Playa El Encuentro -- what's the story?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
DR1 Daily News, 11 April 2005: Protest over beach road privatization
Cabarete community members are gathering national and international support to impede that the access road to Playa El Encuentro, the country's leading surfer beach, be closed off to public access in Puerto Plata. Members of the community protest the show of force and influence that has lead to the illegal privatization of the coastal Camino Viejo access to Playa El Encuentro. Ricardo Ripoll, president of the Association of Surfing of Puerto Plata (ASPP) and coordinator of the Movement Costa del Camino Viejo are seeking national and international support to put an end to the closing of the road. In a notice to the press, Ripoll says that the attempt is in violation of the Dominican Constitution, Environmental Law 64-00 and citizen rights.
The release to the press, signed by Ripoll and Sylvain Aurenche, secretary of the ASPP, explain that since 2000 Hideaway Beach Resort has attempted to privatize this community road and has used contacts with persons of influence in Puerto Plata to successfully close the road on three occasions. They highlight that as of August of last year, armed guards have closed off the road access not only of the Camino Viejo, but of the entire area of Cabo Macoris.
Ripoll explained that since then Hideaway Beach Resort has not allowed anyway who is not a guest at the complex to enter the beach.
Mickey Gough, also spokesman for those who are fighting for surfers and the general public's right to the road, says that so far they have exhausted all proper channels on the local and regional level, including municipal governments, the Ministry of Tourism, Bienes Nacionales and the regional press and have only been met with a series of stall tactics. "We realize now that we must launch a press blitz to the national and international levels to bring pressure to bear on the higher ups," he writes.
Gough says that very good footage of revealing confrontations with Hideaway Beach Resort manager Lluigui Jimenez is available, of the community consensus meeting and the general documental coverage of the extent of the blockage and the tourist/sports activity in the affected area. They also have available documents from several associations and the municipal government backing the initiative including the unanimous resolution passed by the Ayuntamiento Distrito Municipal de Cabarete ordering Hideaway to open the road.
The Association of Surfing of Puerto Plata denounces that this has damaged the image of the Dominican Republic abroad, especially among surfers. DR1 contacted Hideaway Beach management for their side of the story, but did not receive a reply.
Those interested in supporting the movement for free access of the 6.5 kilometer Costa del Camino Viejo pathway to Playa El Encuentro can call 809 805-2436 or write to aspp2@hotmail.com

Anyone who is in Cabarete that is familiar with what has happened there, please let us know more details.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
What a shame

This is the place I'd dreamed about as a kid.

ElEncuentro.jpg

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
This is the place of many family picnics for me, and in the days before that, many exciting adventures! It's a rugged, beautiful spot (with a renownedly powerful undertow) which would be a loss if privatized.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't actually know what exactly is going on. I was at the Surf beach and drove all the way there a few days ago with friends. There were some downed trees blocking the road after the Surf Beach. Could be blocked by guards further up but don't know.

I hear it on the radio but I don't know what exactly they are talking about.

Escott

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Anyone interested in helping out could contact Ricardo at Hotel Tropical Casa Laguna, i.e. he has had a petition going for months which are available to sign in a few businesses in Cabarete, we're puting a copy in our store as well for customers/visitors to sign in favor of keeping the road and all beaches open to public access.

Stay well,
Amy

MM Gough

Apr 9, 2005
"La Costa Libre", the Movement

!!La Costa del CAMINO VIEJO PARA TODOS!!

!Encuentro Libre!

Saludos one & all,

What is La Costa del Camino Viejo
La Costa del Camino Viejo is a 6.5 kilometer strip of world class tropical coastal eco-systems situated between Sosua & Cabarete, Puerto Plata.

Who we are
?La Costa del Camino Viejo para Todos? is a strictly nonprofit volunteer & informal movement, in support of inclusive & sustainable development, representing a diverse range of public and private sector institutions & a multitude of individuals united in the common cause of rescuing Camino Viejo and most importantly it?s adjacent coastal surroundings from the clear and present reality of illegal privatization and environmentally harmful ?development? activities.
Our ranks include the Ayuntamientos de Sosua & Cabarete, the Asociacion de Desarollo de Cabarete, the Juntas de Vecinos de la Cieniga & Vistas de Caribe, la Secretaria de Turismo & la Asociacion de Surf de Puerto Plata amongst others,

THE BROAD GOAL
Our core goal is to develop a broad based community consensus on how this invaluable public asset should be managed. Than as a community, in collaboration with la Secretaria de Medio Ambiente & Recursos Naturales, la Secertaria de Deportes and la Secretaria de Cultura, we propose the public elaboration, legitimization & implementation of a management plan that will address the complex social-economic and environmental imperatives of Nuestro ? CAMINO VIEJO?

PRESENT URGENT TASKS
Foremost is the need to commit immediate and maximum community support to the initiative to liberate & rehabilitate el Camino Viejo so that normal unrestricted use can be resumed and our civil rights to unimpeded use & access are further validated.
Secondly, a collective and focused expansion of the effort to have Camino Viejo & Playa Encuentro officially designated as an Eco-Turistico/Deportivo Parque is crucial at this time.

Our M.O.A.
We operate through groups of coordinators developing effective actions via phone & internet conferencing and informal meetings combined with constant networking with the rest of the community to always maintain, at center, the widest possible panorama of community interests.

HOW YOU CAN LEND A HAND
In order to succeed in this ambitious endeavor we must function in a broad based democratic & transparent manner. As such, your participation through thoughtful input & a vote of approval on meaningful initiatives is the vital cornerstone of our strength.
Apart from that, any available resource, be it human, material or financial, will be abundantly appreciated.
OPERATIONAL FUNDING
There are neither inscription fees nor monthly dues; we have no fixed operational costs and no administrative overhead. We do however enjoy access to the significant recourses of our supporting participants.
Operational costs are covered on an as need be basis and are provided entirely voluntary by the community.

How to Become Part of the Solution
It easy, just let your voice be heard and sign on to our pettition at the Asociacion de Surf de Puerto Plata (ASPP) website http://www.asociaciondesurfingdepuertoplata.com/
than give support to the cause as best you can within your means.

!!Juntos Lograremos el Exito!!

Contacts:
Ricardo Ripoll 809-805-2436 or aspp2@hotmail.com
Phil Lehman 809-974-3675, 5713570 or philliplehman@mac.com
Mick Gough 809-330-6566 or mickey.gough@internet.net.do

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Thats the problem with developers and government, they f^@k things up just for a few buck. If they had their head out of their a$$ they would see that protecting and taking care of the existing appeal will add value to the land and it could be promoted to bring more visitors who can eventually rent houses and hotel rroms in their precious project.

I say burn the whole damn thing if they wont listen!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This will be interesting. It's going to be a stand-off between those pockets that were enriched in the action that we saw there last year near to and on the road, and an outcry from the world surfing bodies, merchants, property owners, tourist stakeholders, environmentalists and whoever feels they can put their oar in... Prime and beautiful land, close to the Great Big North, developing area, hungry developers willing to put many bucks into the right pockets. And we have a government that is really not focused on the North Coast. Yes, I'd say the game is afoot (nice and appropriate quote, windeguy).

What do you all say.. do we contact Greenpeace and make human chains to stop this, or will they shoot us?

lindaC

Apr 14, 2005
Wow, I'm totally amazed in what I'm reading here. I'll be flying down on Sat. for nine days.....thats a great beach. That sucks......I did sign a petition on another local forum where I'm from. Similiar issues. My suggestion is that the developers and government big wigs need to take up surfing. Once they understand that the ocean is a good thing to be in and not just to look at.......lol.....they'll be doing DP before going into work along w/ wet baggies and nasal drip. Yeah don't forget to bring a towel. ;)

GREATZKY

Sep 5, 2003
Better late then never!!!!

WOW, your just talking about this now??????!!!!!!
I'm in california and I hear about this 5 months ago!!!!!
This was a frontpage story on a major surf website (surfline.com) in December!!!!! http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/save_playa_encuentro_access/

I guess if it was a bar or a whore house closing it would be the most dicussed thread on DR1.
Pay no attention to this, it only effects the "low life surfers" anyways, it's not an issue.....
Don't waste your time on the real issues, your Presidente is getting warm.
Cheers

(I don't mean to offend anyone here on the Enviro thread, the jab goes out to all the a-hole xpats that litter the "living" forum with all of there B.S. condoning prostitution, dissrespect for woman and all of the other crap that goes on in the D.R. If they could pimp Mother Nature, they would!!!!)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I hear ya, Greatzky.

Just one question -- if you knew about it five months ago, why didn't you post about it on DR1? :cheeky: I certainly would have been open then to having it discussed here in the Enviro Forum....

Folks, I said it in my "welcome to the Environment Forum" when this forum was first opened up in Dec. 2003, but I guess it bears repeating. If you see an environmental outrage or just a environmental condition you thing is not getting the attention it should, bring it here. Reportedly this forum gets read by some surprising people, so you never know...

Likewise, you know a natural wonder (mountain, dunes, park, bay, lake, camping spot, etc.) you'd like to highlight or discuss and want to do so without waiting for the excuse of filing a "trip report," that's welcome here too.

Regards,
Keith R
The Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

GREATZKY

Sep 5, 2003
Keith R said:
I hear ya, Greatzky.

Just one question -- if you knew about it five months ago, why didn't you post about it on DR1? :cheeky: I certainly would have been open then to having it discussed here in the Enviro Forum....

Folks, I said it in my "welcome to the Environment Forum" when this forum was first opened up in Dec. 2003, but I guess it bears repeating. If you see an environmental outrage or just a environmental condition you thing is not getting the attention it should, bring it here. Reportedly this forum gets read by some surprising people, so you never know...

Likewise, you know a natural wonder (mountain, dunes, park, bay, lake, camping spot, etc.) you'd like to highlight or discuss and want to do so without waiting for the excuse of filing a "trip report," that's welcome here too.

Regards,
Keith R
The Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

Keith,
I have fought for the respect of woman in the D.R. on DR1 since I left the country and the only person that seems to care about that issue is Lambada (what a doll).
Most xpats on DR1 can only see through "emerald glasses"... the bottom of there Presidente!!!!
I try not to waste my time....
I moved over there to spread the Environmental message, but it was a waste of time...
I left the country because my job was killing me and so was El Norta (?sp) power plant polution,
Honestly Environmentalism in the D.R. is a Oxy-moron....!!!!
you can not help something if it does not want to help itself (the Gov./ the people).
You have a huge task ahead of you...I wish you luck, but don"t kill yourself doing it....
Aloha and mahalo
P.M. me and I'll send you some of my pictures of the P.O.P. port and malecon.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't quite understand all this. I drove right to the Beach and the Surfing beach without a problem. Going to El Rocon has nothing to do with Hideaway so what does that have to do with it?

I rode a horse from Cabarete to El Encuentro and not a guard or a gate to be seen.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Broad discussion Rubi 92.5 FM Sunday Morning

Tomorrow morning at around 11:00am this subject is going to be discussed on my Sunday morning radio show. You can access Rubi 92.5 live from this very website. Or just tune in.

As a responsible broadcaster the station will only broadcast fact and not speculation, and will naturally not come out on either "side". I am hoping that if I do my job properly then the show we be unbiased and truthful, and at the end of the broadcast the conclusions that you draw will be your own. If anyone would like a particular point raised for serious debate then pm me with a brief message by 5:00pm in order to give me enough time to programme the show. I will do my very best to include everyones questions and comments.

Simon

- Oh by the way, we first brought the situation up on the show several months ago.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Simon & Nicky said:
- Oh by the way, we first brought the situation up on the show several months ago.
Well, if there is a next time for something like this, please give us here on DR1's Environment Forum a heads-up like you did today, ok? Or failing that, please raise the issue here soon after you raise it on the show.

Muchisimas gracias,
Keith :glasses:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Keith's point is quite valid, and quite an interesting question... why has no-one raised the question here before? (and this includes myself). My son is an avid surfer, so we get to Encuentro from time to time to check out a new board, or a new something, or just check out the waves. For me, it is quite simple... putting my oar in where others don't want it. It is a risk, pure and simple. As you say Keith, strange people are known to frequent the forums. So, if I'm not careful, I get hatemail.

The last time that I posted a personal 'encuentro' on DR1, the environmentalists (or those who think they are, no offense to anyone...) really attacked the issue and the thread... it was as if somehow somone stuck a microphone under my mouth in order to 'create a soundbite'. And this was a simple issue of a place that I visited that was truly enjoyable, despite the environmental problems.

Scott, if you read the posts before this one, there are two issues... Open access to Playa El Encuentro is slowly being eroded... talk to the surfers (the intelligent ones) and this will become clear. Subtle intimidation if they move an inch toward Hideaway's 'claimed beach front', outright threats, a real threat to the planned surfing competition, and so on.

Secondly, quoting from MM Gough's post.. The people that are involved are trying to get the whole area....., "Camino Viejo & Playa Encuentro officially designated as an Eco-Turistico/Deportivo Parque", in order to ensure that it is free for enjoyment of surfers and other water sport enthusiasts for the future.

My own feeling is that the effort is doomed to failure unless the broader surfing community gets involved and brings this to the forefront of global sporting circles. Will this happen? I hope so, as in my estimation, all beaches should be open. Others feel differently.

Simon, would much appreciate if you could do a precis of your show here on the board for us that are not on the North Coast tomorrow morning. (I'm in Punta Rusia.. another 'hotly contested' area as you may remember ;) ).

This post is already too long, but I cannot help but add.. Dammit! Playa El Encuentro is rare in the Caribbean. There are few surfing beaches in our area of the world. Real dedicated surfers are usually environmentally aware. This beach should be dedicated to the sport that it is ideal for.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Chris said:
This is really welcome news. Hope it becomes reality.

The news:

DR1 Daily News -- 12 May 2005:

Playa Encuentro situation improves
Following a meeting with deputy minister of Tourism for Puerto Plata, Cesar Jose de los Santos, Mickey Gough, spokesman for the La Costa del Camino Viejo Movement reports that "good headway" has been made towards resolving the dispute over the closure of the access road to the leading surfer beach in the DR while at the same time regulating traffic along the beach road. De los Santos had met with coalition members. Puerto Plata businessman Juan Carlos Morales also participated in the meetings invited by De los Santos. Gough said that De los Santos, representing the Ministry of Tourism, accepted proposals for access and parking options for the beach. A second meeting was set for next week and once the proposal is approved, it could be legalized within 15 days. The proposal focuses on controlled beach access, dune protection, protection of flora and fauna, educational program, beach erosion, designation of Encuentro Beach as an official surfing area, establishing of a training and certification program for surfing instructors and the school and tour operators, lifeguard and first aid services at Playa Encuentro.

GREATZKY

Sep 5, 2003
Jaun Carlos Morales is a stand up Gentelman!!!!

Puerto Plata businessman Juan Carlos Morales also participated in the meetings invited by De los Santos.

I had the pleasure of working with Juan Carlos; he is a great person, kind, educated and a caring individual with a wonderful family. If any one could help, it is J.C., he had my back during my short stay on the Island and got me out of a few tight situations. JUAN CARLOS IS THE MAN, I feel positive about a good outcome for us Surfers and others who use that beautiful stretch of ?God?s Country?.

franberu

Apr 5, 2002
Realy glad that the situation is improving at Encuentro

I have attend to one reunion of the group preocupied by Encuentro situation.
I share their preocupations and I am happy to learn that the situation is improving.