flying into santiago--trip planning advice?

Bethy

Apr 19, 2005
Hi--
My group of four is flying into El Cibao airport next week on the late night jetblue flight. I have a few questions:
Can some one recommend a good not-too-expensive hotel near the airport? (Jet Blue recommends the Hodelpa Centro Plaza, but that seems a bit much for our needs.) Really, we just need a place to crash that's clean, since we want to take a bus out to the Samana Peninsula in the morning. I was reading an old thread and someone mentioned a cabana near the airport, but I'm not sure what that means--can someone explain it to me?
Which brings me to my next question: What's the bus situation from Santiago to the Samana Peninsula? It seems like Caribe Tours and Metro Bus don't go that way? I did some research and found a company called Transporte Pepe--has anyone heard of them? Are they reputable? Is there a bus station in Santiago, and if so, where is it located?
Thanks!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Do a search here (e.g. hotels santiago) - there are a couple very recent threads on hotels in Santiago ranging from the cheap to the costly.

NYDOM

Mar 22, 2005
santiago

i got a renta car last time in santiago for 30us a day (always book the cheapest
one most of the time they give you a up grade)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Renting a car should be a last resort for tourists unfamiliar with the rather odd driving attitude, e.g. kill 'em all. And she asked about the bus and a good decision that.

Bethy

Apr 19, 2005
Do a search here (e.g. hotels santiago) - there are a couple very recent threads on hotels in Santiago ranging from the cheap to the costly.

OK, thanks. I'll try doing a search.

Last edited:

Bethy

Apr 19, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Renting a car should be a last resort for tourists unfamiliar with the rather odd driving attitude, e.g. kill 'em all. And she asked about the bus and a good decision that.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the idea of trying to drive. When I was on an extended stay of several months in 1999-2000, my group had a car and it was very convenient, but usually the person doing the driving was Dominican, or at least familiar with the "odd driving attitude".

One of us went to the Dominican consulate here in NYC and asked for some advice, but according to him, they were quite unhelpful, so any advice from someone who has actual experience of atking the bus from Santiago would be much appreciated!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Gregg was the guy that spoke of the Cabana. It is a place people go for sex but it is cheap and nice for short stays if you can get past the stigma. PM Gregg and he will give you the info happily.

Have a nice time.

Escott

Bethy

Apr 19, 2005
Escott said:
Gregg was the guy that spoke of the Cabana. It is a place people go for sex but it is cheap and nice for short stays if you can get past the stigma. PM Gregg and he will give you the info happily.

Have a nice time.

Escott

OK, I found the thread you were talking about. I guess if he could stay there with his family I shouldn't be too squeamish about it!

Thanks for the advice!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This will solve your problem

Take a cab from the airport to either the Hotel Colonial (809 247 3122-talk to Victor) or Alberto's Suites Apart Hotel (809 971 6005--talk to Odile) At both places rooms are significantly under $35 with A/C.

In the morning you can walk over to the bus line at the corner of a tiny street between San Luis and Mella Streets on Pedro Francisco Bono. Or you can pay $2.50 for a cab to take you there. Buses leave to Saman? in the morning and the afternoon, as I have posted before.

Have fun and visit OLAS Internet Caf? and say hi for me...

HB :D:D:D

Bethy

Apr 19, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Take a cab from the airport to either the Hotel Colonial (809 247 3122-talk to Victor) or Alberto's Suites Apart Hotel (809 971 6005--talk to Odile) At both places rooms are significantly under $35 with A/C.

In the morning you can walk over to the bus line at the corner of a tiny street between San Luis and Mella Streets on Pedro Francisco Bono. Or you can pay $2.50 for a cab to take you there. Buses leave to Saman? in the morning and the afternoon, as I have posted before.

Have fun and visit OLAS Internet Caf? and say hi for me...

HB :D:D:D

Thanks a lot! That's really useful information--gotta go make some phone calls now...I'm really looking forward to this trip!
:classic: