question regarding travel from santo domingo to north coast

javan

Apr 12, 2005
I'm heading to the DR in May. I bought a ticket to Santo Domingo but was planning on heading up to the northcoast (Sosua or Cabarete) to spend two weeks. I was there last time but flew in to Puerto Plata. This will be my second visit. I liked the idea of the shorter direct much cheaper flight and checking out the south coast somewhat.
I was wondering if someone could help me out with info on traveling from Santo Domingo up north. I was wondering how long the bus takes, how much it costs and if it's worth it. I hadn't planned on flying from one end of the island to the other but it'd be good just to know how much that is and if it's safe.
I was also wondering if anyone can recommend a cheap decent studio or apartment to rent preferably close to the beach in Sosua or Cabarete.
Thanks. I appreciate any help you guys can give.
Javan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A couple of ideas

1) You can take a Metro bus direct to Puerto Plata (POP). Rents are cheaper there and there is probably more offerings
2) You can take a Caribe Tours bus direct to Sosua
3) You can take a taxi from Sosua to Cabarete.

Costs about RD$200 each way...

FWIW

HB :D:D

Oh yeah, you need to take a taxi into Santo Domingo to get to either of these two bus lines.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Caribe Tour's bus takes approx. 4 1/2 hours to get to Sosua.
The taxi from the airport to the Caribe Tour station, takes 30 minutes.
A taxi direct from the airport could do the whole trip in approx. 3 1/2 hours.

javan

Apr 12, 2005
thanks for answer on travel

thanks for helping out with this.
another thought: to travel along the coast from santo domingo around to cabarete. I was thinking that may be another possibility with possibly taking one night to stop and explore along the way. does caribe tours do a route in that direction. do you know how long that would take in total, and how much it would cost? thanks again... I appreciate the input.

Hillbilly said:
1) You can take a Metro bus direct to Puerto Plata (POP). Rents are cheaper there and there is probably more offerings
2) You can take a Caribe Tours bus direct to Sosua
3) You can take a taxi from Sosua to Cabarete.

Costs about RD$200 each way...

FWIW

HB :D:D

Oh yeah, you need to take a taxi into Santo Domingo to get to either of these two bus lines.

javan

Apr 12, 2005
another travel question

another thought: to travel along the coast from santo domingo around to cabarete. I was thinking that may be another possibility with possibly taking one night to stop and explore along the way. does caribe tours do a route in that direction. do you know how long that would take in total, and how much it would cost? thanks again... I appreciate the input.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
javan said:

If you fly into Las Americas International Airport, I suggest you spend two nights to tour the Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, and La Romana (Bayahibe) area (rent a car for the two days and drop off at the airport). And then two nights for Santo Domingo (Colonial City and nightlife). Then take the Caribe Tours bus into Sosua.

For what to see and do, check out our travel pages at http://www.dr1.com/travel/ and for where to stay, see our Hotel directory pages at http://dr1.com/directories/index.shtml

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hmmmm go along the coast from Santo Domingo to Cabarete... Can't be done my friend. You travel across the island from south to north and then along the coast! Check a map honey.....LOL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh Planner, of course it CAN be done~!

All you have to do is know a bit of Spanish and take local transporte east toLa Romana (stopping along the way such as Dolores has suggested) then North to Higuey and Sabana de la Mar. Then ferry across the bay to Samana. Then the bus from Saman? to Nagua and then local buses aroundt o Cabarete. Might take a few days but what the hay!

HB :D:D all for adventure.

IF you try this bring bug spray like OFF with DEET, a mosquito net, and sunscreen.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I hate it when you are so literal...LOL

Of course it can be done - who in their right mind would want to do that.....

javan

Apr 12, 2005
thanks

thanks for taking the time to guide me on what to do while on the south coast. the website here is very useful and has helped out a lot. I appreciate it.