No resort this time-

grmtngrl

Jan 20, 2005
First -I read these forums like our local newspaper when I get the chance, and love the rhetoric, advice, humor, etc

I don't post much, but have a few general questions-

This will be our second trip to Sosua (got engaged there last year/now happily married)

Instead of an all inclusive resort, we will be at El Neptune from 4/27 - 5/8. We were chatting last night about what we want to do this trip besides play on the beach, and drink and eat at Rocky's (which will be a welcome chunk of the trip), and were hoping to get info on:

Day trip to Santiago (Transportation/Where to go/what to see- Is this somewhere we want to go??)
Fishing on a boat
Trip to Samana (Same as Santiago)

We were not planning on renting a car, but can if it is necessary

Also, is there anything we should bring to cook with that we can't get locally and is plentiful in US?

Thanks in advance

GMG

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi there! I think you will find all you need here in the supermarkets, just relax enjoy the vacation and get the products in Sosua!

There are travel agents that organizes daytrips to both Samana and Santiago.
Otherwise you can go by bus ( Caribe Tours ) on your own. Caribe Tours station is on the mainroad in Sosua, anyone will show you where it is.
The bus goes in both directions, to Santiago and also towards Samana.

You can also go VERY local and go by the public minibusses, it is crowded, very crowded, takes alot of time and very cheap.
To Samana you would need to change public bus, first to Rio San Juan, further to Nagua, Sanchez and then Samana...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
grmtngrl said:
First -I read these forums like our local newspaper when I get the chance, and love the rhetoric, advice, humor, etc

I don't post much, but have a few general questions-

This will be our second trip to Sosua (got engaged there last year/now happily married)

Instead of an all inclusive resort, we will be at El Neptune from 4/27 - 5/8. We were chatting last night about what we want to do this trip besides play on the beach, and drink and eat at Rocky's (which will be a welcome chunk of the trip), and were hoping to get info on:

Day trip to Santiago (Transportation/Where to go/what to see- Is this somewhere we want to go??)
Fishing on a boat
Trip to Samana (Same as Santiago)

We were not planning on renting a car, but can if it is necessary

Also, is there anything we should bring to cook with that we can't get locally and is plentiful in US?

Thanks in advance

GMG
Don't forget to write a review on your accomodations:)

I would suggest buying a cab and driver for the day and go to Luperon, or even Cabrera, Las Terenas, Las Gallares and Samana. I don't know what there is to see in Santiago other than a crowded city with tons of exhaust fumes.

If you need stuff from a hardware store I recommend Santiago. Wait they do have a monument. Just tell them Yo Christiano, Yo Christiano when they keep trying to sell you beer over and over and over again! That was a tip AZB gave me.

Bring PAM, that stuff is seriously expensive here. Like 5 bucks. Heck everything is expensive here now so go shopping first.

See you soon!

Scott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As a total heathen, Escott would not know

much about Santiago, the cultural capitol of the DR. A visit to the Centro Le?n is an absolute must to learn about the island, its art and its music. The current exhibit is of paintings that are related to the merengue. And their gift shop is maybe one of the top three in the country for value and authentic stuff, including limited edition CDs of Dominican music.

Besides that, there is the folklore museum on Restauration Street. This is a place that really needs people to visit it. Around the Parque Duarte, by the cathedral there are at least four more cultural spots including the Casa de Arte, and 37 en las Tablas.

Santiago also has some very good places to eat, depending on your tastes. Novo-Cuisine, Italian, neo Chinese, French...Dominican.

And it is a Dominican City, with little to cater to tourists besides the reality of life in the Dominican Republic.

An eye opening experience is to see Los Hospedajes up close and personal...

HB :p:p

For the next three weeks I have some free time..ever eat "kipes"?? :D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Now where is the other hypster AZB. I threw the bait out for both of you slugs and you have been the only one to bite so far:)

For a guy that never goes to Santiago I certainly have run into you by happenstance many times, huh? Hell I probably see you more in Santiago than those that go there to see you!:)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
Now where is the other hypster AZB. I threw the bait out for both of you slugs and you have been the only one to bite so far:)

For a guy that never goes to Santiago I certainly have run into you by happenstance many times, huh? Hell I probably see you more in Santiago than those that go there to see you!:)
Correction:
Scott has only seen hillbilly on av. juan pablo duarte and in streets of los jardines. Incidently, hillbilly lives near that area. Scott has never been to the leon jeminez museum, nor casa de cultura, any art exibits or any jazz bars. Scott only knows hardware stores, monumento and my home. if you take him to places where people are not impressed by him beacuse he is a white gringo with american passport, he becomes uncomfortable and drives right back to sosua, even if its 2am in the morning. So for his well being, I only take him to places which are enjoyed by chopos and sosua gringos. considering he is from a one street hooker town, with only one non-functioning traffic light, a city like santiago is sure too much to handle for him.
By the way, its not "yo christiano" its "no gracias, somos cristiano, no tomamos cervezas....". I see, spanish is a little hard to learn if you live in gated community and only speak to hookers 24/7. can't blame you for speaking only 10 words of spanish, you have only lived here 4 years.
AZB

grmtngrl

Jan 20, 2005
Yipes! Kipes??

Hillbilly said:
much about Santiago, the cultural capitol of the DR. A visit to the Centro Le?n is an absolute must to learn about the island, its art and its music. The current exhibit is of paintings that are related to the merengue. And their gift shop is maybe one of the top three in the country for value and authentic stuff, including limited edition CDs of Dominican music.

Besides that, there is the folklore museum on Restauration Street. This is a place that really needs people to visit it. Around the Parque Duarte, by the cathedral there are at least four more cultural spots including the Casa de Arte, and 37 en las Tablas.

Santiago also has some very good places to eat, depending on your tastes. Novo-Cuisine, Italian, neo Chinese, French...Dominican.

And it is a Dominican City, with little to cater to tourists besides the reality of life in the Dominican Republic.

An eye opening experience is to see Los Hospedajes up close and personal...

HB :p:p

For the next three weeks I have some free time..ever eat "kipes"?? :D

Santiago sounds colorful- probably would at least like to check it out-

Scott- what would I possibly need at the hardware store if staying at your condo??? Is there something you're not telling us? Should stop at Home Depot this week and pick up a toilet or shower stall to bring with us?

Ok HB- I'll bite ..............Kipes are???

Thanks for all the advice

GMG

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
AZB said:
Correction:
Scott has only seen hillbilly on av. juan pablo duarte and in streets of los jardines. Incidently, hillbilly lives near that area. Scott has never been to the leon jeminez museum, nor casa de cultura, any art exibits or any jazz bars. Scott only knows hardware stores, monumento and my home. if you take him to places where people are not impressed by him beacuse he is a white gringo with american passport, he becomes uncomfortable and drives right back to sosua, even if its 2am in the morning. So for his well being, I only take him to places which are enjoyed by chopos and sosua gringos. considering he is from a one street hooker town, with only one non-functioning traffic light, a city like santiago is sure too much to handle for him.
By the way, its not "yo christiano" its "no gracias, somos cristiano, no tomamos cervezas....". I see, spanish is a little hard to learn if you live in gated community and only speak to hookers 24/7. can't blame you for speaking only 10 words of spanish, you have only lived here 4 years.
AZB
Thanks for not letting me down. I haven't been here 4 years yet btw but you knew that.

I have run into HB in many places. I have been to Santiago many times when you were not with me. I have run into HB at Banco Santo Cruz as well as other places but glad to see that you know my every move in Santiago. Guess it actually is a small town instead of a LARGE, SMELLY EXHAUST FILLED, TRAFFIC JAM of a city.

Only time I leave at 2am is when you try to lay on the YOUNG women on me which I don't care for btw in case you haven't figured that out by now. I like my women to reach the pimple stage before I go out with them.

I never saw any Art Exhibits nor have I been to Jazz Bars because all the times I was there with you and at your house, you sleep all day and cruise the ghettos all night yelling at me "STOP THE CAR, STOP THE CAR" so you can chat up the walking chicas.

Never knew there was a jazz club in Santiago nor any other restaurant other than Ahi Bar that you frequent. Now I was a regular at the Jazz Club in Cabarete that has since closed and go to listen to Jazz every chance I get. Many people on this message board have accompanied me there.

Have you EVER listened to JAZZ? I seriously doubt it.

You coming back to Sosua next week again?

Love ya,
Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
grmtngrl said:
Santiago sounds colorful- probably would at least like to check it out-

Scott- what would I possibly need at the hardware store if staying at your condo??? Is there something you're not telling us? Should stop at Home Depot this week and pick up a toilet or shower stall to bring with us?

Ok HB- I'll bite ..............Kipes are???

Thanks for all the advice

GMG
Write up a trip report if you ever go to Santiago. I think it would be interesting.

I go to Santiago all the time when I am doing a renovation for materials. The prices are lower than Puerto Plata and selection is greater. If you are having it delivered you will get a lesson in humility because that is as funny as driving in the DR and you will need exactly the same amount of luck to get though it:)

It is so hilarious when they tell me that it will be delivered on Monday:) I just sit there giggling after they say those words. Always allow 2 weeks after the promised date and then be thankful. This is after having my buddy AZB negotiate for me and go back in and chew their asses out! Ochoa is the biggest and closest to a Home Depot and the way it is run is like imagine you had kindergarteners running a business. It is a riot!

They have a new gig at every intersection in Santiago. Instead of walking up to your car window to wash it and you can say no and wave your finger at them they throw the soaking sponge from 20 feet so it messes up the window first. Then lucky you will have the opportunity to buy a newspaper, peanuts, water, telephone cards and even cellular accessories at every corner and they all look at you like you are nuts because you didn't buy anything from them. Another highlight is when the guy on crutches comes up to the car with his hand out. I think every cripple has a franchise on every intersection. Since there are not enough cripples you have some of these people cripple themselves for the spot on the roster. This is what you have to look forward to in Santiago when you are there:)

Now they all claim that it is one hour from the beach which is either very optimistic or they all drive like Parnelli Jones. Wait a second, maybe that is why there are so many problems driving, they DO DRIVE LIKE A RACE CAR DRIVER!

Check out Santiago, it is a blast! Maybe AZB will take you to the supermarket also for lunch. That is the highlight of my trips to see him.

AZB and Hillbilly are real decent guys and I consider them friends I can count on. I am sure they would be glad to show you around.

Bring some maple syrup for Hillbilly if you are going and if not pick some up for me and I will bring it to him and pay you for it. He loves the stuff. I think he drinks it right out of the bottle.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
Only time I leave at 2am is when you try to lay on the YOUNG women on me which I don't care for btw in case you haven't figured that out by now. I like my women to reach the pimple stage before I go out with them.

I never saw any Art Exhibits nor have I been to Jazz Bars because all the times I was there with you and at your house, you sleep all day and cruise the ghettos all night yelling at me "STOP THE CAR, STOP THE CAR" so you can chat up the walking chicas.

Never knew there was a jazz club in Santiago nor any other restaurant other than Ahi Bar that you frequent. Now I was a regular at the Jazz Club in Cabarete that has since closed and go to listen to Jazz every chance I get. Many people on this message board have accompanied me there.

Have you EVER listened to JAZZ? I seriously doubt it.

You coming back to Sosua next week again?

Love ya,
Escott
By the way, a 25 yrs old girl decent girl in francifol is too young for scott, but a 20 yrs old hooker may not be so young in sosua. See my point? Now if a 55 yrs old gringo comes to santiago to meet women, I am sure I will not be able to get him a decent young girl (23-26 yrs old) who would fall in love with him the first day and then end up in his bed before the night fall. So what do you do? You cruise the streets to find a low life hooker who would resemble an ugly sosua hooker so my friend from north coast would feel right at home. But scott has given up hopes on meeting a nice santiaguera and instead he has become a very nice guest, beacuse all he wants to do is talk about real estate properties all over this island while eating a good steak.
Now enough about displaying personal laundry to the public (scott's favorite subject).

santiago has everything anyone asks for. Its a little city while still retaining the big city excitment. We have 2 movie theaters here, 2 huge supermarkets, which sell everything you could imagine. We have a nice sized mall and another one is opening up soon (las colinas mall). We have country clubs which scott hasn't heard about yet. We have jazz clubs and steak houses which are unknown to scott. We have people who actually speak spanish, whom scott can't communicate with. We have a bit of everything, even rivers only 30 minutes away. santiago is only appreciated by santiagueros and visitors who want to see more than just beach and other visiting foreigners. santiago is only a huge traffic jammed city to people who don't know any side streets and only come there to buy hardware stuff. people who are afraid to speak spanish and get to know the real dominican republic. Of course, I have driven through connecticut and have eaten in a restaurant in some city, but do I really know connecticut? I don't think so.
AZB