Rain Forrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Is there a rain forrest region in DR? If not, has there ever been a rain forrest in DR? If it does not exist in DR, is there an area that is close by definition?

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Rain Forrest?

I guess that would be sort of a cross between "Rain man" and "Forrest Gump"? I've met some expats who may qualify! (The point being that the word is "forest", with 1 "r"). To the best of my knowledge there aren't any areas in the DR which meet the criteria to be classified as rain forest, nor in all my travels in the country have I heard any place referred to in that manner or seen anything that resembled the rain forests I have visited in Costa Rica. I haven't been to the southwest, but I understand it is more arrid.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I'm not sure that the DR has any area that would qualify under a common scientific definition of rainforest -- certainly nothing equivalent to the rainforests of Brazil or Costa Rica. However, there are a few areas referred to as "subtropical rainforests," such as part of Los Haitises, and I know some tour outfits in the DR promote this as simply "rainforest," but I think this is misleading advertising.

The DR does have an unusual, interesting and beautiful "cloud forest" in the Loma Quita Espuela scientific reserve near San Francisco de Macoris, considered to be the "mother of all rivers" in the DR. Worth visiting if you're a hiker.

Hope this helps, Alan.

Best Regards,
Keith

P.S. BTW, in the sticky entitled "Some Useful DR-related Environment Links" at the top of this Forum, there are good links to sites that tell you all about the DR's national parks and reserves.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
If there any rainforest in DR? tell me you are just kidding.

AlaninDR said:
Is there a rain forrest region in DR? If not, has there ever been a rain forrest in DR? If it does not exist in DR, is there an area that is close by definition?
There are rain forests in DR...

and those of you that say there arent any must not know exactly what defines a rain forest.

http://www.studiesabroad.com/programs/country/dominican_republic/
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761563569/Dominican_Republic.html

Last edited:

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Humble apologies to sweetdbt for my spelling error. For years I thought of myself as perfect since my flaws were pointed out and I corrected them.....another error on my part. Sigh, my life seems without meaning now. Oh well.

My question about rainforests was oriented to the ecological definition which is "multi-storied closed, broad leaved forest vegetation with a continuous tree canopy of variable height and with characteristic diversity of species and life forms".

I have been in that type of rainforest. From personal experience, Los Haitises falls a bit short.

Thanks Keith for info on the "cloud forest" in the Loma Quita Espuela scientific reserve near San Francisco de Macoris. I was not aware of it.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Just Curious

How does a simple, logical, interesting post turn into a test of your spelling ability within one reply and by the 3rd or 4th a pi*&^%g match?

Does it only happen on DR1?
Scheese, need to get out of the crossfire!

JOHN

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
johne said:
How does a simple, logical, interesting post turn into a test of your spelling ability within one reply and by the 3rd or 4th a pi*&^%g match?

Does it only happen on DR1?
Scheese, need to get out of the crossfire!

JOHN
You're right, John. Sweetdbt -- the spelling remark aside -- and I tried to answer in a reasonable fashion. My hope was that my original response (post #3) would be followed by some from board participants who know more on the subject (we have some). But instead our self-proclaimed ex-sanky came in and declared we all did not know what we were talking about. Yet as became clear from his posts, he didn't know what he was talking about, but refused to admit it....

So, as you said, a potentially good thread went south.

My apologies to all, especially Alan. Alan, if you're still interested, I'll dig up some info and PM or e-mail it to you, or maybe start a new thread with the info. But for now, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.