Suspicious tree harvest

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Suspicious tree harvest
When the fire fighting brigades entered the forests of Loma Novillero, they discovered that at least 100 mahogany trees, some as much as one meter across, had been felled by unknown persons. Roberty Blandino, the president of the Ecological Foundation of Villa Altagracia, told reporters that the "mess with the fires was nothing more than a way to distract attention from the extraction of the valuable wood by other routes."
Blandino and his people found 52 tree trunks laying on the ground, and he insisted that the case be investigated, since the wood is very valuable.
Germania Pena, a regional forestry official told El Caribe that while they did find trunks on the ground she was sure that "another load had already been taken out." Since some of the felled trees were in private lands, Pena is requesting interviews to find out how they were cut down, since all trees, even those on private lands, must carry a permit before they can be felled.
DR1 news.

It is amazing to see how far some people will go for the sake of a PESO.

I hope those responsible are found, chopped into pieces and burned. The same way they chopped down those trees and started that fire.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I always wondered where all the developers here in Santo Domingo were getting all that mohagany (ie. Caoba) that fills many upper class and middle class homes and apartments.

Now I know!

I will not be surprised if much of the Mohagany that we see in many places here come from the Cordillera Central, albeit its illegal to cut tree, in particularly precious native trees (ie. Caoba, Pino Criollo, etc) and many variety of palms.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Nal0whs said:
I always wondered where all the developers here in Santo Domingo were getting all that mohagany (ie. Caoba) that fills many upper class and middle class homes and apartments.

Now I know!

I will not be surprised if much of the Mohagany that we see in many places here come from the Cordillera Central, albeit its illegal to cut tree, in particularly precious native trees (ie. Caoba, Pino Criollo, etc) and many variety of palms.
I know what you man,

I hope they find them all and make them plant trees for the rest of their lives as a just punishment.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mr_DR said:
I hope they find them all and make them plant trees for the rest of their lives as a just punishment.
Good idea, that's a punishment that would fit the crime.