Getting around in Santo Domingo

krissiebee

Mar 21, 2005
Hi everyone:

I'm going to Santo Domingo in May for a conference. The conference is being held at the new Hilton on the Malecon. We get a slightly discounted rate for rooms there, but it appears that I can get a less expensive room at one of the non-chain hotels in the Zona Colonial. As convenient as it would be to stay in the conference hotel, I am a graduate student and need to economize as much as possible (especially since I'll probably be spending $600 on airfare).

So my questions are: is the distance between the Zona Colonial area and the Malecon easily walkable? I've looked at maps but can't really tell. If not, how's the bus system in SD?

Thanks.
Kristina

PS: if you can recommend any comfortable and generally non-sketchy SD hotels for less than $90/night, please let me know! Internet access is a plus.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It is easily walkable. The bus systems and the taxi cooperativos are probably a bit much to master anyway. How big is the price difference between the Hilton and your hotel (which hotel did to choose?)?

You might check prices at the Melia and Jaragua and you'd still be on the Malecon.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am not that up to date on Sto Dgo

Hotels, and I am sure some of the other posters can come up with something , perhaps better. Try Aparta Hotel Plaza Florida on Bolivar 203 (809 541 3957 & fax # 809 381 0502). The taxis in Santo Domingo should be about $3 per trip (RD$100??).

As far as walking from the Zona Colonial to the Hotel Hilton in the Malecon Center, be sure to take lots of deoderant with you as you will arrive all sweaty and dirty...it's about 5 kilometers or so.

HB :D:D

Also you might try the Hotel Napolitano (tel: 809 687 1131 & fax 687 6814) or the Hotel Hispa?ola (809 221 7111) I have stayed at both places and they were nice and are located fairly close to the Malecon Center. (Truth be said it was some time ago, but if I could afford it then, it was cheap!!). The Napolitano is certainly within walking distance.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In the cooler temperature first thing in the morning it is just about walkable, but this coincides with rush hour and all the traffic fumes and noise on the Malecon will ruin the experience. Later in the day you would have to take a taxi, and as HB says it costs about RD$100 as long as you don't use the more expensive tourist taxis that ply their trade outside the hotels and around the Conde in the Colonial Zone. Use a radio taxi service like Apolo by calling 537 0000, or even better, get a Dominican to make the phone call for you. ;)

Several hotels in the ZC that are frequently mentioned in these forums, and are under US$90 (IIRC) include the Europa, the Mercure, the Conde de Penalba and Hostal Elvira.

krissiebee

Mar 21, 2005
Keep 'em coming!

Thanks for all the feedback so far. The rate offered at the Hilton is $89/night for a single. Right now I'm looking particularly at the Mercure Comercial and Antiguo Hotel Europa, which both appear to be about $55/night. I think I also looked at the Conde de Penalba and the Elvira, but don't remember the prices offhand. Since I'll be there for a week, and am traveling alone to the conference, I'd ideally like something a little more "hotelly" than "hostelly", in case I actually want to spend some time at the hotel--sometimes at these things you really need to take a break from all the people. ;)

(By "hostelly", I mean absolute barebones, shared bath, lots of 19-year-old backpackers (not that there's anything wrong with that!) potentially noisy, etc.--the kind of place where you just sleep and leave your stuff, and that's ALL you can or want to do there. That'd be OK for a couple of days, and if I have to do it I will, but a week is a bit much.)

ricktoronto, are the buses more complicated than in, say, DC? I do plan to get out and about in the city, and I thought that might be the best option.

I realized that when I said "easily walkable" I should have thought to mention that I will likely be walking in fairly dressy stuff, skirt, heels, etc. I'm guessing from Chirimoya's last comment that it's not to be walked alone at night? (Not that that's really a good idea anywhere, but sometimes places aren't as dangerous as people think...) There will be conference related activities in the evening that I should attend. Can you hail cabs in SD, or do you need to call and reserve one?

Thanks--keep the ideas coming, please!

Kristina

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
krissiebee said:
ricktoronto, are the buses more complicated than in, say, DC? I do plan to get out and about in the city, and I thought that might be the best option.

Kristina

What there is are probably impossible to figure out or be of practical value, and/or the collectivos which operate on one street and are cheap but you' dneed to know the right street, direction etc. A taxi hotel to hotel would be the best option, though for the small savings per day I wouldn't bother with this plan at all. Since by the time you start taxiing around and everything you may eat up the $30 or so you are trying to save.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
None of the hotels mentioned are 'hostelly' in the way you describe, despite their names. The more basic, backpacker type hostels are on Calle Danae in Gazcue.

It is a long way to walk, especially in high heels. If you must walk alone at night keep to the better-lit, busier streets - using the same common sense you would use anywhere else. You will get looks and comments no matter what.

For public transport from the ZC to the Hilton, you have to go to Parque Independencia and take a bus/carro publico that runs down Av. Bolivar to the intersection with Maximo Gomez. You then walk several blocks from Bolivar down to the Malecon and turn right. To return, you need to walk back up to Av Independencia (only one block from the Malecon) and take a carro or bus to the parque.

See my previous post for advice on taxis.

krissiebee

Mar 21, 2005
ricktoronto said:
What there is are probably impossible to figure out or be of practical value, and/or the collectivos which operate on one street and are cheap but you' dneed to know the right street, direction etc. A taxi hotel to hotel would be the best option, though for the small savings per day I wouldn't bother with this plan at all. Since by the time you start taxiing around and everything you may eat up the $30 or so you are trying to save.

Thanks. We are talking saving over $30 a day, though, so that's a LOT of money over 6-7 days. Not bothering to try to find something less expensive is, unfortunately, really not an option. I'll check the other hotels you recommended as well. I don't know if I'd be cabbing it quite that much...but the info you all have given will help me make a more informed decision.

krissiebee

Mar 21, 2005
Chirimoya said:
For public transport from the ZC to the Hilton, you have to go to Parque Independencia and take a bus/carro publico that runs down Av. Bolivar to the intersection with Maximo Gomez. You then walk several blocks from Bolivar down to the Malecon and turn right. To return, you need to walk back up to Av Independencia (only one block from the Malecon) and take a carro or bus to the parque.

Ok, that does sound like a huge pain in the rear. Sounds a lot like the bus system in my hometown! Takes an hour to get close to your destination, even though it may be literally down the street from your point of departure.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
krissiebee said:
Ok, that does sound like a huge pain in the rear. Sounds a lot like the bus system in my hometown! Takes an hour to get close to your destination, even though it may be literally down the street from your point of departure.

And $210 is not really a lot of money. $210 minus whatever this winds up costing you in cash and inconvenience. I doubt you will even save the $30 a day with some of the hotels mentioned - $89 for the Hilton is a pretty good deal.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hotel Villa Italia

hi Kristina,
a very nearby hotel, definitely within walking distance but heading in the other direction than the Zona Colonial, is Hotel Villa Italia on Av. Independencia 1107, between Alma Mater and Maximo Gomez.
I don't find a website on it immediately, their tel.nr is 682-3373.
I stayed there 1 1/2 half year ago and paid something like 40U$ for a single room. They have a solar terrace and jacuzzi and a small restaurant on the grounds. It's also very near the nice Vesuvio restaurants on the Malecon.
As for visiting the ZC, you will need a taxi or flag down one of the many carro publicos that pass by the hotel and that go to Parque Independencia, the entrance of the ZC.
Bartolomeo

krissiebee

Mar 21, 2005
ricktoronto said:
And $210 is not really a lot of money. $210 minus whatever this winds up costing you in cash and inconvenience. I doubt you will even save the $30 a day with some of the hotels mentioned - $89 for the Hilton is a pretty good deal.

Not to start an unnecessary argument, but trust me--$210 IS a lot of money when you're in grad school. :D I'm not trying to be stupidly, shortsightedly cheap here--the conference is a great opportunity, but money is tight and funding options are very limited. $210 will pay several bills for me. Heck, saving $100 helps. I know the $89 is a good deal, and I'd love to take it--it's just that I fear it will still be out of my price range for a weeklong stay. What I'm trying to figure out is what the most convenient lower-priced option would be, short of only staying long enough to present my paper and immediately leaving afterwards.

krissiebee

Mar 21, 2005
Bartolomeo67 said:
hi Kristina,
a very nearby hotel, definitely within walking distance but heading in the other direction than the Zona Colonial, is Hotel Villa Italia on Av. Independencia 1107, between Alma Mater and Maximo Gomez.

Hi--Thanks, I'll look this one up as well. How far is it from the Malecon?

europeanguy

Nov 23, 2004
At the back of the Hilton is hotel Metur, so within VERY easy walking distance, where you can stay for around US$25 a night. You will find more on the hotel when you do a search on this forum. www.hotelmetur.com
As a second option I'd recommend Vila Italia as recommended above. It has better service than metur. Metur is basic, but it has good, clean rooms. As a first time visitor I'd recommend not use too many taxis, as they will try to rip you off, 150-200 for a single ride, sometimes even more. Only when you are with a Dominican you pay around 100 pesos, but otherwise be sure to pay the gringo price.

Stephan

Jun 20, 2004
krissiebee said:
Hi everyone:

I'm going to Santo Domingo in May for a conference. The conference is being held at the new Hilton on the Malecon. We get a slightly discounted rate for rooms there, but it appears that I can get a less expensive room at one of the non-chain hotels in the Zona Colonial. As convenient as it would be to stay in the conference hotel, I am a graduate student and need to economize as much as possible (especially since I'll probably be spending $600 on airfare).

So my questions are: is the distance between the Zona Colonial area and the Malecon easily walkable? I've looked at maps but can't really tell. If not, how's the bus system in SD?

Thanks.
Kristina

PS: if you can recommend any comfortable and generally non-sketchy SD hotels for less than $90/night, please let me know! Internet access is a plus.

The nearest cheap hotel I know would be the METUR, a 5 min. walk to the Hilton.
Very basic, had always water.
There is a ESMERALDA guesthouse not far away, however I do not know it from own experience.
It is no good idea to stay at Z.C. and walk to the Hilton in the morning. It is way too far for walking ,30-40 minutes walking in the heat.
If you want to go to Z.C. after conference, catch a GUAGUA at the INDEPENDENCIA, it brings you directly to there.
The way back by GUAGUA is not that easy, like Chirimoya has described.
You better take a taxi, NO touristic taxi, they rip you off, take a APOLLO taxi,
they have been always fair with me.
For the tight budget:
The Hilton/Metur/Esmeralda/Italia are not very far from the University.
There are some cafeterias at the University South Entrance, where you can have breakfast from 7 o`clock and lunch of course ,for dominican prices.

Last edited:

N.C.

Oct 18, 2004
Hi krissiebee

Me and my husband are going to stay at the Hotel called Villa Italia I think is a nice place and we are going to pay 1,300 pesos per night that will be like 48 or 50 dollars, depend on the exchange and you just have to take a taxi to the ZC...
Good Luck. ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
N.C. said:
Me and my husband are going to stay at the Hotel called Villa Italia I think is a nice place and we are going to pay 1,300 pesos per night that will be like 48 or 50 dollars, depend on the exchange and you just have to take a taxi to the ZC...
Good Luck. ;)
FYI. If rate doesn't include taxes, you can expect to add another 20-24%, although some of the smaller hotels don't charge taxes if you pay in cash (USD).

krissiebee

Mar 21, 2005
N.C. said:
Good Luck. ;)

Hi NC (are you in NC?) Have you stayed there before? Were you able to find a website or anything?

I'm not actually trying to go to the ZC (although I'm sure I'll go at least once while I'm there) the problem was that I needed easy access to the Malecon, and most of the less expensive hotels were in the ZC.