Family Research - Puerto Plata

daveh

Apr 19, 2005
I need to know if anyone knows a genealogical researcher in the Dominican Republic, specifically the City of Puerto Plata. I'm helping a family member who seeks information on Domingo Bonilla, who was born Dec. 20, 1914; his parents were: Manuel Cestero and Particia Bonilla. Domingo Bonilla died in US in the 1980s. Any help is greatly appreciated! ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
This website has census of Puerto Plata from 1871,1875 and 1879 online.
I have done some research for the Amber Museum in order to do a story about the house where the museum is located, and even though I am an experienced person in these matters, it is extremely difficult here compared to Sweden where I am from or the US.
Many census are missing, and not done etc.
Give it a shot anyway, and pm me if I can assist you in anything from here!

http://genealogiadominicana.com/

daveh

Apr 19, 2005
carina said:
This website has census of Puerto Plata from 1871,1875 and 1879 online.
I have done some research for the Amber Museum in order to do a story about the house where the museum is located, and even though I am an experienced person in these matters, it is extremely difficult here compared to Sweden where I am from or the US.
Many census are missing, and not done etc.
Give it a shot anyway, and pm me if I can assist you in anything from here!

http://genealogiadominicana.com/

Thanks carina. I went to the site you suggested and found some info, but the names I search are very commom in DR. Also, thanks for the advice on not posting the same message in two topics! I emailed the two gentleman at genealogiadominicana.com to see if they can help. Are you in DR and do you do research? Thanks

daveh

Apr 19, 2005
carina, I emailed the gentle men at genealogiadominicana.com but the email came back. Do you know if they're still in business?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The one guy I know

is named Edwin Espinal. I think he is in either Santo Domingo or Santiago. (he's from Santiago).

I'll check. There are Cesteros and Bonillas all over the place....Does you friend have a DOB??

HB

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I don?t know if they are still in business, have not been in contact with them.
I tried when I was researching the Bentz/Hatchmann families for Villa Bentz, to do a story when I was designing the website for Amber Museum, but never got any replies.
I went to different places here in POP to get information, compared stories with the few old "very original" people still alive here. Like Harry Gilbert, 95 years and the guide at the fortress who is the son of Roderick Arthur..
They could not help much with facts, but they could help me to put family members together from names I got fromt the cemetery etc, etc,
It was actually very interesting hearing the stories from these men,,, even though I know the added some spices to their stories! ;)

daveh

Apr 19, 2005
Here's the DOB !

Hillbilly said:
is named Edwin Espinal. I think he is in either Santo Domingo or Santiago. (he's from Santiago).

I'll check. There are Cesteros and Bonillas all over the place....Does you friend have a DOB??

HB

Thanks Hillbilly. Domingo Bonilla was born inPuerto Plata Dec. 20, 1914; his parents were: Manuel Cestero and Particia Bonilla. Domingo Bonilla died in US in the 1980s

daveh

Apr 19, 2005
carina said:
Other websites you can search on, to get some facts or maybe find something is
www.rootsweb.com
www.familysearch.org
www.ellisisland.com

All are free and based on genealogies that people have submitted.
Good luck!

Ps. Remember to check with miss spellings, it is very usual, ex Bonilla to Bonila etc.

Thanks Carina - and once again, I'll pay (in advance) for research/leg-work for tracking down any info (i.e library visits, local archive visits, micro film work, etc...).
David

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You can get mircofilms to your local libary, they order it if they don?t have it. In USA almost all available microfilms are in Utah.
In POP there is a mormon representative office, not sure what they have in filmed archives etc here. You would find their email on the www.familysearch.org website.
Unfortunately there are not many microfilms to look at and search in as birth certificate was not mandatory here in history etc.
In many countries the churches handled this.
Here the story is different, and there are a few census, other documentation in the bigger cities to search, but not much.
Not even the cemeteries today keep records of who is burried and where!