Dollarization Coming???

Apr 26, 2002
I'm just back from Ecuador, where dollarization seems to have been a qualified success.

First, some background. Ecuador has a political system that is, if you can believe it, actually worse than the DR's (and I got my first whiff of teargas to prove it). It's institutions are so weak that no elaborate schemes are necessary for high ranking government officials to steal public funds. As one former president of the country did, you just walk into the Central Bank and take it - a la Sadam Hussein.

It is said that the cost of dollarization is that countries' governments lose control over monetary policy -- i.e. the ability to adjust to short term shocks in the economy by tightening or loosening the money supply. This is, however, to be weighed against the benefit -- that countries' corrupt, irresponsible, conniving governments lose control over monetary policy. In other words, if you have a corrupt government that manipulates currency in various schemes for personal and political gain, the benefit of losing control outweighs the cost. In addition, I understand that, to some extent, loss of monetary policy can be offset with effective management of fiscal policy.

It is also said that the success of dollarization would largely be based on the level of commercial contacts with the United States and other dollarized countries. I note that, in this regard, the Dominican Republic probably exceeds Ecuador. Though Ecuador exports more to the US, the DR's economy is more thoroughly tied to the US through tourism, remittances and geography.

It also takes no great political or popular will to dollarize. A weak president of Ecuador who only lasted 6 months in office did it with the help of the US Treasury and a reformist Ecuadorian Central Bank board, essentially while nobody was looking. Once the process started, it just rolled on.

The experience of the Ecuadorians was at first mixed. There was no reduction in inflation. There was "rounding up" of costs. There was a drop in real income. However, after about a year, the advantages of monetary stability took hold. Wages adjusted. Prices stabilized. Ecuador now has amongst the lowest inflation in Latin America.

Today, even with its ongoing legendary political instability continuing, the Ecuadorian economy continues to grow, almost immune to the governmental tribulations.

Mondongo wrote not too long ago that he saw Leonel Fernandez' economic policies (artificially inflating the Peso, rebuilding reserves - all at tremendous cost to the economy) as being designed to create an environment whereby the DR government can borrow more money. I put this forward: Given the visit of Deputy Treasury Secretary Taylor to the DR last Summer to promote dollarization, isn't Fernandez really creating a situation where the DR can be easily dollarized? With the artificially inflated Peso, wouldn't the DR actually enjoy short term relief, and not shock, from dollarization?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Without any facts to prove, I think we've been firmly pegged to the Dollar (in some kind of non-overt friendly way) for a few months already. Probably happened when no-one was looking. In essence, I agree, Dollarization is coming and really, it will be a good thing at the moment. I don't think there will be a shock to the 'system' and I think also that it will solve more issues than what it would cause. Not much time this morning to wax lyrical.. ;)

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Im not an economist but I think that will come the legalization of the American Dolar, all things are based on the dollar exchange, no matter what kind of product, if dollar is up everything goes up.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Good post.

Can you show some verifiable data about the effect of dollarization in Ecuador?

If you can, include data of other dollarized economies (ie. El Salvador, etc) to contrast and compare, but only if you can.

This is just to see if the effects are due to the dollarization per se, or just that Ecuador is going through an economic stabilized period. Afterall, we (DR) have managed to collapse our inflation with single digits showing up to today since about December of last year and this has been done without dollarization, at least not officially.

Thanks in advance for whatever data you are able to provide, it will greatly help in making a much better assesment of Dollarizing and what it meant for Ecuador and what it could mean for the DR since no two countries react the same to the same issue.

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
I'm just back from Ecuador, where dollarization seems to have been a qualified success.

First, some background. Ecuador has a political system that is, if you can believe it, actually worse than the DR's (and I got my first whiff of teargas to prove it). It's institutions are so weak that no elaborate schemes are necessary for high ranking government officials to steal public funds. As one former president of the country did, you just walk into the Central Bank and take it - a la Sadam Hussein.

It is said that the cost of dollarization is that countries' governments lose control over monetary policy -- i.e. the ability to adjust to short term shocks in the economy by tightening or loosening the money supply. This is, however, to be weighed against the benefit -- that countries' corrupt, irresponsible, conniving governments lose control over monetary policy. In other words, if you have a corrupt government that manipulates currency in various schemes for personal and political gain, the benefit of losing control outweighs the cost. In addition, I understand that, to some extent, loss of monetary policy can be offset with effective management of fiscal policy.

It is also said that the success of dollarization would largely be based on the level of commercial contacts with the United States and other dollarized countries. I note that, in this regard, the Dominican Republic probably exceeds Ecuador. Though Ecuador exports more to the US, the DR's economy is more thoroughly tied to the US through tourism, remittances and geography.

It also takes no great political or popular will to dollarize. A weak president of Ecuador who only lasted 6 months in office did it with the help of the US Treasury and a reformist Ecuadorian Central Bank board, essentially while nobody was looking. Once the process started, it just rolled on.

The experience of the Ecuadorians was at first mixed. There was no reduction in inflation. There was "rounding up" of costs. There was a drop in real income. However, after about a year, the advantages of monetary stability took hold. Wages adjusted. Prices stabilized. Ecuador now has amongst the lowest inflation in Latin America.

Today, even with its ongoing legendary political instability continuing, the Ecuadorian economy continues to grow, almost immune to the governmental tribulations.

Mondongo wrote not too long ago that he saw Leonel Fernandez' economic policies (artificially inflating the Peso, rebuilding reserves - all at tremendous cost to the economy) as being designed to create an environment whereby the DR government can borrow more money. I put this forward: Given the visit of Deputy Treasury Secretary Taylor to the DR last Summer to promote dollarization, isn't Fernandez really creating a situation where the DR can be easily dollarized? With the artificially inflated Peso, wouldn't the DR actually enjoy short term relief, and not shock, from dollarization?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I agree 100% with TBill. (Maybe I should not post this because it might get controversial, what the heck, most of my post end up being controversial anyway! ;) ) these low class peoples need to stop posting here.

BTW, by low class I don't mean economic, but the lack of self respect, let alone the respect of others is just non existent in such poster.

The lack of class in certain individual is mind boggling at times. You don't have to be an egoistic person, but there is a certain level of class that everybody must adhere to.

These low level posts are just unacceptable.

Agree with TBill 100%!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I think that person is gone.... Now I just have to clean up my pm's. ;) TexasBill, perhaps you could edit your post (the quoted portion, and leave just the minimum of the trash that was posted. Something like "I stand on my bed ..... and pull my skirt over my head...) :laugh:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
OK, chris-----

I edited the "post", is it any better???
Didn't mind doing so since I was offended, but afraid might have left it even worse???

Pls advise.

Texas Bill

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Texas Bill said:
I edited the "post", is it any better???
Didn't mind doing so since I was offended, but afraid might have left it even worse???

Pls advise.

Texas Bill

I love it - having a good giggle here - thx Bill.

Stay well,
Amy

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Talking about Ecuador, the latest is that President Lucio Gutierrez has been forced out. The Vice-president has been named in his place. The situation is still very confusing. They say Gutierrez has taken refuge in the Brazilian Embassy where he's asking for political asylum. Analysts agree that this was a purely political or constitutional crisis, unrelated to the economy which, they say, has been doing well. Tomorrow the OAS will hold a meeting to decide if the constitutional order has been broken or preserved during this crisis. The latest crisis worsened after former president Abdala Bucaram was admitted into the country with the support of Mr. Gutierrez. There has been a sea of protests lately, turning increasely violent during the last few days.

We'll see how things develop.

Lurch

Aug 8, 2003
Porfio_Rubirosa said:

Interesting perspective I really had not paid much attention to the dollarization of the RD since it would sharply curtail corruption and the nationalistic nature of Dominicans (just ask about Puerto Rico and the response usually follows as "they are without flag and without a peso, they are not a country").

The PLD is currently "stealing" about 60% of the remittances that are sent the RD via the artificial peso valuation. I suspect Fernandez and the boys over at funglode are not terribly in a hurry to give that up. :bandit:

Sep 20, 2003
With the US dollar falling so much in value in the last 2 years, why not think about Euro's instead?

Many countries have their cash reserves in dollars and have lost 40% of its value because of the American currency's decline.
:bunny:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
"With the US dollar falling so much in value in the last 2 years, why not think about Euro's instead? "

Good question. I am sure there will be answers pointing out the benefits or the impracticality of such measure.

Apr 26, 2002
joel pacheco said:
With the US dollar falling so much in value in the last 2 years, why not think about Euro's instead?

Many countries have their cash reserves in dollars and have lost 40% of its value because of the American currency's decline.
:bunny:
Two reasons why not. For one, were the DR currency in Euros, the price of Dominican goods and services would have increased 40% to Americans and Canadians (of course, this already happened, but for different reasons). An expensive currency does not benefit the DR except in regard to debt payments.

For another, there is no program of the European central bank to Euro-ize foreign economies. Contrast this to the US Treasury, which actually promotes dollarization in Latin America.

Sep 20, 2003
If the DR switches to American dollars then it ties itself to the dollars decline.
Considering the out of control spending, record budget deficits,trade deficits, and the Bush Administration's interest in bankrupting the US with costly wars, I cannot forsee the dollar recovering anytime soon, if ever again.

Perhaps it is better for the DR to maintain its own currency and convert its cash reserves into Euro's?

Why tie the Nation's fate to America's?

It seems many Latin American countries are moving on, without the US. Venezuela signing agyreements with China for oil sales and Chinese investments in industrial development. Argentina, Brazil, and Chile also signing agreements to sell raw materials and gain Chinese investment.

China has already showed interest in the DR's mineral resources.

The Euro has not been such a boon for the German economy. A few EU members have rejected the Euro and voted to keep their own currencies. (Denmark, Sweden, Great Britian) There are advantages in controlling your nation's own currency.

Perhaps it is better for the DR to maintain independence on this issue?

Just my two depreciated cents. :p

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think you are ALL correct--Dollarization or Euro-ization

Will not benefit the DR economy until the ?Government? decides to become completely honest and transparent.

We can discuss such an event as "Dollarization", etc. til the cows come home, but such discussion is fruitless in the near term given the propencity of "officialdom" to rape the economy and population with non-sensical projects designed to line their pockets and scam the population with lies and promises that are nothing but smokescreens.

Wake up and start demanding proper services of government and quit giving lip-service only to dreamers.

Texas Bill

Apr 26, 2002
Texas Bill said:
[Dollarization] Will not benefit the DR economy until the ?Government? decides to become completely honest and transparent.
Since the latter (how about more honest and transparent for starters?) will not occur in our lifetimes, the question really is what steps can be taken to insulate the economy as best as possible from an inherently corrupt political system.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I'm no economist, but I feel as if artificially inflating the peso against the dollar just to pay off foreign debt(which seems to be Fernandezs' MO) seems against commmon economic sense.
The US is going down the wrong road, building up huge deficits that will have to be paid by the middle class, thus creating an economy that only benefits the rich. I would not tie my economic future to the US if I were Fernandez. In the long run it will do more harm than good.
I would clean my own house first, clean up corruption and pay more attention to the haitian refugee problem than worry about the dollar.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Berzin said:
I'm no economist....................In the long run it will do more harm than good.

Ok - with the first I can sympathise, neither am I.

What makes you think he's doing this in the long run? It would make sense to do something like that for the short term wouldn't it?

Stay well,
Amy

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Berzin said:
I'm no economist, but I feel as if artificially inflating the peso against the dollar just to pay off foreign debt(which seems to be Fernandezs' MO) seems against commmon economic sense.
The US is going down the wrong road, building up huge deficits that will have to be paid by the middle class, thus creating an economy that only benefits the rich. I would not tie my economic future to the US if I were Fernandez. In the long run it will do more harm than good.
I would clean my own house first, clean up corruption and pay more attention to the haitian refugee problem than worry about the dollar.

I am not saying its good to build up huge deficits, but the doom-and-gloom about them ruining the US has been going around for 20 years and nothing has happened.