The Dominicans in NYC??

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I've been around Dominicans for a many years now, mostly in NYC. I've noticed that most of the Dominicans in NYC are from either Santiago, La Vega, or the surrounding areas. If true, why is that??
The only non-mixed dominicans (morenos) I rarely see is the baseball players on TV and the very, very few sprinkled here and there. Trust me I've hung out in nearly all the domincan neighborhoods in NYC and a few in NJ.

Mi Dos Centavos ;)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
The only non-mixed dominicans (morenos) I rarely see is the baseball players on TV and the very, very few sprinkled here and there. Trust me I've hung out in nearly all the domincan neighborhoods in NYC and a few in NJ.

can you expand on what you mean by that statement, I'm totally confused.

I'm from San Cristobal - there's a big population from Sancri here in NJ...

Also, dont forget Dominicans will say that they are from a city instead of their campo.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Most are from ghettos of santiago, la vega etc. they are all dom-york chopos. These New York yankees baseball cap wearing, diamonds on each ear chopos are laughing stock of all decent dominicans in santiago. Hahahahaha
AZB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Talldrink said:
can you expand on what you mean by that statement, I'm totally confused.

I'm from San Cristobal - there's a big population from Sancri here in NJ...

Also, dont forget Dominicans will say that they are from a city instead of their campo.
I mean I rarely see any dark-skinned dominicans in the neighborhoods, dominican clubs and restaurants in NYC i.e. Mirage, Jubilee (Queens & Manhattan), Mar de Plata, Puerto Plata, Borinquen, etc... The only southern town I hear from them is the Capital. Ohh, one guy admitted he was from Boca Chica :cool:

I was just curious, if most of the illegal aliens entering the US are supposedly poor, and generally speaking, the darker-skinned dominicans (morenos) are usually the poorest out of the bunch from the southern part of the island. I should be seeing more of the morenos here in the city. Unless, their mixed in with the African Americans. :nervous:

DRsScarface

Feb 26, 2004
To AZB

You can't put everyone in a bunch. Not all Dominicans in the U.S. or in NY are chopos. I doubt you have met all Dominicans in NY and the rest of the U.S. Just because someone immigrated doesn't mean their a chopo...if so, wouldn't that make you and your parents chopos for migrating from the Middle East to the U.S?

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
I cant speak for new york , but i can speak for new jersey .It sometimes depends on where exactly in NJ they are from .For instance , in places like Perth Amboy ,Newark ,and Trenton ,Camden ,thier Dominican populations tend to be lighter becuase most of them come from special areas in dr .(Newark,San Jose de Las Matas-Perth Amboy La Vega and Santiago-Trenton and camden also have many Cibaenos )they are all from one place ,but when it comes to places with very large Dominican populations like Paterson,Passiac, Jersey City,Union City , West New York ,North Bergen,Guttenburg,some parts of bergan county ) there is alot of diversity (as in regions in DR people are from) ,but i will note that in the hudson county area there is a large number of Black surenos (as in they are physically black and happen to be from the southern part of the island) many also move to predominantly black neighborhoods like east orange , irvington, black parts of Newark ,Hackensack,Teaneck,Hoboken(projects) . Most are Capitalenos ,but i have also met alot of Sancri's ,Boca chicas,one san pedro,a few Banilejos(most are light skinned or white) ,other than that not too many people form anywhere else .Then you have many Haitians claiming to be part Dominican ,just to fit in with the Hispanic crowd(I've seen it sooo many times ) ,alot blacks do the same as well .so, sometimes the person can be lying.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
So...

you want to know where Black Dominicans are?
Just go to Washington Heights, unless you're color blind (no offense) most Dominicans in Washington Heights are black with nappy hair aka Manny Ramirez looking but you might be looking for Sammy Sosa black dominicans again check Washington Heights.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ricardo900 said:
I've been around Dominicans for a many years now, mostly in NYC. I've noticed that most of the Dominicans in NYC are from either Santiago, La Vega, or the surrounding areas. If true, why is that??

Mi Dos Centavos ;)
The majority of Dominicans (around 60%) are Cibae?os. Expect most migrants to be from the Cibao and in general, Cibao Dominicans tend to be white, but most likely light skin mix and in many cases, Taino influences are so pronounce in some of their physical appearance that denying Taino genes is almost impossible.

The other place in this country where Dominicans congregate in huge numbers is right here (La Capital), where around 30% of the Dominicans live. Here the mixture is great (from blondes to pure Congolese decendants from Villa Mella (I know VM is not part of SDQ, but it is virtually a suburb of the Capital that it might as well be)).

The rest of the country is, well, not that populated. Only 10% of Dominicans live outside of Cibao and Capital areas.

Only 10% or around 800,000 people. The Capital has around 3 million and the Cibao has around 4.8 million with Santiago hoovering around the 1 million mark (according to certain estimates).

The East is mostly populated along the Costa Caribe and Higuey is the largest interior town in the region with a few hundred thousand peoples.

And the South, well, most of the biggest cities in the South tend dwarf in comparison to populations in urban centers in the Cibao region or even in the East in certain cases.

Knowing all of this, it makes sense that most Dominican emigrants will be from the Cibao and Capital and not from anywhere else.

In addition to all of this we can't deny the extremely heavy Haitian presence in this country. Estimates range from 500,000 to 1 million, but these are conservative estimates!

There could be up to 3 million Haitians and Dominico-Haitians in the Dominican side and obviously, they will be seen in the streets nationwide.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
reply to post #3

AZB said:
Most are from ghettos of santiago, la vega etc. they are all dom-york chopos. These New York yankees baseball cap wearing, diamonds on each ear chopos are laughing stock of all decent dominicans in santiago. Hahahahaha
AZB

Excuse me AZB, but you are way off, you are painting every Dominican living in NYC with the same brush. You think every Dominican in NYC is a pop cultured moron or adolescent, we are not all like that.
It would be the same if I said all pakastanis are terriorists or every foreniger living in DR is a criminal/sex pervert or that chiropractors aren't real doctors.

No we are not all alike, not every Dominican is dark skined or has nappy hair, etc.

Peace, Capo

PS You'll see kids from the best suburbs dressing & speaking ghetto, it's "cool".

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
AZB said:
AZB

Out of curiosity, tell me something........... where does your intense aversion to poor dominicans and dominican americans come from? Have they abused, harmed or insulted you in any way, shape or form? Do they make your life difficult? On numerous occasion I've noticed you lashing out at them and I'd like to know why.

Has it ever occured to you that (deep down inside) you may actually envy"chopos"? Are all pakistani men: wife-beating terrorists, with no respect for women's rights or human rights? Are poor dominicans any worse than poor paks?

By the way...... the baseball cap, diamond studded earings look is all but the universal look of youth and young adults these days. You'll find it in stockholm, london and tokyo. You'll find it in russia, croatia and dublin etc..

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
That makes sense

Nal0whs said:
The majority of Dominicans (around 60%) are Cibae?os. Expect most migrants to be from the Cibao and in general, Cibao Dominicans tend to be white, but most likely light skin mix and in many cases, Taino influences are so pronounce in some of their physical appearance that denying Taino genes is almost impossible.

The other place in this country where Dominicans congregate in huge numbers is right here (La Capital), where around 30% of the Dominicans live. Here the mixture is great (from blondes to pure Congolese decendants from Villa Mella (I know VM is not part of SDQ, but it is virtually a suburb of the Capital that it might as well be)).

The rest of the country is, well, not that populated. Only 10% of Dominicans live outside of Cibao and Capital areas.

Only 10% or around 800,000 people. The Capital has around 3 million and the Cibao has around 4.8 million with Santiago hoovering around the 1 million mark (according to certain estimates).

The East is mostly populated along the Costa Caribe and Higuey is the largest interior town in the region with a few hundred thousand peoples.

And the South, well, most of the biggest cities in the South tend dwarf in comparison to populations in urban centers in the Cibao region or even in the East in certain cases.

Knowing all of this, it makes sense that most Dominican emigrants will be from the Cibao and Capital and not from anywhere else.

In addition to all of this we can't deny the extremely heavy Haitian presence in this country. Estimates range from 500,000 to 1 million, but these are conservative estimates!

There could be up to 3 million Haitians and Dominico-Haitians in the Dominican side and obviously, they will be seen in the streets nationwide.
I was just curious, thanks for the info.

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
Nal0whs said:

Taino genes in DR :tired: prove that to me where are your facts, last time I checked the majority population in DR was not Taino it is Mullato.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/dr.html

angela-in-nj

May 1, 2005
capodominicano said:
you want to know where Black Dominicans are?
Just go to Washington Heights, unless you're color blind (no offense) most Dominicans in Washington Heights are black with nappy hair aka Manny Ramirez looking but you might be looking for Sammy Sosa black dominicans again check Washington Heights.

Yeah you're right black dominicans are everywhere, especially Washington Heights and especially in those clubs he mentioned. But wow have we spread all over the US, is incredible to me, we keep growing and growing and growing.....

love
Angela

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
De Havana, chico.....

Pib said:
AZB, cut it off.

Any more replies off topic will be deleted, or worse, I will hijack this thread to Havana, where all Cubans in Miami come from. ;)

Wait till Tony C reads this one.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is a very large contingent of Dominicans from Jarabacoa and Constanza in New York and they are of every colour and racial mix under the sun. My wife, has cousins in New York(very dark and very white(TEACHERS AND TRUCK DRIVERS) Cousins in North Carolina(Carpenter, MEDIUM BROWN), and other cousins in Houston(Oil Engineer, Lawyer, Teacher, all very white, and all very Dominican)

Teddy_Ruxpin

May 27, 2005
'I was just curious, if most of the illegal aliens entering the US are supposedly poor, and generally speaking, the darker-skinned dominicans (morenos) are usually the poorest out of the bunch from the southern part of the island. I should be seeing more of the morenos here in the city. Unless, their mixed in with the African Americans. :nervous:'

Well you've pretty much hit it on the nail with the little bit you just said. Afro-Latinos tend to make less than lighter skinned or white Latinos. Cuba is a perfect example. Most of the Cubans that you see in the U.S. are white, direct descendants of Spanish slave masters. Like Pitbull or Andy Garcia. And just like slavery in the U.S. put Afro-Americans behind, slavery in Latin America has put Afro-Latinos behind. Most of them don't have the money to relocate. Families like Pitbull's have most likely came to the U.S., made money, sent it back to Cuba and brought more of their white relatives to the U.S. And that my friend is how the rich get richer and the poor stay poorer. Or in other words, how the white stay richer and the black stay poorer. Who's more likely to relocate to a different country and live there? A white American or a black American? You should read 'No Longer Invisible:Afro-Latin Americans Today', great book. Very informative, it explains the whole history of Afro-Latinos and their current struggles.

YaniKK

Jun 5, 2005
What!!

Ricardo900 said:
I mean I rarely see any dark-skinned dominicans in the neighborhoods, dominican clubs and restaurants in NYC i.e. Mirage, Jubilee (Queens & Manhattan), Mar de Plata, Puerto Plata, Borinquen, etc... The only southern town I hear from them is the Capital. Ohh, one guy admitted he was from Boca Chica :cool:

I was just curious, if most of the illegal aliens entering the US are supposedly poor, and generally speaking, the darker-skinned dominicans (morenos) are usually the poorest out of the bunch from the southern part of the island. I should be seeing more of the morenos here in the city. Unless, their mixed in with the African Americans. :nervous:

What kind of crazy stuff are you talking about. I didn't know that all light skinned Dominicans are rich and all the dark skinned ones are poor but if that's an actual fact than I better start looking for a light skinned Dominican sugar mama.
Why are you so eager to see "Morenos" in the city anyways? Just because you see that most baseball players are dark doesn't mean that all Dominicans are like that.
If you didn't know by now that Dominicans come in all shapes, color and sizes than you need to turn the TV off and get out there and see for yourself.

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Where I live (Long Island) you see more of the Cibaenos. And as we know most of them are fair skin. There are'nt too many capitalenos, although they are growing. The majority come from La Vega, Santiago (of course), Jarabacoa, and San Jose de las Matas.