Dominican Wine

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
In an earlier post I inquired about DR wines and wineries. I wasn't able to gather much info other than they do exist. Wondering if anyone knows how many wineries there are, variety of wines produced, who owns these facilities(government?), or any other useful info. I could not find anything on the net or through DR contacts. This is a possible buisiness oppertunity for me so any help with this would be very helpful.

Cheers!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There are a few sellers of wine (Dominican ) if you check the Yellow pages (www.paginasamarillas.com.do ), but even they sell more Spanish than Dominicans.
As Dominican wine is not a huge product, maybe you could try and contact the representative in your homecountry for example for Brugal, Barcelo etc and maybe that person having those contracts can lead you further or have any ideas/contacts.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Actually, I know of no one who drinks Domincian wine...
and I would never ever consider it...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
the next big thing

Grapes are cultivated in the Neyba area in the south west, and ever since my first visit here I've been told that wine experts from (insert leading wine producing country here) are advising Dominican winemakers with a view to producing a world-class wine. I think there have been reports in DR1 news in the last year or two as well.

I'm not holding my breath.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:
Grapes are cultivated in the Neyba area in the south west, and ever since my first visit here I've been told that wine experts from (insert leading wine producing country here) are advising Dominican winemakers with a view to producing a world-class wine. I think there have been reports in DR1 news in the last year or two as well.
From the archives:
The wine of Neiba Red, rose and white wines from the Neiba region could be commercially available by next year. The first wine production produced by the Plaza Cacique experimental station in Neiba turned out 2,000 bottles. Inocencio Cuevas Herasme, who is in charge of the station, told El Caribe newspaper that the first round of commercial production will be available early next year after the January harvest. He said that an advantage of the Neiba production is that while it normally takes a plant three years to develop, grapes in Neiba can be harvested after one year, a fact that has surprised the Italian technicians who are serving as advisors to the project. Grape harvesters in the southwestern area of Neiba produce 40,000 to 45,000 quintals (about 46 kilograms or 101 pounds per quintal) of grapes yearly in 3,000 tareas (one tarea is equal to 629m2). Local brands will include Ney Rose, a blend of the Aramon vine that originally came from Spain and a French Aramon vine grape. Ney Blanco c omes from French Colombard blended with Fiano and Vermentino. Ribera de Panzo, a red wine, is produced from Tempranillo and Cabernet varieties.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Dominican wine is some of the worst I've ever had. Could it be that grapes in the DR are very different than many other parts of the world and therefore do not produce good wine? Either way, I would rather spend a little more for an import when in the DR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Name all the other countries that have average daily temperatures in the 80's and 90's 12 months of the year tha produce good wine. The list:

Think Chile, Northern California, France, the mesas in Argentina, S. Africa, they have seasons. Not the DR.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You are right! DR is not a wine country, and it is not very deep into the culture either.. There are good wines available in the stores, to decent prices... But in the end... Brugal/Barcelo/Predisente are the rulers here.. ;)

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Aperitif wine

The red wine from the Neyba region which I tasted last year, was more like a sweet aperitif wine, just like the Malaga wines from the South of Spain (probably an area with a similar climate). Categorized like this, the wine tasted quite good and can have market potential.
It has however nothing to do with a wine you drink with your dinner.
Bartolomeo

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Point taken BUT......

ricktoronto said:
Name all the other countries that have average daily temperatures in the 80's and 90's 12 months of the year tha produce good wine. The list:

Think Chile, Northern California, France, the mesas in Argentina, S. Africa, they have seasons. Not the DR.

You see in the wine industry we concern ourselves with the microclimate of a grape growing region rather than the overall general climate of the country. True it is generaly to hot in the DR if you look at it that way but I live in a thriving wine industry in Canada where people think its to cold, but I will let the wines of Niagara speak for themselves. Also in the case of being to hot, take the island of Maui, one side of the island is very sunny and hot and see's little rain while the other side is glum, cooler and has alot of percipitation. Ultimitly I'm just trying to find out if there is a perfect microclimate in the DR.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
irishdomician said:
You see in the wine industry we concern ourselves with the microclimate of a grape growing region rather than the overall general climate of the country. True it is generaly to hot in the DR if you look at it that way but I live in a thriving wine industry in Canada where people think its to cold, but I will let the wines of Niagara speak for themselves. Also in the case of being to hot, take the island of Maui, one side of the island is very sunny and hot and see's little rain while the other side is glum, cooler and has alot of percipitation. Ultimitly I'm just trying to find out if there is a perfect microclimate in the DR.

The Neiba experiment proved that wines can be produced here. Tasted the first batch myself and it was very good. There is a perfect microclimate there. Conditions of hot days with little rainfall, and cool evenings and lots of subterranean water.

Italians visiting the site confirmed the wine was good by world standards. It can be done. They were looking for a private partner for the venture. With the change of government things went sour and they lost the production, but this can be retaken and it can work.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dolores said:
The Neiba experiment proved that wines can be produced here. Tasted the first batch myself and it was very good. There is a perfect microclimate there. Conditions of hot days with little rainfall, and cool evenings and lots of subterranean water.

Italians visiting the site confirmed the wine was good by world standards. It can be done. They were looking for a private partner for the venture. With the change of government things went sour and they lost the production, but this can be retaken and it can work.

(Bolding mine) - balsamic vinegar from Neiba? :rolleyes:

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
maybe the balsamic has improved

Found this old threat - going to Neiba this weekend - a long standing project that I finally get to realise, I have tasted the grapes on a trip transiting through Neiba, found them very tannic and tough in the skin, so might be good for wine... out of oenofile interests I am certainly going to try, maybe the Italians have improved the vinegar since 2005