Ihow safe is DR, compared to the us laws

A

Adam

I"m thinking about moving to DR, but one reason i wanted to moved is the stupid laws the US has about everthing from the seat belt laws to not being able to swim in your own pool at certain hours. Is it safe in DR, are the laws tougher, is the goverment and the criminal system on the up and up. How does the gov. treat Americans that get into trouble over there. Thanks

J

Jskr1

The Dominican Republic is still for the most part a 3rd world country. The Laws and the Law protect First Dominicans with money then Dominicans then forigners with money. The Law for the most part is what the local police decide to inforce.

Y

Yuri

You should live in Russia. The "Law" is first for Government Officials, then foriegn investors, then tourists, and turn around laws for citizens

Yuri

J

Joanne

My experience is that as long as you are a reasonable law abiding citizen you have no problems. If you are a theif, get into fights, are a drug user or seller you are asking for a hotel stay in a shared room with a bare light bulb, no food no toilet and an undetermined stay. Deportation follows.

T

thomas

I agree that the US is overburdened with a plethora of restrictive laws. The DR is more laid back. Sometimes it seems that laws are sporadically enforced (motorcycle helmets, etc) but overall, if you don't do drugs and stay out of trouble and mind your business - you shouldn't have a problem. I encountered a few people who spent some time in jail and it didn't sound inviting. Jail in the US is a country club compared to DR.