What's up with haitians pretending to be dominicans in the u.s.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Folks,
This isn't intended to be an anti-haitian tpoic or anything. A respondant to the topic on dominicans in nyc recently mentioned something that I find rather interesting. I live in the washington d.c. area, which has thousands of haitian nationals. There's definately more haitians here than dominicans.

Going way back to my high school days I recall that many haitians that I met or knew claimed to be dominicans. At the time, I knew nada about the DR, so I belived them. Now-a-days even many adult haitians that I've met pretended to be something that they were'nt. Some try to drop their accents and claim to be americans. I've met others that told me that they're from france. Or from some other island in the carribean, such as jamaica. The dead-give away is their french surnames! At first I thought that they might opt to do this because haiti is so poverty stricken. Then, I thought to myself, wait a minute, haiti isn't the only poor country in world. For example, we've many salvadoreans in the d.c. area and they're also from a poor country, yet I haven't met any salvadoreans who pretended to be another nationality.

Any thgought on this?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
carl ericson70 said:
Folks,
This isn't intended to be an anti-haitian tpoic or anything. A respondant to the topic on dominicans in nyc recently mentioned something that I find rather interesting. I live in the washington d.c. area, which has thousands of haitian nationals. There's definately more haitians here than dominicans.

Going way back to my high school days I recall that many haitians that I met or knew claimed to be dominicans. At the time, I knew nada about the DR, so I belived them. Now-a-days even many adult haitians that I've met pretended to be something that they were'nt. Some try to drop their accents and claim to be americans. I've met others that told me that they're from france. Or from some other island in the carribean, such as jamaica. The dead-give away is their french surnames! At first I thought that they might opt to do this because haiti is so poverty stricken. Then, I thought to myself, wait a minute, haiti isn't the only poor country in world. For example, we've many salvadoreans in the d.c. area and they're also from a poor country, yet I haven't met any salvadoreans who pretended to be another nationality.

Any thgought on this?
It is sad to say but I have also met some dominicans pretending to be puerto ricans, salvadoreans pretending to be mexicans, comlombians pretending to be venezuelans, Bolivians and chileans pretending to be argentineans and chileans pretending to be argentineans and argentineas pretending to be spaniards.

Imo, I think that the people that do this are usually people with a low self esteem, a poor mind, and ashamed with a harbinating feeling of inferiority. These people think that they can feel superior in the eyes of others by claiming other nationalities and inferior by revealing where their nationalities.

These people to me are the people that are not proud of their countries and are ashame of what they are.

I have been asked by egyptians in arabic what part of egypt i am from as well as being thought to be Cuban, Puerto Rican, Brazilian, and middle eastern, as well as mexican by some retarded "coutry redneck americans".
But I never deny my country for the day I would, it would be betrayal on my part.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
carl ericson70 said:
Folks,

Any thgought on this?
It is sad to say but I have also met some dominicans pretending to be puerto ricans, salvadoreans pretending to be mexicans, comlombians pretending to be venezuelans, Bolivians and chileans pretending to be argentineans and chileans pretending to be argentineans and argentineas pretending to be spaniards.

Imo, I think that the people that do this are usually people with a low self esteem, a poor mind, and ashamed with a harbinating feeling of inferiority. These people think that they can feel superior in the eyes of others by claiming other nationalities and inferior by revealing where their nationalities.

These people to me are the people that are not proud of their countries and are ashame of what they are.

I have been asked by egyptians in arabic what part of egypt i am from as well as being thought to be Cuban, Puerto Rican, Brazilian, and middle eastern, as well as mexican by some retarded "coutry redneck americans".
But I never deny my country, for the day I would, it would be betrayal on my part.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
Ignorance is not a myth ?!

Carl, Mr. Dr. is absolutely right!
Besides, just because a black man as a French surname does not make them Haitian??? There's a lot of French Antilles and quite a few African countries where colonized by the French...
Also, Haiti as quite a diversified population. Haitians can't always tell each other a part, so what makes you so sure you can?
Lets not forget that Haiti's heritage is very rich, there forefather where taking captive from some of the greatest African Nations, particularly the famous warriors "The Zoolos". Maybe that could explain how Haiti was the first black nation to become independent. How else could you explain that an army of uneducated, under feed, unarmed slaves defeated the International French Army, witch was considered to be the USA of those time?
Haitians in general are very proud of whom they are!

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
What's up with Haitians...

carl ericson70 said:
What difference does it make? Hollywood does it 24/7; the only difference is, they get paid for it. Whatever the Haitians reasons, God sees NO difference; His Blood was shed for ALL humanity.

Peace, Yvette

Last edited:

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Pib said:
This thread is one inch short of being closed.

And you would be correct in doing so!

It's obvious that this thread was intended to provoke another long and dirty brawl between Dominicans and Haitians, some people need to get a life.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mr_DR said:
And what about all those darn Canadian pretending to be Americans......

or is that the other way around? Never mind.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
rellosk said:
And what about all those darn Canadian pretending to be Americans......

or is that the other way around? Never mind.
You got it Right the first time :laugh: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.