Best beer value in Santo Domingo

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Chinese groceries across from each other on Benito Gonzalez between Jose Marti and Duarte:

In Santo Domingo's "Chinatown" you can buy three brands of Chinese beer at 25 pesos or 30 pesos per bottle or can depending on the brand. This is the same price (30 pesos) as Presidente pequena in colmados and the 25 peso brand is of course 5 pesos cheaper.

We have to find bargains as often as we can these days. Tsing Tao and Kingway are the premium brands that sell for 30 pesos. Kingway is always in a can and Tsing Tao sometimes is available in bottles and sometimes in cans. A third brand is brewed in China under license from one of the major Japanese breweries. It is lighter in body and alcohol content than Tsing Tao and Kingway, both of which, like Presidente, hover just under 6%. Kingway is the maltier of the three.

It's an excellent way to save a few pesos and add some much needed variety to the beer landscape. Burp!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It totally amazes me that I can buy imported beer cheaper than Presidente! Hell I can buy imported beer in the states for less than Presidente here.

What is wrong with this picture? Even Budweiser in National was cheaper.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I agree...

Escott said:
It totally amazes me that I can buy imported beer cheaper than Presidente! Hell I can buy imported beer in the states for less than Presidente here.

What is wrong with this picture? Even Budweiser in National was cheaper.
...I chalk it up to three reasons (as distinct from excuses):

1. irrational level of greed by local brewery

2. costs of excessive advertising

3. Presidente enjoys a captive market. The market is not captive in the sense that alternatives aren't available, but the local market is oddly unreceptive to anything that is not "criollo." See AZB's posts about Indian cuisine for a better explanation.

I am curious to see how AmBev will adjust its market penetration tactics. Premium international brands like Leffe and Brahma will have problems outside tourist centric locations like Cabarete and the Colonial Zone. As we've seen, not even a lower price is enough to combat the fear of the unknown.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ah "Aituro" What a wonder post!!

I, too, although a moderate beer drinker, am very interested in the availability of a variety of beers. Apparently the attempts by Presidente to corner even more of the local market with the 1 liter bottle and the new campaign that pushes the "Dominicanidad" of Presidente are to prepare for the all out war with AmBev.

YOu can bet that AmBev did not come here to get a 2% market share. They will be hunting for at least a 20% share of the local market and "cuidado!!" ....

A lot of my younger friends are now turning to Bohemia, since the word is going around that it is better tasting than Presidente. (Same Church, different pew.)

I remember when the Quisqueya people brought in Labatt's . It sold very well, and within a week or so, the Presidente people had a dozen reefers (Trailers with cooling units) filled to the brim with Miller and spread out in the major beer drinking areas of the DR... Take that, Labatts!

The fight will be tooth, nails and bare-knuckle, you can make book on it. If there are any students of business administration that want a lesson in how to be dirty in the war for consumers, keep watch on this situation. Presidente will threated to not sell Presidente or Marlboros to those colmados with Brahma or any other AMBEV beer. They will offer more coolers and more signage. Ohh, this will be fun to watch.

And the consumers will be the eventural winners.

HB :p:p:p

Apr 26, 2002
Fine post, Hillbilly

I'm just back from Ecuador, where Ambev has invaded in its effort to conquer the two quite respectable local breweries.

As Hillbilly noted, this won't be like Labatt's trepid incursion into the DR. Expect sexy advertisements plastered all over TV, radio and billboards for Ambev's dedicated international swill - Brahma. Ambev has major league money to spend and they're bent on market share conquest at any cost. To some extent, you'll see them out-Presidente Presidente.

Though Brahma is actually worse than Budweiser (is that possible?), Dominicans are suckers for glossy, new, slickly advertised anything. (I remember all the young hip dudes downing MGD when it came out - before anyone had a chance to tell them it sucks.) This means higher advertising costs and short term reduced sales for Presidente.

Oh poor Leon Jiminez, they'll be in my prayers.

As an aside, people are drinking Bohemia because it's cheaper and because of various negative rumors about Presidente (don't they know it's made in the same brewery of the same stuff?). I don't know anyone who thinks it tastes better.

As another aside, I loved being able to use US Dollars in Ecuador and look forward to the pending change to Dollars in the DR. :speechles

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Hillbilly said:
A lot of my younger friends are now turning to Bohemia, since the word is going around that it is better tasting than Presidente. (Same Church, different pew.)
I too enjoy Bohemia, I drink enough "presidente con clamato" in the US and usually switch to bohemia when I'm in the DR.
What ever happened to Presidente Light??

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Presidente Light

Ricardo900 said:
I too enjoy Bohemia, I drink enough "presidente con clamato" in the US and usually switch to bohemia when I'm in the DR.
What ever happened to Presidente Light??

It's alive and well. It's only available in the pequena and grande formats, no Jumbo/litros as yet. I find that it's widely available but I don't know the details of its sales statistics.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chirimoya said:
Mmmm. Leffe!
I see you got dreamy eyed at the mention of it too! LOL Brune or Blonde, Chiri? Now if I could just have some Belgian fries and mussles to go with it... :cheeky:

Folks, Ambev is used to tough fights for market share in their home market, Brazil, and have been slowly marching across South America. They have one heck of a marketing machine behind them. HB is correct. Presidente is in for a quite a fight.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Though Brahma is actually worse than Budweiser (is that possible?)
I don't know what Brahma tastes like outside Brazil, but its Brazilian version is much better than Bud. Hell, most beer is better tasting than Bud, with the possible exception of Stella Artois....

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Keith R said:
I don't know what Brahma tastes like outside Brazil, but its Brazilian version is much better than Bud. Hell, most beer is better tasting than Bud, with the possible exception of Stella Artois....

Hi Keith, you seem to know quite a lot about Belgian beers ! Are you Belgian ?? I am myself from southern part of Belgium and I can't wait till I find some Belgian beers in DR !!!!!! :lick:
Leffe being one of my favorite one with the Blanche de Hoegaarden. Actually I like Presidente, it's better than Stella and almost as good as Jupiler, but I would apreciate a little more choice when I go shopping or when I go out (and don't talk to me about US beers, please ! I meant REAL beers, not Miller or Bud !).
So AmBev, hurry up, I wait you !!!!!!!
I've nevertheless been told that in the beginning they will only sell Brahma :disappoin . Does someone know something on the offer they will have ?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
El Belga said:
Hi Keith, you seem to know quite a lot about Belgian beers ! Are you Belgian ?? I am myself from southern part of Belgium and I can't wait till I find some Belgian beers in DR !!!!!! :lick:
Leffe being one of my favorite one with the Blanche de Hoegaarden. Actually I like Presidente, it's better than Stella and almost as good as Jupiler, but I would apreciate a little more choice when I go shopping or when I go out (and don't talk to me about US beers, please ! I meant REAL beers, not Miller or Bud !).
So AmBev, hurry up, I wait you !!!!!!!
I've nevertheless been told that in the beginning they will only sell Brahma :disappoin . Does someone know something on the offer they will have ?
No, not Belgian, but I used to go to Brussels every year for 10 yrs., and fell in love with Belgian beers. Give me a good trappiste any day! Especially if served at Le Fleur de Papier.... I also love the various Hoegardeen's (not just the blanche), Duvel (especially the Triple!), Chimay... well, don't get me started. About the only Belgian beer I dislike (besides the fruit-flavored ones, which simply don't strike me as beer) is Stella Artois, which to me is almost as bad as most American beers.

If you're looking for these beers in SD, your best bet is the Beer Haus on Churchill next to the Arcos amusement park. They had 4-5 Belgian beers there when I was there in 2003. I can't remember the cross street, but I'm sure someone else here will, since we've had several DR1 get-togethers (including mine in July 2003, pictures in the Gallery) there.

Best Regards,
Keith

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Belgian beer

Keith R said:
No, not Belgian, but I used to go to Brussels every year for 10 yrs., and fell in love with Belgian beers. Give me a good trappiste any day! Especially if served at Le Fleur de Papier.... I also love the various Hoegardeen's (not just the blanche), Duvel (especially the Triple!), Chimay... well, don't get me started. About the only Belgian beer I dislike (besides the fruit-flavored ones, which simply don't strike me as beer) is Stella Artois, which to me is almost as bad as most American beers.

If you're looking for these beers in SD, your best bet is the Beer Haus on Churchill next to the Arcos amusement park. They had 4-5 Belgian beers there when I was there in 2003. I can't remember the cross street, but I'm sure someone else here will, since we've had several DR1 get-togethers (including mine in July 2003, pictures in the Gallery) there.

Best Regards,
Keith

There are a number of places to get Belgian beer around town:

1. Carrefour has the widest selection at the lowest prices, although it's not so convenient unless you happen to live in Los Alcarrizos.

2. A little coffe bar/lounge on the lower level of the Acropolis shopping center near the foot of the escalators sells Duvel and two varieties of Leffe at prices between RD$100 and RD$200/bottle depending on whether you buy them at happy hour or not.

3. Some of the Nacional supermarket branches occasionally have promotions featuring Belgian beers, but those are fairly rare.

4. A new Belgian restaurant is due to open on Independencia near the corner of Jose Joaquin Perez (between the rear entrances of the Jaragua and the Melia hotels), at the site of the former Frida Mexican restaurant. I don't have further details about this but a Duvel logo is prominent on the side of the building.

I will be a happy man the day I see Blanche de Bruges "tir? du f?t, ? la pression" here - but I am not holding my breath.

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
arturo said:
1. Carrefour has the widest selection at the lowest prices, although it's not so convenient unless you happen to live in Los Alcarrizos.

I was there 2 weeks ago, they had 6 Belgian beers among which 3 fruit beers (at least my wife enjoyed them) and the others were far from been my top choice :cry:

I live in Santiago but I plan to make a "Belgian beer tour" in Santo Domingo one of these days with 2 Belgian friends of mine. :cool: :bunny:

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
What about Amber?

There have been no comments to date re Amber, the dark, and slightly sweet, brew from the Pres brewers. Any thoughts??????

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Bonjour El Belga,

arturo said:
2. A little coffe bar/lounge on the lower level of the Acropolis shopping center near the foot of the escalators sells Duvel and two varieties of Leffe at prices between RD$100 and RD$200/bottle depending on whether you buy them at happy hour or not.
When I was there last Summer this tiny little place also sold Hoegaarden.
The owner of the place is a Belgian guy, one of the waitresses told me.

arturo said:
I will be a happy man the day I see Blanche de Bruges "tir? du f?t, ? la pression" here - but I am not holding my breath.
Bartolomeo de Bruges ;)