Ocean World and general HIGH INFLATED PRICING

videosilva

Vegetables are my best friends
Mar 31, 2005
I just got back from the DR on Monday and must say I was DISGUSTED with the prices there, ocean world being no exception.

How can you people charge those ridiculous HIGH prices U.S. Dollars, especially when the average income is $8.00 a day ( If I wanted to spend U.S. I would have gone to Florida and been much better off ).

I stayed at the Hacienda Tropical and took a walk up the road to take a look at what was SO SPECIAL about Ocean World to constitute the high prices only to be greeted by a guard telling me I NEEDED AN IVITATION to continue walking that road.

WHAT A JOKE Ocean World and the DR turned out to be.

The country was beautiful climate wise and the colors ocean were amazing. The people were not so amazing, I was GAUGED,RIPPED,ROBEED in any direction I turned.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I am sorry to hear you feel this way. First: Ocean World, it may be a language barrier. The guard should have let you in to go to the reception area or the gift shop had you wanted to. I do have to agree with you, I personally believe ocean world is overpriced, but you didn't even get in.

As for other pricing. You need to understand that everything imported into this country is done so with US dollars. When dealing with tourists and tourist areas it is almost always priced in US to make it easier for tourists. Vendors of anything will almost always convert to pesos for you! Sometimes that will not be in your favour.

Your message was quite vague in terms of your other experiences. This country really is not a JOKE. Please be more specific and maybe we can address your concerns. I work in tourism and I understand how some of the pricing is done. In many cases the prices are dictated by outside companies and much of the money doesn't even stay in this country. It might not be appropriate to blame this country, you might have to look elsewhere for the blame.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Gotta agree with PLANNER here. If you are judging the entire country based on the experience at an AI and at Ocean World, you're wrong. There are endless adventures to be had there. For the most part, people are frindly and hardworking. Look a little harder next time.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Well I guess in the absence of knowledge

shooting your mouth off is just about as good.

I will not comment about your general DR type comments as they are too non-specific to address but to malign Ocean World in such a general fashion is simply a cheap shot.

Prices while quoted in $US (so tourists know what the cost is) are actually charged on your credit card in $RD pesos based on a reasonable exchange which is fixed for the day early in the morning.

Are the prices high? I initially was like you and I thought they were high. Then I did an internet search of similar facilities all over the Caribbean, Mexico and Florida and OW actually falls somewhere in the middle. They are not the cheapest, nor the most expensive and most facilities all over the Caribbean quoted rates in $US. It would appear that either ALL such facilities are rip-offs or maybe that's just what it costs to run a decent facility like this. Also the owners have invested some $35Million US in this facility. Do you think it's just possible they deserve a return on their investment?

Finally it is my understanding that by presenting their cedula, Dominicans (and even resident ex-pats I would guess, can receive reduced pricing which is not available to tourists). Oops there is that pesky information again getting in the way of your rant.

FYI, while I have been there and enjoyed myself immensely, I have no connection with OW other than having met the General Manager. I just think it is easy to take cheap shots as I doubt they will respond to you.

If, by chance I have mis-stated anything I would appreciate it if anyone who knows would correct me as I certainly am only stating what I believe the truth to be.

Gregg

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Before you judge how overpriced Ocean World is maybe you need to know how big of an investment went into the place. The ocean was so poluted they had to spend more than you probably make in a lifetime to filter it.

Say it is expensive if you want and I will agree with you but DO NOT say it is overpriced when you have no idea what went into the place which was a HUGE INVESTMENT! I was watching the place being built for years and if you think the place is NO BIG DEAL I guess that is because you didn't get in to see the BIG DEAL THAT IT IS.

Escott

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
The OP is on a rant as I think they woke up on the wrong side of the bed.If you read any and all of they're posts today they are just negative about everything from Mamajuana ingredients to the DR in general.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I don't know if I had posted about it, but I was in Ocean world a month back and I, for one, was VERY impressed by everything, from the staff to the faccilities. And even for a cheapskate like me the admission price seemed cheap. Of course, the OP might have had a different experience. Actually I am sure he did, but it probably had nothing to do with Ocean World.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Escott said:
Before you judge how overpriced Ocean World is maybe you need to know how big of an investment went into the place.

Say it is expensive if you want and I will agree with you but DO NOT say it is overpriced when you have no idea what went into the place which was a HUGE INVESTMENT!
Escott
Expensive and overpriced are subjective terms relative to each individual.

The price is a critical consideration for many and the perceived value is paramount to most.

Whether or not Ocean World has a viable business and fantastic return on investment was not the point of the OP.
Customers care about what they are getting for their money.
Investors care about the ROI and profits/losses.

So who knows the price?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Malibook said:
Expensive and overpriced are subjective terms relative to each individual.

The price is a critical consideration for many and the perceived value is paramount to most.

Whether or not Ocean World has a viable business and fantastic return on investment was not the point of the OP.
Customers care about what they are getting for their money.
Investors care about the ROI and profits/losses.

So who knows the price?
Somebody will be here soon to correct me if I misremember, but we paid US$35.00 per adult (or was it US$50.00?), the tot and the baby were free. It also included a all-you-can-eat lunch buffet. That was good too.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think you will find it's US$35. I was at Ocean World last week, a world class attraction in my opinion and well worth the price.

As for videosilva, "WHAT A JOKE".

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Our Puerto Rican friends were there over Easter at Ocean World. They had a wonderful time. They are very savvy, observant people. They didn't even mention the price so it couldn't have struck them as exorbitant, because when they did find prices over the top.......they told us!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
videosilva said:
WHAT A JOKE Ocean World and the DR turned out to be.

The country was beautiful climate wise and the colors ocean were amazing. The people were not so amazing, I was GAUGED,RIPPED,ROBEED in any direction I turned.

Perhaps you should have consulted the members of this board before you entered the DR Joke... Does nothing for anyone to complain afterwards. How prepared were you for visiting a different country? And when last did you check the prices for similar excursions in your own country?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I agree with you and was thinking about the same thing about this new guy who evidently came to a country foreign to him not knowing what to expect nor how to act and react. Now he is crying in his soup I guess because he probably thought he was in Florida.

Had he come here before he went to the DR he could have done his homework and had a nice vacation instead of wandering around like a goat in the forrest and gotten eaten:)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
For everybody's information, admission to Ocean World is US$55 (there is currently a special of US$35 for residents with cedula) and includes the following:

1) Bus transfers from nearby hotels (small surcharge for Sosua/Cabarete/Luperon/Rio San Juan)

2) Lunch Buffet (drinks extra)

3) Snorkelling in the Tropical Reef Pool (includes equipment)

4) Sea Lion/Shark shows

5) Rainforest/Tiger Pool/Bird Aviaries

6) Beach area with lounge chairs

7) Observation of dolphin encounter/swim programs

Available for upgrade/purchase:

Sea Lion Encounter $45 inside park or $70 including admission*
Dolphin Encounter $75 inside park or $100 including admission*
Dolphin Swim $120 inside park or $145 including admission*
Shark Encounter $35 only available inside park

*Admission is basically $25 if pre-purchased together with one of the premium programs above

Ocean World normally has a guest service representative at the gate for people who walk up, the security guards are not trained to answer guests inquiries.

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
IMHO the package deals which include "encounters" for $70 to $75 are a value. You pay through the nose for that stuff elsewhere. On the other hand, the basic admission of $55 seems a bit steep, although not so bad if you are in a non-AI hotel and don't have a car, so you would fully benefit from the lunch buffet and hotel transfers. For the cedula-holders at $35, a real bargain.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Conchman, thank you for the very clear and informative posting of the rates and activities.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Prices Fair, still not for me

I think considering the amount of work required prior to construction and the construction itself, it is well priced. I would prefer to see prices listed in pesos though. US price tags don't do much for Canadian or English travellers and I'm sure there are misinterpretations of the exchange between the different currencies.

That said, I was very disturbed to see how OW looks from Costambar. As far as I am concerned, the huge sign on the ocean side is a blight on the landscape. I am also not supportive of a tourist attraction that confines beautiful creatures meant to be free. It is also my understanding that humans carry different fungi that many of these creatures cannot tolerate, and that touching them can result in them becoming quite sick. No matter how fabulous I hear it is, I will never darken their doorstep. I love the Florida law that forbids touching, chasing or harassing dolphins in any way.

And as for DR being a joke, I hope that that was just a poor choice of words.

videosilva

Vegetables are my best friends
Mar 31, 2005
I'm of Portuguse background and the language was NOT a barrier. The guard specifically said we needed an invitation to continue to walk in that direction of the road.

The import thing is a STUPID statement ! We import to Canada from Japan,China etc. The U.S Dolllare this is a SHAM plain and simple. Wow, the DR must be the ONLY place in the world with tourims ( imagine that). In Canada we pay canadain in U.S. Americain in Portugal Porutuse etc. etc. etc. Not in the DR RIP OFF CAPITAL OF THE WORLD !

I understand some thing imported will be priced higher that is COMMEN KNOWLEDGE !

Here is an example. A plastic 2inch parrot thing, here I belive its either one for a dollar or two for a dollar. In DR I WAS FRIGGEN ASKED $25.00 US WHAT A JOKEEEEEEEE !

DO you belive its just me ? Ask the other 20 or so couples I spent 9 days with of their opinion. The running joke was " HOW MUCH YOU PAY AMERICAN" ! That inedeed my friend was FACT !