Low-down on Boca Chica

yanuukka

Apr 17, 2005
I need someone to give me the real low-down on Boca Chica. The nightlife, the bars, the ladies, etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a guy called

Rick in Toronto who says he is the "pollo grande (and maybe he is, for all I know,) of Boca Chica". Doubtless, he will chime in here any minute, you can count on it.

In the opinion of the long time residents and local Dominican families, Boca Chica is a place you have to pass by on the way to Juan Dolio, Guayacanes or La Romana or further east.

I do hope Rick will learn to change his legend to something more appropriate like
"El Gallo de Boca Chica" , something much more masculine then "pollo grande" which to all Spanish speakers transmits a message of white, fat and foppish.....dang Rick, change it, okay?

So, Original Poster, you can see I appreciate Rick, but not Boca Chica....it's a dive where sleaze is easy.....

HB :ermm:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Rick in Toronto who says he is the "pollo grande (and maybe he is, for all I know,) of Boca Chica". Doubtless, he will chime in here any minute, you can count on it.

In the opinion of the long time residents and local Dominican families, Boca Chica is a place you have to pass by on the way to Juan Dolio, Guayacanes or La Romana or further east.

I do hope Rick will learn to change his legend to something more appropriate like
"El Gallo de Boca Chica" , something much more masculine then "pollo grande" which to all Spanish speakers transmits a message of white, fat and foppish.....dang Rick, change it, okay?

So, Original Poster, you can see I appreciate Rick, but not Boca Chica....it's a dive where sleaze is easy.....

HB :ermm:

Well...the OP asked about nightlife and the ladies.....so i am sure he wont be disapointed in boca chica (as far as there ladies are concerned). Actualy nightlife tho is pretty horrible these days since they shut down most of duarte.

I actualy like the beach and the snorkeling in BC better than either juan dolio or Guayacanes. THose places are nice if you are looking for something a bit more quiet with not so many vendors. I really like jumping on a guagua and going to playa carribe for the waves and boogie boarding.

The appeal of boca chica is that it is very close to the airport (10-15 mins) and close to the capital (30 mins). so one can have beach in the daytime and hit the city as well.

The downside of boca chica...is the eye sore off to the west (a huge shipping port)....and its deservedly seedy reputation. Think coney island with no rides or boardwalk....and lotsa working girls.

Would i take my mom there....NO...my sisters...maybe...have i seen better beaches....yes. Do i feel safe there...yes. Its not a spot for everyone.....but if you are on a budget and dont have a whole lot of time...then it can be fun.

now RE-OPEN RUTA 66 damit!!!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
BC is dead (only for the newbies)

yanuukka said:
I need someone to give me the real low-down on Boca Chica. The nightlife, the bars, the ladies, etc.
If you are new to BC, then this place is dead. If you are an experienced Veteran ;) ;) then nothing really changed for you. They closed down alot of the discos and bars on duarte. But there is a disco past the park on duarte called, Booah-Booah or something. Anyway it's HOT as HELL in that spot when its crowded but you can pick up something quick in there. Or in the day time, have a seat at one of those 100 pesos for a small presidente charging bars on the beach and they will smell you out.

The best thing for you to do is (if you know Spanish of course) is hang out at one of those tipicos in BC or nearby Andres and scoop one up. Good Luck

Oh yeah, I read that they raided the Pink Lady, across from El Candil

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I totaly agree with you ricardo. When i was there in february (my 5th trip).....i was able to find my "fun" or whatever.

I STILL think it just stinks that duarte is all closed up at night. IT used to be fun to sit out and people watch at one of the spots.

and oh yeah.....i went to that new disco (about a block west of the park) in february....if the OP is looking for girls....he will be in heaven there. NOT my scene....but i would imagine a horny tourists dream.

yanuukka

Apr 17, 2005
Thanks for the info people. I'm going down there with a buddy. It's a first time in DR for both of us and we were looking forward to the local flair of Calle Duarte. I had read a number of posts on different forums that talked about how cool it was that they closed down the street at night and partied. Do I get it right, that they don't do that anymore. That would suck.
Any more info would be great....................Thanks.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Don't stay there!

yanuukka said:
Oh yeah.....and if anybody can tell me anything about the hamaca coral?!
I am assuming you guys are going to do some chica chasing, if you stay at the Hamaca, you won't be able to bring any chicas in the rooms.
Where are you staying??
Do you speak spanish??
Have you searched prior threads??

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
yanuukka said:

Sounds far too keener newbie for me to comment.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
yanuukka said:
Oh yeah.....and if anybody can tell me anything about the hamaca coral?!

See? And incapable of doing research (threads here aplenty) in advance given this choice. Good luck with Mary Palm and her 5 sisters in the Hamaca.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Hillbilly said:

Too late to change it. There's a valid enough set of reasons, tongue firmly in cheek to have the nickname. If anything I wish Rob would change it to GranPollo en BC, but that's up to him.

yanuukka

Apr 17, 2005
Hey Rick, you are right. I am a newbie. Just starting looking at this site today. But, I'm very capable of doing the research. Just spent the last 2 hours going back in the threads. I never posted anything before and jumped the gun a little. Sorry if I stepped on your toes, big guy, but no need to get
pissy. I see you are a seasoned poster and would appreciate your opinions.
If you knew me, you'd know I was alright. Can't we just get along? LOL

yanuukka

Apr 17, 2005
Thanks Ricardo, I read that in some previous post. Unfortunately I found this site after we booked the trip. I guess we'll just make the best of it. I wonder if the guards would turn their heads for a few minutes for some cash?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
yanuukka said:
Thanks Ricardo, I read that in some previous post. Unfortunately I found this site after we booked the trip. I guess we'll just make the best of it. I wonder if the guards would turn their heads for a few minutes for some cash?
Don't worry there's a cabana on duarte at your disposal for about RD300

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
yanuukka said:

Check out a thread on Trip Reports, "El Caucho in Boca Chica" I think you'll find exactly what your looking for.
I had some friends from overseas ask me to check it out for them, so i visited the hotel last week, and yes, it looks perfect for all your dreams to come true.
www.elcaucho.com
Have fun.
Ken

Sorry, just realised you said the trip was already booked.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tongue in cheek is good

Just ask the Almighty Webmaster to do the change, and I'm sure he'll be nice enought to do it.

I still like El Gallo de Boca Chica. And even that can have a tongue in cheek...:D:D

HB :p:p:p

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Just ask the Almighty Webmaster to do the change, and I'm sure he'll be nice enought to do it.

I still like El Gallo de Boca Chica. And even that can have a tongue in cheek...:D:D

HB :p:p:p

A large contingent of people male and (mostly) female call me GranPollo and I cannot go changing that.

To the OP: Well at least you learned something - research/search here first, then don't book the Hamaca (or any AI and that is advice for all visitors) , and unless you are dirt poor keep the package and get another hotel as well - you can eat there and drink for free so it is not a total loss.

What few girlies there are will be fleecing you like a sheep and you should be more available to their microeconomy in a tourist , non-AI hotel.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Speak to no one!!!

yanuukka said:
Since you are a newbie, I'll give you the do's and dont's

Do not speak to ANY local men for ANYTHING, no directions, no nada!!
Carry pesos ONLY!! No greenbacks, euros, Yens, etc........
IF you drink or eat on the beach get the PRICESSSS!!! First
Don't eat from the CART or the OCTOPUS anywhere!!
Don't pay $100US for a date

There you have it, since you are going to be tarred and feathered anyway :bandit:
DO have a good time

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Elcaucho...

buseouno said:
Check out a thread on Trip Reports, "El Caucho in Boca Chica" I think you'll find exactly what your looking for.
I had some friends from overseas ask me to check it out for them, so i visited the hotel last week, and yes, it looks perfect for all your dreams to come true.
www.elcaucho.com
Have fun.
Ken

Sorry, just realised you said the trip was already booked.
Just noticed that the account for elcaucho.com domain has been closed.