Quirino con US$1 bill?n: lo relacionan con Mej?a

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Sounds like somebody's illicit fortunes tops that of the Domnican Central Bank, whose reserve is far short of one billion US$ !

Will we see somebody follow the footsteps of Noriega (former Panamanian leader incarcerated in the US on drug trafficking charges) ??

-------------------------------------------------------

http://diariolibre.com/app/article.aspx?id=30915

Quirino con US$1 bill?n: lo relacionan con Mej?a

A Quirino lo grabaron transando cientos kgs de coca

SANTO DOMINGO. John O?Donnell, abogado del Gobierno de los Estados Unidos, afirma que la fortuna que posee el extraditado ex capit?n del Ej?rcito Nacional Quirino Ernesto Paulino Castillo es de US$1,000 millones. Mientras que Les Owen, director del Centro Correccional Metropolitano de Nueva York, donde est? encarcelado el presunto capo, dice que la fortuna incluye bienes como helic?pteros, carros, hoteles. "?l tiene vastos recursos. El ten?a una conexi?n directa con el ex presidente de la Rep?blica Dominicana", dijo Owen en una audiencia preliminar en Nueva York, cuya transcrpci?n fue publicada por el peri?dico Diario@Diario

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Let me see what we learnt from the past...

When Pe?a G?mez' involvement with drug traficking was "suggested" by two ex-DEA agents the PRD, then in power, started the wailing and gnashing of teeth, and with much fanfarre announced that the government would hire lawyers in the US to sue the two ex-DEA agents and "clean the memory" of their beloved Pe?a. What ever came to that?

Expect the same again.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Pib said:
Let me see what we learnt from the past...

When Pe?a G?mez' involvement with drug traficking was "suggested" by two ex-DEA agents the PRD, then in power, started the wailing and gnashing of teeth, and with much fanfarre announced that the government would hire lawyers in the US to sue the two ex-DEA agents and "clean the memory" of their beloved Pe?a. What ever came to that?

Expect the same again.

One thing I've learned, is that the PRD is to drug trafficking as Presidente is to beer. A means to an end.

As far as their beloved Pe?a Gomez, I wouldnt want to know what would have happened to the DR with that guy in power.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
From DR1 Daily News, Friday, 8 April 2005:

Former President mentioned in NY case
New York District Judge Gerard E. Lynch declined to rule on the petition for change in the solitary confinement (SHU) at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York of arrested former Dominican army captain Quirino Ernesto Paulino Castillo. He said he would leave the decision up to the Judge Kimba Woods who has been in charge of the case.
Quirino Ernesto Paulino's lawyers had requested a change to regular prison status. But the MCC prison facility director, Les Owen said that Paulino was not an ordinary prisoner.
During the hearing, Les Owen argued against the change of status and told the judge that Paulino was given special status in the jail based on his personal fortune, estimated at US$1 billion that includes helicopters, cars and hotels.
Furthermore, he stated in court that Paulino had a direct connection with the former President of the Republic and mentioned that it was the then President himself, according to his reports, who had reincorporated Paulino into the army. Owen also linked Paulino to the director of a jail who was arrested in a major drug bust. In his recommendations to maintain the solitary confinement status, he cautions that Paulino would be capable of giving the jail serious problems, mentions the possibility of an escape.
The Quirino Paulino case vs. the United States government is heard at the United States District Court of the Southern District of New York. John O'Donnell, assistant lawyer, explained to Judge Lynch that Paulino was accused of being the head of an important and large drug smuggling organization that had imported tons of cocaine to the US, and that two of the shipments, of which they have two taped conversations regarding a shipment of hundreds of kilograms of cocaine, had been stolen from another smuggler in New York.
For more background on the case, see dr1 news archives at http://dr1.com/news/2005/ or
http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/2005/02/04/drug.shtml and
http://www.diariohorizonte.com/view/articulo_nacionales.aspx?articleid=634&zoneid=9

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Also note that Hernani Salazar has sued lawyer Marino Vinicio Castillo (Vincho) for libel in related him to the drug smuggling cases being heard in the US. This has given the controversial and very vocal lawyer, and former director of the National Drug Council, green light to dig into the case. So expect lots of revelations once the case is aired in mid May.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Nadie est? por encima de la ley

The editorial in Listin Diario today was interesting,
( http://www.listindiario.com.do/cuerpos/editorial.htm ), which brings to me some questions that I consider to be very important and want to ask of our readers. Especially those that are Dominican:

1.Do you believe ex presidente Hip?lito Mej?a was connected to Quirino Ernesto Paulino and if so how deeply?

2.Do you believe this will come out in its entirety to the public?

3.What is your opinion as to the effect this will have on the PRD political party?

4.How many of the rats of that political party will jump ship if they see the ship sinking?

5.Is this the start of a more accountable government?

;) ;) ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
1.Do you believe ex presidente Hip?lito Mej?a was connected to Quirino Ernesto Paulino and if so how deeply?

A photo of Quirino and Sergio Grullon, the brother in law of President Mejia and his Secretary of the Presidency, was published in the press.

There is another photo of Mejia that has been published in the press where the President is seen with the beneficiary of a millionaire loan that now the US justice is incriminating in the Quirino-related drug scandal.

Mejia has been signaled by his former chief of staff (Soto Jimenez) as reponsible for the last promotion of Quirino, shortly before his leaving office.

2.Do you believe this will come out in its entirety to the public?

The fact that Hernani Salazar sued Vincho Castillo can only help. Also the case is being heard in the US, and thus lots of the case is public, and politics have less interference in that court (although politics may have to do if a former President is involved).

3.What is your opinion as to the effect this will have on the PRD political party?

Not much. The PRD has somewhat distanced itself from the PPH -- Hipolito and supporters/beneficiaries.

4.How many of the rats of that political party will jump ship if they see the ship sinking?
The PRD has many life rafts on board.

5.Is this the start of a more accountable government?
One would hope for this, but this is not about corruption as much as about getting involved in drug trafficking, the reason why this case is being heard in the US.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Rumor today is that then Leonel campaign manager Francisco Javier Garcia, now minister of industry, received lots of founds from Quirino for the 2004 elections.
So much, that Quirino's lawyer, on Cesar Medinas show this week said that his client never thought he would be treated like this with this government and obviously then tried not to say more or change what he started to say at first. Apparently they are saving the juiciest stuff for last.
This is better than a Brazilian soap opera!!
Though unlikely, I'd love to see them all being called, PRD next to PLD. Now more than before one can appreciate they are all fundamentally the same.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I'm confused

Quote by Dolores:
Not much. The PRD has somewhat distanced itself from the PPH -- Hipolito and supporters/beneficiaries.

Dolores I must then ask you if this article that is in today?s Listin Diario,
( http://www.listindiario.com.do/cuerpos/republica/rep5.htm ), should in reality be PPH in place of the letters PRD? It says the PRD is ready to defend Mej?a and Sanchez Baret. According to the article all 365 PRD members present at the meeting last night voted for the defense of these two idiots. As an American I am having a difficult time understanding how there seems to be a political party within a political party and with such adverse ideas. It was my understanding that this is why De Camps started the PRSD. Is the PRD in fact being run completely by the PPH faction? From what I read and hear this is the case so I once again ask;

My quote from post # 7:
;) ;) ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Check Orlando Gil's analysis in the Listin Diario today. He explains what is happening. That is, the PRD is scheduled for internal election on 5 June. That means that those who seek votes will not doing anything to distance them, even if they do not agree with their performance in the past government. They need their favor to achieve their aspirations in the PRD convention set for June. Thus, for the next weeks, the PPH faction leaders will not be subject of major criticism. Until then, the political priorities are other. After the convention, then you will see the PPH - PRD distancing to a certain degree by those who do not want to be soiled by the mud that will be shoved around.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was just leafing through today's Diario Libre and there are several separate articles about the various corruption cases involving the previous government: the Quirino connection, Sanchez Baret, Renove and others. Seems as if a great deal of each government's time is dedicated to pursuing the deeds of the one preceding it. See also today's Boquechivo cartoon.

Defence arguments are of the 'but everybody else does it' and 'the dog ate my homework' variety.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
Dolores I must then ask you if this article that is in today?s Listin Diario,
( http://www.listindiario.com.do/cuerpos/republica/rep5.htm ), should in reality be PPH in place of the letters PRD? It says the PRD is ready to defend Mej?a and Sanchez Baret. According to the article all 365 PRD members present at the meeting last night voted for the defense of these two idiots. As an American I am having a difficult time understanding how there seems to be a political party within a political party and with such adverse ideas. It was my understanding that this is why De Camps started the PRSD. Is the PRD in fact being run completely by the PPH faction? From what I read and hear this is the case so I once again ask;

My quote from post # 7:

;) ;) ;)

The PPH is a faction of the PRD kinda what the Christian Coalition is to the Republicans. The PPH is the wealthiest part of the PRD and the most active one. With 95% of the PRD being uneducated and delincuent at heart, most will kiss the *** of whoever has the money to finance the party and now the PPH is the faction that has the economic pull within the party. The thing is that the PPH has been running the show within the party since the lat congressional election. Without the PPH, the PRD will loose bearings untill things fall into order again abnd a new head honcho emerges.

This is probably the main reason why the government is trying to do all it can to 'deactivate' it before 2006. I would do the same, I'd try to cut the head off the snake before the electiones get near.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
What I needed

Thank you Samiam as that was a very good explanation. Now I have a better understanding of those articles I read and the things I hear people say. Once again thank you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Lived through it..

I've only lived through DR elections once. Now I get to see the aftermath and it is like nothing I've ever seen before.. I've lived through the Hippo era so, have no simpathy for any politician from that era.

One simple question.. Is what is happening now semi-normal? very normal? or quite out of wack? (for sure it 'aint normal!)