Our first dominican in the NFL

Axelar

Jul 28, 2004
First, Let him make the Team

At this point, he probably deserves more recognition and contratulations for his academic achievements. BTW, Carlos Perez (Florida)was on the Eagles roster last year.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Isn't Tony Gonzalez (TE) for the Kansas City Chiefs Dominican or 1 parent from DR?

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Another NY Dominican, Stalin Colinet played in the NFL from 1997-2002 with the Vikings and Browns.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
NY1 said:
Another NY Dominican, Stalin Colinet played in the NFL from 1997-2002 with the Vikings and Browns.
I think that this guy must be really good since they are making such a big splash about him.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I hope he does well. The only problem is I've looked at a few draft boards and none have him in the top 3 rounds. Northwestern isn't exactly a hotbed for NFL players either.
I had high hopes for Carlos Perez from UF. He can still make a name for himself, but only time will tell. I'll be watching the draft and rooting for Luis Castillo though.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
NY1 said:
I hope he does well. The only problem is I've looked at a few draft boards and none have him in the top 3 rounds. Northwestern isn't exactly a hotbed for NFL players either.
I had high hopes for Carlos Perez from UF. He can still make a name for himself, but only time will tell. I'll be watching the draft and rooting for Luis Castillo though.
You and me both.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Great athlete, not Dominican

capodominicano said:
Isn't Tony Gonzalez (TE) for the Kansas City Chiefs Dominican or 1 parent from DR?

From an on-line bio:

"Tony?s last name and his skin color made most people think he was pure Hispanic. But his family roots ran much deeper. One of his grandmothers was white, and the other heralded from Jamaica. His mother?s father was part American Indian and part African-American. His other grandfather was a native of Cape Verdan, located among the Portuguese islands off the African coast. His last name, Goncals, is pronounced ?Gonzalez? when Americanized, and when he came to the U.S. that is how it was recorded. It has been the family name ever since."

Tony is an interesting guy who recently spent most of an off-season living with a family in Mexico to learn Spanish and connect to the Hispanic aspects of his heritage.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
sweetdbt said:
From an on-line bio:

"Tony?s last name and his skin color made most people think he was pure Hispanic. But his family roots ran much deeper. One of his grandmothers was white, and the other heralded from Jamaica. His mother?s father was part American Indian and part African-American. His other grandfather was a native of Cape Verdan, located among the Portuguese islands off the African coast. His last name, Goncals, is pronounced ?Gonzalez? when Americanized, and when he came to the U.S. that is how it was recorded. It has been the family name ever since."

Tony is an interesting guy who recently spent most of an off-season living with a family in Mexico to learn Spanish and connect to the Hispanic aspects of his heritage.

Thanks for the info, some guy told me he was Dominican when I was in High School. I would have not guessed his background I thought he was "latino".

Malafama

Mar 17, 2005
Tutan Reyes

There is also another dominican who is actively playing, his name is Tutan Reyes. He plays for the Carolina Panthers if i'm not mistaken he is a guard. 6'3 299 pounds....

Axelar

Jul 28, 2004
Who Knows for Sure

Duress? Honest? We can't say.

Without any doubt, one reason for coming clean is that the NFL tests for this stuff during the combines. So either you let them know or they'll find out anyway. The problem now is that he will have THE "cloud" over him and will likely get tested much more often.

Andro is not an illegal substance (you can find it in some vitamin stores). It is banned by the NFL but not by MLB. You might recall this as the mysterious substance Mark Mcgwire was using while chasing Roger Maris' single season homerun record.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
He only needs

to worry about the extra testing if he plans on continuing to use the stuff. This kid is no dummy (they don't let them in at Northwestern). Mel Kuyper rates him the best D-tackle in the draft. He has a good future, and it's to his credit that he was up front.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
San Diego

just picked Luis with the 28th pick of the first round! Apparently the steriod thing didn't hurt him at all. They made no mention of the fact he was raised in the DR.

San Diego should be a great situation for him as he will be under no pressure to step in and star immediatly for a playoff caliber team. Being bi-lingual in that market won't hurt him either, although the Mexicans may make fun of a Dominican accent.

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
Dominican accent is Sexy!

sweetdbt said:
just picked Luis with the 28th pick of the first round! Apparently the steriod thing didn't hurt him at all. They made no mention of the fact he was raised in the DR.

San Diego should be a great situation for him as he will be under no pressure to step in and star immediatly for a playoff caliber team. Being bi-lingual in that market won't hurt him either, although the Mexicans may make fun of a Dominican accent.

Mexicans shouldn't make fun of the way anyone speaks! Dominican accent is so very sexy, much better then Mexican. I am VERY HAPPY to see another dominicano in the NFL. WHO YA! The more Dominicanos we can get here the better country we will be. :cheeky:

Last edited:

angela-in-nj

May 1, 2005
Mr_DR said:
Luis Castillo will be the first athlete to represent the DR by playing in the National Football League.

His future in the NFL looks very bright and we all should be proud of him not only as dominicans, pero como latino americano en si.

http://www.diariolibre.com/app/article.aspx?id=31000

Wow that's wonderful, my son loves football and is dreaming of making it big some day, even though that game scares me, soo rough, but he loves that.
love
Angela

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
angela-in-nj said:
Wow that's wonderful, my son loves football and is dreaming of making it big some day, even though that game scares me, soo rough, but he loves that.
love
Angela
Just give him support and let him be passionate for something he loves. By having his mind set on a goal will only strengthen him, keep him focus and most likely away from developing bad habits and bad influence that could come from the streets.

I hope that he never loses that passion for the game and wish him all the luck in the world.