Joseph's Grill & Grape Review

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Located inside Sosua by the Sea at the ocean.

Well hell here we go. He probably won't like this one either but...

The atmosphere is very similar to the Waterfront and Pier Georgios Restaurants. I would put all three in the same catagory. Romantic spot on the Ocean overlooking the Bay and Airport.

Service was on par with the other two. Nice attentive waiters who gave very nice service. I feel that all three restaurants are equa for service but these folks and even the chefs were friendlier.

Pricing was similar to the others. Higher end of the price spectrum for the area but not out of this world. Cost about 100 US for dinner for 2 with a couple of glasses of wine but NOT a bottle. Price included everything complete with Apps, Desert and coffee.

Now the meal. Had what seemed like blackened shrimp and conch/calamari salads for apps. Both were excellent. I prefered the conch/calamari salad which was served in half a coconut.

Dinner was a NY Strip Steak and Mahi Mahi. Steak was ordered Medium Rare and came out Rare. Either they have to get their acts together or you have to order one up on the heat to get what you want. Meat was tender and tasty. Seasoning was good. Mahi Mahi was very nice in a interesting cream sauce that had Tarragon and Pernod I believe in it. I couldn't read the menu very well because it was printed very light and there was no daylight. I even had my glasses.

Desert was a Chocalate fondue and a whipped something or other with Ameretto and ???. The whipped something or other was very tasty and good.
The fondue was well presented but the bananas were NOT ripe enough and hard.

Over all I would say it is better food than the Waterfront and better food than Pier Georgio when the owner isn't there but not quite as good when the owner IS there to watch over things.

Next time I have folks from out of town I will take them here for dinner. The place is a keeper.

Joe, get seat cushions for the chairs. My arse hurts.

One other thing is that this place is priced out in Dollars and gives you the best shake when you PAY in Dollars. Slightly more when you pay in Pesos. Glad I had both on me:) The cambio is way closer than 22 to 1 at Waterfront so I can't really complain when it was only .75 peso different as opposed to 6.25 different at the Waterfront. Now if you were priced in Pesos and you gave a 29 to 1 cambio you would have been my hero:) Drop it to 28 and I would have paid in Pesos.

Nice to have this option in town.

Escott

Last edited:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
good job

Escott.
You need to be careful a very nice, mild, tolerant side of you is showing. Sounds like a nice dining place and we will be sure to visit it next time in town. As you could tell from my post on the waterfront we won't be dining there again.

Bob K

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Bob K said:
Escott.
You need to be careful a very nice, mild, tolerant side of you is showing. Sounds like a nice dining place and we will be sure to visit it next time in town. As you could tell from my post on the waterfront we won't be dining there again.

Bob K
I am a nice, mild and tolerant guy. I am NOT a big complainer. On the other thread I thought that 22 to 1 was OUTRAGOUS and had to post about it. This is what DR1 is supposed to be all about, helping others get the most out of their lives/vacations. I see things that I don't like every day just like everyone else but in that case I needed to tell others.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Thanks for the review. Almost had a heart attack when you said that I wasn't going to like it ;)

Sorry we got your steak wrong -- really no reason for a steak to come out over or under cooked. Did they ask you if everything was all right? We make it a point to pop by the table 2-3 minutes after bringing the food to ask if everything is ok and if you need something else (and to make sure the steak is cooked properly, of course).

If there's anything else you think we could have done better, please do me a favour and pm or email me at jnATsosuabytheseaDOTcom -- it's a work in progress and every suggestion helps.

Aside from that, it sounds like you enjoyed your meal, which is great to hear. I would have liked to have been there to say hello, like I am every weekend, but was away at a bachelor party all weekend. Ouch...

Thanks for coming by and trying us out!

Best,

Joe

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Joe, I liked your restaurant and you have earned a customer. When I said that you may not like it was because you seemed to expect me to tell you and not others about my complaints in another thread. I think my two reviews were honest and true. I have nothing against anyone and have always been an advocate of business.

Service was Excellent
Food was Very Good
Ambiance was Excellent

The few petty complaints I had such as Menu not contrasted enough to read and what ever else were meant to be constructive.

This place is a KEEPER and recommend others go in to give it a try!