Closing POP

Jun 5, 2004
I have heard in many cahances that it is just a matter of time until the Aeropuerto Internacional Gregorio Luperon is closed down. Only a tourists fly to there and not much since most prefer La Romana or Punta Cana. Cibao International took over almost all the passangers. Do you guys think that these things will happen?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Clown Bin Material?

Have you been sniffing something you shouldn't have?
Where in the world did you get this idea?
I can't think of anything in your post that is correct.
Most people prefer La Romana & Punta Cana?
You've got to be kidding.
That's where people go for the first time, when they don't know any better, or maybe they're newly weds or nearly deads who just found a good all inclusive deal.
And as for STI airport stealing all the passengers from POP, you quite obviously have not been to both airports.
If STI handles 10% of what POP handles, I would be surprised.... Really surprised.
Now tell me, what in the world are "cahances"?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Airport statistics for the January-March 2005:

Punta Cana: 414,406 inbound travelers (400,086 in 2004);
Las Americas: 312,118 inbound travelers (265,965 in 2004);
Puerto Plata: 216,058 inbound travelers (221,353 in 2004);
La Romana: 93,174 inbound travelers (80,204 in 2004);
Cibao: 91,451 inbound travelers (47,728 in 2004).

Actually, Puerto Plata International Airport has been affected by the opening of the Santiago airport. The stats do show this. When the airport in El Catey opens up, Puerto Plata International should hurt some more. The interesting thing is that Catey is totally owned by the people who operate the Puerto Plata International Airport, contrary to Cibao, which is another venture. El Catey will grab all the San Francisco de Macoris travelers, and those headed to Maria Trinidad Sanchez province (Playa Grande, Cabrera areas).

Puerto Plata needs to keep its regular flights to not depend on charter tourism, but it will be interesting to see what happens when El Catey opens.

Last edited:

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
apdomini100max said:
I have heard in many cahances that it is just a matter of time until the Aeropuerto Internacional Gregorio Luperon is closed down. Only a tourists fly to there and not much since most prefer La Romana or Punta Cana. Cibao International took over almost all the passangers. Do you guys think that these things will happen?

The answer is NO!!!!!

Cibao is the lowest ;) ;)

Si cierran el aeropuerto de POP se jode los resorts en Playa dorada. Recuerda que estan haciendo otro aeropuerto en Samana.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Dolores said:

Actually, Puerto Plata International Airport has been affected by the opening of the Santiago airport. The stats do show this. When the airport in El Catey opens up, Puerto Plata International should hurt some more. The interesting thing is that Catey is totally owned by the people who operate the Puerto Plata International Airport, contrary to Cibao, which is another venture. El Catey will grab all the San Francisco de Macoris travelers, and those headed to Maria Trinidad Sanchez province (Playa Grande, Cabrera areas).

Puerto Plata needs to keep its regular flights to not depend on charter tourism, but it will be interesting to see what happens when El Catey opens.
If American would bring back the flights that it sent to Santiago instead of only one a day from NY this may be different. In the mean time the loss was so minimal it is almost a non issue.

I have seen most flights full from POP to JFK since Santiago opened.

Escott

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
bad government

Adding El Catey for Samana and Pedernales for the South (in which decade still remains to be seen), the DR certainly will hold the Guinness Record for the highest number of airports per area.
The more international airports the DR opens, the less profitable each one of them will be. That's pure business logic, supply and demand.
Imo, the number of tourists will not increase substantially with new airports since the new destinations do not offer anything new the tourist hasn't seen yet. The same number of tourists will be divided over more areas. So, who's winning?
The government would better invest to improve road infrastructure and shorten travel times between cities instead of giving favors to local politicians and businesses.
Bartolomeo

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Puerto Plata will not close any time soon if ever. I think they will definitely continue to lose business to Santiago and evern more if the one in Samana is finally built (Will it ever?)....but as long as there's tourism in the Puerto plata area people will fly into that airport. Santiago is a bit too far for tourists to drive to their hotels.
On a personal note I used to fly through POP and haven't done so since Santiago opened up. Just a matter of convinience for me...STI is only about 1 hour from my home so more time to drink, party, enjoy the family, etc...

In terms of The DR having too many international airports, I wish there were even more as long as they are privately funded. Heck I wish they built one in Cotui just for me...
Have you ever tried to get a ticket to The DR during the christmas or easter season? As far as I'm concerned we need a few more...specially if they are within one hour drive from my house....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dolores said:

Interesting stats.

Personally, I think simple economics will dictate the traffic flow of these three airports once El Catey opens.

For example, among the local population or Dominican expatriates, the single most important thing to them is proximity. They will fly into the closest airport possible. Price might come second.

That is unless the government turns Carretera Luperon into an autopista all the way to Sanchez, Samana and if the government builds a new autopista connecting Nagua with San Francisco, Salcedo, Moca, passing near Licey al Medio (near the Cibao airport) and reaching Santiago.

Under such case, travel time in the north coast/Cibao/Samana area wil be greatly reduced and much more efficient.

Under such circumstances pricing will become much more important than proximity for some. For example, if the drive from Puerto Plata to Santiago is cut down to a 30 to 45 minutes ride, some Satiagueros or Mocanos would choose to fly into Puerto Plata rather than into Santiago if flights to Puerto Plata are cheaper. Since the ground ride won't be too long, why not!

Also, the drive from Santiago to Samana drops to around 1 hour drive and a few minutes, many more Santiagueros will fly into Catey if Catey offers cheaper flights. As demand falls for airport A and demand picks up on airport B, flying into Airport A will become cheaper and Airport B much more expensive. This will dictate the flow of traffic into each airport, but only if land travel is substancially cut down.

Under our current reality, Puerto Plata will not collapse, it will probably be reduced, but that is better for most people in the area. I'm sure those people who are affected by airplane noise would appreciate having a few less airplanes flying over their roofs. And as long that tourism keeps its self alive (with the new influx of luxury resorts opening in Puerto Plata area this should be so), then I don't see what the problem is.

It's better to have a large volume of airplanes landing in a spread out area than all landing in one mega airport.

Imagine how the quality of life would go down in the Puerto Plata airport of all the traffic that Santiago has, the traffic that El Catey will have and all the additional taffic each airport will receive after that as tourism grows! Yikes!

I think its time for the government to invest heavily into the Autopista infrastructure across the country for easier and quicker travel nationwide for everybody.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Reality check...

There is no way the POP International Airport will ever close. There are far, far too many tourist areas in the proximity, let alone local Dominicans returning home to visit. Lets consider Playa Dorada, Contambar, Cofresi, Sosua, Cabarete, Rio San Juan, and Playa Grande to name a few. That is not mention the future project of Playa Bergantine that will bring in close to the number of tourists that Playa Dorada currently attracts. The North Coast of the DR would suffocate without an airport in that area. Sure Dominicans may be willing to spend an hour or more on a bus to get them home or have family members pick them up, TOURISTS are not so willing or flexible!!! Personally, I don't think anyone ever has to worry about the POP Airport closing.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Puerto plata will not be affected if El catey airport open its door nither El cibao. El catey airport will be just like La romana for tourist people and some people that live in the area. People from San francisco de macoris will continue to used Santiago airport beacase its only 45 minutes to 60 minutes in car. San francisco to el catey airport will be about 2 hours long. La romana airport and cibao there not too many flights in a day compare to Punta cana,Santo domingo and Puerto plata. We will see this airport open for a very long time. ;)

Jun 5, 2004
Escott said:
If American would bring back the flights that it sent to Santiago instead of only one a day from NY this may be different. In the mean time the loss was so minimal it is almost a non issue.

I have seen most flights full from POP to JFK since Santiago opened.

Escott

This is mostly because since they had 3 flights a day all th epoeple on those different times had to come to one flight and that will fill that up.

Jun 5, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Interesting stats.

Personally, I think simple economics will dictate the traffic flow of these three airports once El Catey opens.

For example, among the local population or Dominican expatriates, the single most important thing to them is proximity. They will fly into the closest airport possible. Price might come second.

That is unless the government turns Carretera Luperon into an autopista all the way to Sanchez, Samana and if the government builds a new autopista connecting Nagua with San Francisco, Salcedo, Moca, passing near Licey al Medio (near the Cibao airport) and reaching Santiago.

Under such case, travel time in the north coast/Cibao/Samana area wil be greatly reduced and much more efficient.

Under such circumstances pricing will become much more important than proximity for some. For example, if the drive from Puerto Plata to Santiago is cut down to a 30 to 45 minutes ride, some Satiagueros or Mocanos would choose to fly into Puerto Plata rather than into Santiago if flights to Puerto Plata are cheaper. Since the ground ride won't be too long, why not!

Also, the drive from Santiago to Samana drops to around 1 hour drive and a few minutes, many more Santiagueros will fly into Catey if Catey offers cheaper flights. As demand falls for airport A and demand picks up on airport B, flying into Airport A will become cheaper and Airport B much more expensive. This will dictate the flow of traffic into each airport, but only if land travel is substancially cut down.

Under our current reality, Puerto Plata will not collapse, it will probably be reduced, but that is better for most people in the area. I'm sure those people who are affected by airplane noise would appreciate having a few less airplanes flying over their roofs. And as long that tourism keeps its self alive (with the new influx of luxury resorts opening in Puerto Plata area this should be so), then I don't see what the problem is.

It's better to have a large volume of airplanes landing in a spread out area than all landing in one mega airport.

Imagine how the quality of life would go down in the Puerto Plata airport of all the traffic that Santiago has, the traffic that El Catey will have and all the additional taffic each airport will receive after that as tourism grows! Yikes!

I think its time for the government to invest heavily into the Autopista infrastructure across the country for easier and quicker travel nationwide for everybody.

Sounds very reasonable even though i doubt that the goverment will make all these carreteras. if they do that will only be great. I believe that STI will be better for passsangers except for tourist people look for cheap fares. Since out of JFK AA is the only one who flies to POP and has only one nonstop one will figure that STI with about 4 non stops will have better fares which is what Dominicans look for. STI has more airlines flying out of JFK

xxeonzz

May 30, 2004
dont see why

I dont see why POP would close. The POP region is a international tourist destination. What we wont see is many dominicans (except those from puerto plata) flying there from the states.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
POP still has "slots" available and I cant understand why the European flight operators dont get their act together and increase the flights to here.
Its almost impossible to get flights from Europe sometimes. Many of my clients have to travel to other airports in DR and travel by road to the North Coast.

Jun 5, 2004
Ladybird said:
POP still has "slots" available and I cant understand why the European flight operators dont get their act together and increase the flights to here.
Its almost impossible to get flights from Europe sometimes. Many of my clients have to travel to other airports in DR and travel by road to the North Coast.

GUESS THE EAST COAST PUJ SOUNDS BETTER TO THEM IN TERMS OF TOURISM I WOULD FIGURE ITS A PAIN TRAVELING FROM PUJ TO POP A 6 HRS RIDE