Surf Boards in Barahona

berry

Apr 20, 2005
I will be visiting the DR for the first time in July. We will be staying in Barahona. I was wondering if there is a surf shop in Barahona that rents surf boards? If not, is there one in Santo Domingo that would rent a board and a rack?

Thanks in advance!

berry

Apr 20, 2005
Still looking for Barahona or Santo Domingo Surf Shop info. Additionally, if anyone could recommend any fishing and scuba info for Barahona, that would be appreciated too. I keep reading about how great the fishing, diving and surfing is in this area, but there is little information on how to go about it unless you bring all your gear yourself. (Difficult to do when traveling with kids!)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
berry said:
Still looking for Barahona or Santo Domingo Surf Shop info. Additionally, if anyone could recommend any fishing and scuba info for Barahona, that would be appreciated too. I keep reading about how great the fishing, diving and surfing is in this area, but there is little information on how to go about it unless you bring all your gear yourself. (Difficult to do when traveling with kids!)

Barahona beaches can be dangerous. You need to receive info from someone who is very familiar with the beach. For surfing, recommend Playa Caribe on the south coast (Embassy Beach between Boca Chica and Juan Dolio) or Playa Encuentro in Puerto Plata (between Sosua and Cabarete). Playa Encuentro is the better of the two.

berry

Apr 20, 2005
Thanks for the reply! Our trip is pretty well mapped out with three days in Santo Domingo and Three Days in Barahona, so that is why I am asking specific questions about Barahona. Yes, I have read descriptions of the Southwest coast beaches that describe the rough water. I'm not looking for a place to learn to surf, but rather access to a board should the conditions be good. Several threads indicate some good seasonal surf breaks in the Barahona area, and I would rather rent a board there than bring my own since this isn't a surfing specific trip for me. There is only so much room in the van for the drive from SD to Barahona, and I would hate to lug a board all the way from home if the waves are flat or blown out.

Apr 26, 2002
I have never SEEN a surf board in Barahona, let alone a place to rent them. If you want to try to surf those beaches, you'll have to bring your own.

I hope I don't own stock in the life insurance company that covers you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why are people so bitter?
The guy is obviously an experienced surfer and understands the danger of surfing in uncharted waters. If you have no intelligent sources of information why not leave the thread alone.

Now that is off my chest, I suggest you get in touch with this group of surfers for a board!

http://www.asociaciondesurfingdepuertoplata.com/

Contacts:
Ricardo Ripoll 809-805-2436 or aspp2@hotmail.com
Phil Lehman 809-974-3675, 5713570 or philliplehman@mac.com
Mick Gough 809-330-6566 or mickey.gough@internet.net.do

berry

Apr 20, 2005
I'm not sure how to link to other threads, but doing a search for key words "Barahona" and "Surf" yields at least the following links that lead me to believe that there is some surfing in Barahona. (Specifically, Bahoruco)

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=159891&postcount=2
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=88964&postcount=5
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=52798&postcount=2
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27136&postcount=2

No, I'm not some kind of daredeveil, but I do enjoy surfing and if it is right at my back door while I'm on vacation......

Apr 26, 2002
Don't get me wrong - I'm a long time advocate of Barahona tourism. I'm sure you'll love it - Baoruco, San Rafael, Los Patos - all of the beaches. I can't speak for the surfing, though, and I've never seen a surfboard there.

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
I'll ask

Berry,

I am going to Barahona tomorrow for the weekend, returning to the US next Tuesday. I haven't seen anybody surfing on those beaches, but Ill ask while I'm down there and let you know when I get back.

Jean

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
jeanmarie said:
Berry,

I am going to Barahona tomorrow for the weekend, returning to the US next Tuesday. I haven't seen anybody surfing on those beaches, but Ill ask while I'm down there and let you know when I get back.

Jean

Bahoruco is a nice break. Its near the Barcelo hotel in Barahona.
I dont know if there is any swell recently.
This map might be helpfull if you wanna look up other brakes in the south.
Good luck!

http://surfingdr.homestead.com/Surfmap.html

mozart

Jun 26, 2005
Surfing in Barahona

samiam said:
Bahoruco is a nice break. Its near the Barcelo hotel in Barahona.
I dont know if there is any swell recently.
This map might be helpfull if you wanna look up other brakes in the south.
Good luck!

http://surfingdr.homestead.com/Surfmap.html
Hello Everyone:
My husband is a surfer and we carted a long board all over the North Coast and to Samana last February. Only used it once in Encuentro.This time we're headed to Barahona with only boggie boards. We'll fill you in on the waves as we find them when we are there - late July-early August. From the maps, Barahuco looks the best.
Kathleen

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
No surfing beaches along the coast of Barahona, including Bahoruco (a small fishing village with no more than about 100 rustic houses), where the beach looks great, but at an altitude of less than 500 feet, the beautiful white 'sand' turns into coarse gravel; and the 'undertoad' (a dangerous marine animal that produces very strong current) makes the beach not apt for swimming. On the other side of Barahona peninsula, all down the west coast from Pedernales to Bah?a de Las Aguilas, you have breathtaking beaches, howver not adequate for surfing...

mozart

Jun 26, 2005
Surfing Barahona

Mirador said:
No surfing beaches along the coast of Barahona, including Bahoruco (a small fishing village with no more than about 100 rustic houses), where the beach looks great, but at an altitude of less than 500 feet, the beautiful white 'sand' turns into coarse gravel; and the 'undertoad' (a dangerous marine animal that produces very strong current) makes the beach not apt for swimming. On the other side of Barahona peninsula, all down the west coast from Pedernales to Bah?a de Las Aguilas, you have breathtaking beaches, howver not adequate for surfing...

I'm confused: Then why does Samian say Bahoruco is a nice break?
Mozart

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Nothing to be confused about. Samian has never surfed in Bahoruco, and most probably hasn't even been there. Suggestion? go check out the place for yourself. The trip getting there is breathtaking. Don't leave your camera behind.

tnagz

Apr 28, 2003
Surf Report?

Barahona,

Too bad you won't be there this week. Surf has got to be up with TS Dennis skirting the coast so close. If you prayed to the surf god, you asked for the wrong week. ;) Hope you find a surf shop. My wife and I will be heading down on Sunday for a week of vacation. Hope you have a great vacation.

hel_davo

Jul 3, 2005
I lived in Barahona for two months and I can pretty much assure you that there is no surf rental place. Never really noticed that good surf, but I didnt check out all the beaches. Head west though to San Rafael and Paraiso. When I was there there was a hurricane on the east coast, sending huge dumpy messy surf, but it may be good some days.
Have fun.
I dont know if youve been to barahona before but dont be dissapointed by it, the town is not that special, but everywhere surrounding it is incredible.

mozart

Jun 26, 2005
Surf Barahona

tnagz said:
Barahona,

Too bad you won't be there this week. Surf has got to be up with TS Dennis skirting the coast so close. If you prayed to the surf god, you asked for the wrong week. ;) Hope you find a surf shop. My wife and I will be heading down on Sunday for a week of vacation. Hope you have a great vacation.
Thanks. I also pray to the surf God for my husband - I plan to have a great time regardless of what happens. Thanks.
Kathy

berry

Apr 20, 2005
Barahona Surf Description

I just retuned home from Barahona early this morning. I will post a full trip report later. I was only there for three days but we stayed at the Casa Bonita just up-hill and on the mountain side of the highway above the bahoruco break. I did not bring rent or borrow any boards as our group had too much planned for me to be able to surf any. When we arrived Saturday Evening we walked down to the beach. The beach is made of smooth round rocks and there is a deposit of small pebbles barely bigger than sand (Suitable for my kids to play with sand toys) at the high tide line. We laid towels over the stones and were fine. Sandals or Water-shoes work well, and should be worn as broken glass is common. There are several fishing huts on the beach (Dogs, pigs, chickens etc.) and many locals collect white stones there to sell for patio pavers. It's not particularly attractive if you are not there to surf. There are other beaches that are more fun to hang out on. A river flows into the ocean right there and that is where the surf break is. It broke both left and right and was about 4' while I was there and no one was surfing, but a friend in Santo Domingo said the week before it was pumping and at one point 40 people were out. It was pretty inconsistent but still surfable for some short rides. I'm not sure a long board would be the best choice. Body boards or body surfing would be great, but don't get slammed on the bottom. My wife and I got in (I was bare foot, my wife had sport sandals and I was barefoot) and swam a little further west of the surf break for a little bit. You have to time the waves and swim out between the sets, so anyone comfortable swimming in surf will be fine if conditions are similar to those we had. The water is very warm and the occassional cool water current from the river is nice. The bottom drops quick and the rocks at the bottom get bigger, but are still smooth. I think the gravel deposited by the river is what makes the surf break work, as it must be a little shallower there in order for the waves to break a little further from shore. There was a lot of leaf and plant debris in the water where we swam. I had goggles on but could not see two feet. Later on from the hotel, we could see this debris was only in certain areas and had we got in a little further away, it would have been clear. In short, I don't know if I would call it a "surf destination" as I know there are better waves out there, but if you want to see an un-spoiled Dominican Republic, and get some surfing in; Barahona will show it to you. I'll try to give a full report of our whole trip in a few days.