The Waterfront Restaurant Review

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I wouldnt eat at this place again! Had dinner with 3 others tonight and when the bill came it was 2600 pesos and change. I didn't have enough pesos so I put a Hundred US dollar bill and 3 - 100 peso notes figuring even after the 10 percent tip and the 16 percent itbis tax that I was still giving an extra 10-14% tip.

Well he comes back with my money and says it is NOT enough. I was wondering why since I got 28.20 the last time I exchanged money and 2600 and change would be covered by the 100$ US bill alone.

Well they give 22 to 1 for an exchange rate and not only that you get your change back at the lower rate of exchange also because they wouldnt give you US Dollars back.

Well I went to my car and got a credit card because even the financial institutions don't rip you off that bad. I told the waiter that if I have one extra charge on that credit card I was going to give him more trouble than he would want to deal with. I never use a credit in the DR because of all the stories I hear and will check my account on line to make sure that they didn't double dip me in addition to the insult of 22 pesos to a dollar when it was over 28 pesos. 26 to one if you want to make a few dollars but 22 is insulting.

The food was just fair but the service was good. I left no additional tip other than the 10% that automatically gets put on the bill because I didn't like the fact that they were trying to RIP ME OFF.

THUMBS DOWN on the Waterfront until they realize that they cant take advantage of their customers and treat them like CRAP.

I wouldn't go there again. Evidently other people feel the same way because in the time we were there first hanging out looking at the new beach, chatting and then sitting there were 10 people in total in 3 hours.

You would think that a restaurant that was doing that poorly would NOT try to rip people off.

Escott

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I understand your point but ...

Are you saying that this place normally gives a better rate but they tried to rip you off by giving you a lower rate than usual?

Don't most restaurants offer peso and dollar pricing and the customer is free to choose?

It's not as if they lied about not having change for some large peso notes forcing you to use dollars.

Do other restaurants give much better rates?

Numerous places offer ridiculous exchange rates so most people always pay in pesos.
Freely choosing to pay in dollars and assuming you will get a decent rate is risky and presumptuous to say the least.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Malibook said:
Are you saying that this place normally gives a better rate but they tried to rip you off by giving you a lower rate than usual?

Don't most restaurants offer peso and dollar pricing and the customer is free to choose?

It's not as if they lied about not having change for some large peso notes forcing you to use dollars.

Do other restaurants give much better rates?

Numerous places offer ridiculous exchange rates so most people always pay in pesos.
Freely choosing to pay in dollars and assuming you will get a decent rate is risky and presumptuous to say the least.
What I am saying that the place is overpriced and the food just fair.

They had 10 people in there in 3 hours and 22 to 1 is lower than I have ever heard a place giving for dollars when you do business with them. Most places will give 26 when it is 28 and some places give 30 when it is 28 to get business(Happened in Cabarete). I have NEVER been to a place that gave 22 when the exchange rate was over 28. That is 30% under and just not right in my opinion and that is what counts because I won't eat there again. Some places don't give a damn but I vote with my pocketbook and any influence I can exert on people to do the same.

I am saying that the place has lost my business because of this. I can spend 115 pesos for cheap arse wine somewhere else.

Is that clear to you now?

Last edited:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Escott said:

I agree. On my last visit I had the same feeling. The food is no longer up to the standard it was before, and no longer worth the high price. I also have the impression that the waiters do not always like you to sit outside, overlooking the bay, and that is exactly one of the reasons you go there.
Bartolomeo

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Where is the Waterfront restaurant? Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Casa de Campo, Las Terrenas? :confused:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
agree

We ate there a couple of weeks ago when we were in town. The food was fair at best, overpriced and definitly not worth the effort. This is aside from the "rip off peso rate".

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
credit card

Escott I have used my credit card world wide including the DR and have not yet found that extra charges had been added. Keep your reciepts incase there is a problem. Even had a card stolen in Costa Rica (a long and funny story) and there were 10K of charges on it that we were not responsible for. Have you had a different experience?

Bob K

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Escott said:

Is that clear to you now?
So if you had enough pesos you would still not be returning which is fine but to claim they tried to rip you off is a bit of a stretch.

I am surprised that this place does not offer prices in dollars.

Thanks for the review.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Malibook said:
So if you had enough pesos you would still not be returning which is fine but to claim they tried to rip you off is a bit of a stretch.

Thanks for the review.
I think an exchange rate of 22 when it should be 28 constitutes a rip-off.

Because of recent currency fluctuations, I don't think many places post prices in both pesos and dollars anymore.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I ate at the Waterfront last week with my family. I agree with Escott, the food is "just" ok, but way overpriced. The following night I ate at the small restaurant in Sea Horse Ranch, the food was excellent and cheaper than the Waterfront. More on this later today when I post a review.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
seahorse

We also ate at the small resturant in Sea Horse Ranch. The food was very good and a good value. My understanding that it is not open to the general public and the reason the prices are reasonable is that the homeowners there elected not to raise the prices since the resturant is basically for them and the folks that are renting villas there. Sounds like the resturant may be subsidized by the homeowners.

Bob K

Axelar

Jul 28, 2004
Have them Pesos

If you want to eat at this place, you have to make sure you show up with enough pesos, otherwise avoid it. Each time I have gone there, the staff always play this little game with the dollar/peso exchange hoping to squeeze you for a few dollars more (remember Clint Eastwood).

The last time I ate there (late 04) I gave him a take or leave it proposition, because I was walking... he took it. I agree about the food; average at best.

Nov 5, 2004
Over priced? Deffinatly...but you are also paying for the beautiful view.

I have eaten there a few times.

Me and Carlos took my mom and dad to eat there a few days after our wedding, and the view is amazing. Maybe thoes who live in the DR and get "used to" how the DR looks won't find it as amazing. My dad never likes to pay more the he has to for anything if he can help it, and he wasn't thrilled with the prices..but he agreed it was worth it to relax and eat there with the wonderful view.

The food isn't bad at all...maybe nothing extra special, but we all still really enjoyed it when we went.

That is if I am talking about the same restaurant...hahaha....

It's at the back of some hotel, over looking the ocean. You can go down some steps and jump into the water before or after you eat if you want, or go swimming in one of the pools there?

I have pictures from there....I will post a link to thoes pictures in this thread when I have them up, and maybe someone can tell me if we are talking about the same place before I say more. hehehe ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Most restaurants and stores in Sosua and Cabarete would gladly exchange dollars for pesos in payment as a customer service. High class joint or low class joint, it is accepted practice. Most of them would take a little .. 'un chin' .. but not 5 or 6 points. If you do, you'll soon be out of customers. I would not try this in other non-tourist places though.

Has this specific thing not come across the board before? About the same restaurant? I seem to remember something but too busy to do a search.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Palmiche's posts have been removed and any that quoted them.

Keep on topic and keep the childish posts out of this thread.
That will be the last word in this thread relating to Palmiche.

Moving on...

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Don't know about the food at waterfront, but I think it's exelent that they are giving that rate. It's just fair that it cost's you when you don't bother to use the countrys official currency.
I realy wish the supermarket's and other businesses starts this practice too.
I'm fed up standing in line at the playero behind some americans with only dollar bills and no idea of what the items they have purchased realy costs.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Tor said:
Don't know about the food at waterfront, but I think it's exelent that they are giving that rate. It's just fair that it cost's you when you don't bother to use the countrys official currency.
I'm fed up standing in line at the playero behind some americans with only dollar bills and no idea of what the items they have purchased realy costs.

The Playero gives one of the best rates in town, usually the same as Vimenca. We frequently use them to exchange... and they are happy for the business. Everyone in Sosua and other tourist areas is an exchange bank... ;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Malibook said:

Thanks for the review.
Yes I would have gone back occasionally. Now I won't. The food is overpriced and only fair.

I vote with my pocketbook like I said and because I was caught short on Pesos doesn't mean I should be ripped off.

Won't go back there for quite a while and their being greedy on the exchange rate will hurt them with my business and the others that were there also. I am NOT a tourist. I live here and I find 22 to one offensive when I got 28.20 both before and this morning.

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Tor said:
I am not a tourist. I live here and so does one other of the four that ate there last night. If you think that is that is a proper way to do business I sure hope you keep your government job and not open any business that has to give some sort of service to their customers.

Escott