Orange Mobile

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Does anyone know if a phone which is locked to the Orange network here in England will work in DR with a dominican Orange network chip??

Or will I need to get the phone unlocked first?

Given that the Orange network exists in England and DR I was kind of hoping there would be no issues. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks
Daydream.

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004
My Experience

Daydream,

My phone from Orange in Switzerland (locked) worked just fine with an Orange card from the DR. Just slipped it in and turned it on with no problems at all.

-x

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
UK Orange

Locked - Barred or whatever, your UK phone will work here. Barring just goes away! Unlocking, if required, will cost you around RD$700.
Slip in a DR Orange chip and away you go - sort of? Orange does not have a very good signal in many places here but some makes of cell phones do work better than others.
You can text out to anywhere in the world but do not expect any text replies - they don't seem to work. Text works fine locally, both in and out. We've asked here and in the UK ... WHY? The usual "Don't know, it should work" is the reply!!!???
Your DR Sim card will give you emergency use only in USA, UK and other spots around the globe.
This is in my personal experience and someone else might know better? I've gone max plan and roaming so that I can use my cell when overseas but have yet to test it out!

laura h

Oct 1, 2003
you will need it unlocked

hi

if your phone is locked to orange in the uk you will need it unlocked before you go ( itll cost about 5 pounds from your local market! and won cause you any trouble when you return) my phone is T mobile and, though i could use it abroad with the T mobile chip -at huge rates, it would not take any other network chip - here or DR. so it needed to be unlocked first.

getting it unlocked takes minutes and is cheap. you may as well do it just to be on the safe side. it opens up your options at home too.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
HI

Thank you all for your replies........I have a Samsung T100 locked to Orange in UK which I was hoping to take over with me and get a DR chip to make cheaper calls......

My only problem is that I am leaving tomorrow and won't have time to get it unlocked before I go......that's why I was hoping that, because Orange exists in DR, that if I bought an Orange chip over there that the phone would work ok. Unfortunately with this model you need a data cable to get it unlocked so you can't just use an unlocking code off the internet!

The phone is Triband.....and from the responses below it looks like it should be ok (apart from the bad reception!!)

One last question - can anyone tell me where I can purchase an Orange chip in Puerto Plata and roughly how much they are?

Thanks again for all your help.
Daydream.

laura h

Oct 1, 2003
my chip cost about 300 pasos, if you have trouble using your phone, you can pick up a basic seimens mobile with chip for about 2000 pasos.

there is an orange shop not far from the tropical supermarcado - most peaple would be able to direct you there. its a shop on its own. i have terrible dirrectional sense so unless im there i could direct ! sorry !