Is prostitution legal???

A

Adam

I heard prostitution was legal in DR if so how is it regulated??? Can a resort have prostitution?

S

scaramooch

Adam , every time I have posted answer to a querry such as your on this board, I have been deleted , if you post the same question on WWW.travel.to/dr I will answer your question in detail as so will a lot others. Such riskey questions and answers are not welcome on this hipocrital board.

S

Sara

Re: To Scaramooch

If you find this BB objectionable and not politically correct (that is by your standards) then why bother dropping by? This is by far the most informative BB for the Dominican Republic. DR1 does a superb job and goes far and beyond their scope of responsibility to research and answer inquiries. Keep the bickering and complaining alive if you wish but do it off the BB and via private e-mails. Let this "space" here be used for bonafide inquiries and not bellyaching!

S

scaramooch

Sara, your "bonafide inquiries" is just my point. Adam wanted a ligitimate question answered. It dealt with prostitution. He deserves an answer, or do you think just the cheesy questions on resorts are the only ligitimate querries a tourist might ask? Isn,t this board have themselves billed as the only "comprehensive imformative board on the DR? Why be hipocrital, I have been deleted on this board for merely answering querries to such questions. DR1 wants you to be believe that the DR is Utopia and the Shan-Grila tourist spot of the world , where there is no down side or negative side of the place, Potential tourist deserve their inquiries answered by any contributors of their expereince on the subject they are asking. Sara don,t try to sweep under what is all part of life, I was nice enough to guide him to the other board rather then been objectED to my answer as it is abvious it offended you that I even answered his querry, if you are Dominican you know very well that the "oldest profesion" is ingrained and its part of life in the DR as in any other place, so take a reality check. Have a nice day. SCARAMOOCH

T

thomas

My understanding is that prostitution is illegal but tolerated. Every once in a while the police sweep up an area either because too many girls are starting to accumulate or one of the girls got greedy. It is also not outside the realm of possibilities that the police sweep up a couple girls for personal gratification. Having spent a few months in the DR over the summer, it occured to me that whenever I saw girls get busted on Friday, they were back on the street Monday.

S

Sara

The nature of the original inquiry was in no way objectionable. What was objectionable was your rude comments about the integrity of the DR1 bulletin board! Think it is you who may need a reality check!

D

DR One

Prostitution is not legal in the DR

We spoke to Mercedes Lora, legal counsel at the Ministry of Women, Tel. 809 685-3755, who told us that prostitution is not legal nor prohibited in the Dominican Republic. She pointed out that it is "tolerated." She says that this applies to adult women, and that prostitution of minors (you are a minor until your 18th birthday in the DR) is penalized by Law 14-94. She said that women may be arrested for acts considered contrary to public morals, though.

Regarding on how it is regulated, it is not. We were told there used to be a Sanitary Registry, but that this is not being applied.

Most resorts try to reduce prostitution to a minimum. One way this is done is by restricting admission to the hotel of non-paying guests.

M

Matt

Re: Acts contrary to public morality - to DR1

Isn't anything not prohibited by law, "legal" by definition? After all, it is the prohibited activities that the law outlines. It would not be practical to list the legal ones.

I'm disturbed by " ? can be arrested for acts contrary to public morals". What is that supposed to mean? Who has the right to determine what is "contrary to public morals" and is it written that acts "contrary to public morals" are crimes? What is the penalty for acting "contrary to public morals"? Are the public morals that one cannot act contrary too, written somewhere or is it totally up to some particular officials opinion?

Can you please ask your legal advisor to clarify this?

C

Clarence Darrow

I believe he was just stating what is well known and accepted. Rob and Dolores seem quite content to have a moderated board and let us argue on the other, which is where you are headed.