Importing an Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Weren't the rules changed a while back to ban the importation of cars aged 10 yrs or more? Pat, search the archives, there have been many, many threads on this topic. ;)

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You're right

Escott said:
No cars older than 5 years old I believe.

For some strange reason they only allow old people --like us. Old cars no-takes away from the beauty of the country.

JOHN

Jan 9, 2004
Shipping Roulette

badpiece33 said:
I am planning on importing a 1994 Jeep Cherokee to the DR, I am just trying to get a round about figure on the cost of shipping and the taxes and duties I will have to pay as well as register and insure the car. The car will be shipped from NYC.
Badpiece

Badpiece33:

I am not sure if a 1994 is still importable, but you can import a vehicle older than 5 years. However you would pay duty as if it were a 2000 model. I do know that 1997's are still being allowed in as a business acquaintance recently shipped a 1997 Toyota.

From New York, expect to pay anywhere from $800-$1,200 for shipping, depending on the shipper and the shipping line. Customs duties are never consistent and best handled through a shipper/broker. The good ones will take care of everything door to door, which includes matricula, plates, insurance, etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
Shipping Roulette, part two

UPDATE: My shipping sources now confirm that passenger vehicles older than 5 years will no longer be accepted for import into the Dominican Republc after April 30, 2005. Unless, of course, you know someone in Aduana or are willling to wait until someone figures out (again) that this policy actually chokes off important sources of revenue for the Republica.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
badpiece33 said:
I am planning on importing a 1994 Jeep Cherokee to the DR, I am just trying to get a round about figure on the cost of shipping and the taxes and duties I will have to pay as well as register and insure the car. The car will be shipped from NYC.
Badpiece

Good luck with this man. Let me know how it turns out as I have also considered sending a vehicule out there.

commie

Apr 6, 2005
is there much tax and duties on importing stuff??? i was thinking if i can get a good price of importing my speed boat.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
playacaribe2 said:
UPDATE: My shipping sources now confirm that passenger vehicles older than 5 years will no longer be accepted for import into the Dominican Republc after April 30, 2005. Unless, of course, you know someone in Aduana or are willling to wait until someone figures out (again) that this policy actually chokes off important sources of revenue for the Republica.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Can a car dealer licensed to do business in the DR import a 1995 or not ? I keep hearing different answers on this.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Jwb said:
Can a car dealer licensed to do business in the DR import a 1995 or not ? I keep hearing different answers on this.
John, whether the ban is on a 10-yr old car or a 5-yr old car, a 1995 model should be affected either way -- i.e., cannot be imported legally.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Thanks alot Keith

Always a pleasure to hear from you buddy.

I've heard so many different versions on this, I wasn't sure what to believe. I am heading down in two weeks, guess I'll make a trip out to Santiago and check out the going price on a used vehicle.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK...Here's THE REAL scoop on this. Importing a car older than five years old has been illegal for a few years now. However they have been pretty lenient so far and letting people bring in cars as old as 8 years old (paying some money under the table - 5-10k pesos per car).
The word on the street is that they are starting to clamp down on this and that as of this month bringing a car older than 5 years is a risky proposition as you may not be able to get it out and just end up losing it.
I'm sure if you're well connected you may still be able to do it, but I wouldn't take the risk at this point. My brother had a few people sending him 4 to 5 cars a month to sell down there, including some that were older than 5 years old. They stopped doing that about a month ago on recommendation from their customs clearance guy.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for the clarification

suarezn said:
OK...Here's THE REAL scoop on this. Importing a car older than five years old has been illegal for a few years now. However they have pretty lenient so far and letting people bring in cars as old as 8 years old (paying some money under the table - 5-10k pesos per car).
The word on the street is that they are starting to clamp down on this and that as of this month bringing a car older than 5 years is a risky proposition as you may not be able to get it out and just end up losing it.
I'm sure if you're well connected you may still be able to do it, but I wouldn't take the risk at this point. My brother had a few people sending him 4 to 5 cars a month to sell down there, including some that were older than 5 years old. They stopped doing that about a month ago on recommendation from their customs clearance guy.

Suarezn:

As I said above, cars were being imported older than 5 years, but my shipper indicated that you paid the duty on a 2000 model (currently the oldest model year you can legally import). However, he never indicated to whom this money was paid or if their was an age limit other than that 1997 was acceptable (at least until April 30, 2005).

I am sending a 2000 model year jeepeta sometime in the next two months and will update the board on its progress. I have guided two cars through customs in the last 5 years and, has been pointed out many times, it is always the same, but different, if you know what I mean.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

k-bull

Jun 28, 2005
playacaribe2 said:
Suarezn:

As I said above, cars were being imported older than 5 years, but my shipper indicated that you paid the duty on a 2000 model (currently the oldest model year you can legally import). However, he never indicated to whom this money was paid or if their was an age limit other than that 1997 was acceptable (at least until April 30, 2005).

I am sending a 2000 model year jeepeta sometime in the next two months and will update the board on its progress. I have guided two cars through customs in the last 5 years and, has been pointed out many times, it is always the same, but different, if you know what I mean.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Any updates on this? Or any Luck?

Jan 9, 2004
k-bull said:
Any updates on this? Or any Luck?

K-bull:

The vehicle is currently at the mechanic and being prepped for shipment. By that I mean new water pump, timing belt, exhaust, plugs, wires etc.

Expected shipping date is probably late July or early August depending upon boat availability.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
leominster said:
WHY! WHY! WHY! Would you want to pay to bring a ten year old car here. We brought ours which was less than a year old when shipped. Had absolutely no problems with ADUANA, except to locate the paper work. No bribes, No Excessive duties, No Nothing. Collected the car and drove home.
Don't listen to the no sayers. If you want to bring your car - Go for it but use a good Agent this end.
Can you give some more details such as:

• Make and model year of the car
  • The year that you shipped the car
  • How long it took to clear customs
  • The taxes you paid
  • How much did the customs broker charge you

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I think I saw it somewhere but I cant find it again. How long do you have to own a car in your original country before you can Import it ? Is there a specified # of years? My new possible plan is to buy a car here (2001,2002) and import it a little later along with some of my household goods. Still weighing the costs as opposed to buying there.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.