretaries of Homeland Security and State develop and implement a plan to require U.S. citizens and foreign nationals to present a passport or other appropriate secure identity and citizenship documentation when entering the United States.

Our goal is to strengthen border security and expedite entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors.

The Travel Initiative will affect all United States citizens traveling within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. It will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States.

For many years U.S. citizens, and some citizens of other countries in the Western Hemisphere, have not been required to present a passport to enter the U.S. while other documents that are less secure than the passport have historically been accepted. However, the passport is the document of choice because of its security features. Since after December 31 of this year, all U.S. citizens who travel through the Western Hemisphere will be required to possess a valid passport, individuals who do not have passports are strongly encouraged to request one as soon as possible.

IMPLEMENTATION

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will be rolled out in phases. For travelers by air or sea to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America, including the Dominican Republic, the new requirement will apply after December 31, 2005. After that date, all U.S. citizen travelers to the Dominican Republic will be required to possess a valid passport to enter or re-enter the United States.

We recognize the implications this Travel Initiative will have for industry, business and the general public in the United States as well as for neighboring countries like the Dominican Republic. The overarching need is to implement this legal requirement in a way that strengthens security while facilitating the movement of persons and goods.

United States citizens who have questions can visit the State Department?s travel website http://www.travel.state.gov or the website of the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo: http://www.usemb.gov.do or http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular/ACS/passports_need-e.htm.

You should allow yourself sufficient time to apply for and receive a passport in advance of travel. For those who are in the United States when they apply for a passport, please allow 6-8 weeks for processing the passport application

U.S. citizens who live or travel to the Dominican Republic will need approximately 10 working days to obtain a passport, once the application is approved. If you need to travel urgently and require a passport sooner, please visit http://www.travel.state.gov for additional information.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
I see a loop hole

to have a passport or other secure, accepted document to establish the holder?s identity and nationality, in order to enter or re-enter the United States.

What are the other secure, accepted documents? This could be anything Military ID, driver's license, birth certificate.....

Does this statute include children? (new born, infants, toddlers)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
They mean by that expression things like the laser visa for Mexicans, the NEXUS program and the CANPASS USPASS programs now defunct etc., special ID from the Feds that fit special programs. Not a drivers licence.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Just went to the website and found out what other documents are acceptable for land crossing only. Nothing about airport crossing.

Other than a passport, what types of documents will be acceptable under this initiative?

The passport is the document of choice right now because of security features and general availability. Individuals traveling within the Western Hemisphere are encouraged to obtain a passport.

For land border crossings, other documents that we are considering for acceptance under this Initiative are SENTRI, NEXUS and FAST program cards. These are current international frequent traveler programs (see www.cbp.gov for further information).

We anticipate that the Border Crossing Card, (BCC ? also known as ?laser visa?) will also be acceptable as a substitute for a passport and a visa for citizens of Mexico traveling to the United States from contiguous territory.

No currently existing documents other than the BCC, SENTRI, NEXUS or FAST cards are under active consideration as substitutes for the passport. The Departments of Homeland Security and State are working to determine acceptable alternative documents other than a passport as soon as possible. We are using new technologies to create other acceptable travel documents. We will make public additional travel document options as they become available.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Lets face it, the problem will be more with the airlines than US immigration. If you are an American citizen and show up at immigration without a passport, sooner or later they will eventually have to admit you (After i'm sure a detalled records search including finger prints). Most likely though, the airline will never let you board a flight to get that far without a passport.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
HOWMAR said:
Lets face it, the problem will be more with the airlines than US immigration. If you are an American citizen and show up at immigration without a passport, sooner or later they will eventually have to admit you (After i'm sure a detalled records search including finger prints). Most likely though, the airline will never let you board a flight to get that far without a passport.
That's true because ticket agents at JFK love to remind passengers with R/T tickets of the implementing travel restrictions.