still here but should start this anyway

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My dad and I are leaving tomorrow but we've had quite a trip..everyone else in the house is sleeping but I am such a net junkie I am using my siesta time to read my mail and post on DR1. I am currently in Puerto Plata, right behind Cafecito where my Dominican hosts live. We've been here just a few days because my dad and I split this trip three ways. Santo Domingo, Las Matas de Santa Cruz, and Puerto Plata. We are going to take a bus back to the capital tomorrow to catch a late flight into Boston and then up tp Bangor. Neither of us should take Tuesday off so I am going to paint eyes on my eyelids and try and teach.

As I said we started in Santo Domingo. We arrived at 2 am on Tuesday because we took a nice bump in Boston. We lost half a day of our trip but we gained vouchers--so we will be back sooner rather than later. I explained to my Dad that Escott had this downpat and to grin and bear it. He later told me he was happy we did it even though we did have to wait around and we did "lose" luggage in the process. Our driver from the Europa was waitng for us even at that late hour. The Europa was a good deal in my opinion. Great breakfast, clean rooms, hot showers, and from there we walked all over the Zona Colonial.

My dad has never been to the DR, never been anywhere really, but he was trusting me to guide him and I tried to keept the Presidente flowing. It really is a chill country and I think he enjoyed it. Maybe he will post his own report.

We had dinner with Pib and Chirimoya on Tuesday night at Messon de Bari on Calle Hostos. I had the goat, my dad had cangrejo and Pib had eggplant and Chiri had lambi and I believe we all went away full and happy. I really delighted in seeing the "aunties" again. Smart, sophisticated, funny, down to earth. Did I mention funny? We had a nice meal, and a nice walk back to the Europa.

Wednesday we planned to go to D.D.'s farm and he sent someone to pick us up, which was very nice of him. Before we left we explored more of the zona colonial and had lunch at the Conde. We arrived and ordered the plate of the day a few minutes before a large tour came in. The food was good, the beer was cold, the tourists a little hard to take. I come from a touristy area but only a few months of the year and not in droves or tour buses. And this trip I was a tourist myself so I really shouldn't complain.

Santo Domingo overlal was relaxing. We were able to walk everywhere that seemed intersting to us. We didn't spend much money, just on eating and drinking. I bought an outfit because I didn't know when I would see my luggage again. Dominican jeans--the kind that I love because as I told Dawnwil I am in search of the perfect pair. Most women look for the Perfect Pair of Jeans--the ones that make you feel like you look like a million bucks. I know my holy grail exists in Latin America and I will buy a pair of jeans in every port until I find the perfect ones. Then buy about ten pairs.

But I digress.....

So D.D.'s man came and picked us up after lunch and we began our journey to the land of chivos...

I'll pick up the story later because we are headed to Sosua to the beach. And I love my Dominican host family so much, every minute counts. Mor eon them, later, too.

Besos, and as Escott says in his fabulous blog, hasta prpnto.

(BTW Escott is one of the best guys you'll meet, anywhere.)

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
MG Grand!

LOL-- that's so kewl about getting bumped Escott style. You were indeed on top of the situation, awesome the way DR1 works for the how to and best of everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know.

Also, bringing your Dad here was inspired-- I would never ever consider bringing my Dad on a trip here. I hope he will spend some time here one day.

One day maybe there'll be a moment to show you that little Style book wherein I discovered the rule: buy many of the 'perfect' fit of whatever and you'll always look your best. Heck, I guess you don't need the rule book, do you?

I'm glad we waited it out at Rocky's-- we thought you stood us up!! Although someone did mention, I believe it was Fireguy, that Dominican time thingy. hee hee.

Only problem with your visit, gal, was TOO SHORT.

D

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
MaineGirl said:
We had dinner with Pib and Chirimoya on Tuesday night at Messon de Bari on Calle Hostos. I had the goat, my dad had cangrejo and Pib had eggplant and Chiri had lambi and I believe we all went away full and happy. I really delighted in seeing the "aunties" again. Smart, sophisticated, funny, down to earth. Did I mention funny? We had a nice meal, and a nice walk back to the Europa.
I completely enjoyed seeing you again and meeting your dad - who by the way is too cool and young-looking to be your dad. I sincerely hope that you are back soon and that you take more time to spend here in Santo Domingo.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Las Matas de Santa Cruz

Hey, ladies :) Thanks for reading so far....

So D.D. send a nice fella to pick us up and we drove across the country to Las Matas de Santa Cruz...land of goats!

The farm, in care of D.D. and the lovely Jetta, was amazing. The whole Savid experience was unforgettable. I grew up on a farm myself, and my dad knows a lot about growing, and we sort of gaped and looked wide-eyed at the beauty, efficiency, and size of the place. I took many pictures and I will post them over on blogspot--link to follow. D.D. was a most gracious host, and I know he took time out of a super busy set of days to show us the place. And we enjoyed it so much.

I was fascinated by every aspect of the farm, but the coolest (of all the cools) was touring the port in Manzanillo, especially the boat (ship my dad keeps telling me). The Russian captain--I fell in love with him for about 15 minutes--big jolly toothy happy guy. Seeing the stevedores hustle and bustle and the boxes go in like pieces of a big puzzle. I was jealous of the bananas because they were on a boat, off to see the world :). We got the star treatment on the tour--again my hat off to D.D. and Jetta. Inspiring!

And you have never seen cuter kids than theirs...

After two days in Banana Paradise we left for Puerto Plata with gifts of melons and onions for our Dominican hosts...it rained and rained all the way there...and once we arrive the only person in the house was Dona Janna, all of 87 years old.

That will be part three....

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
MaineGirl said:
The Russian captain--I fell in love with him for about 15 minutes--big jolly toothy happy guy.
Luckily, for your mental sanity, you didn't expend more than a few hours there. Look what happened to me. :nervous:

I am green with envy. I haven't seen D.D. in a while.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
OK, last bit

So, we arrived in Puerto Plata at my host's house.

The Riveras are a class apart, in my book. I am in love with them. There is always singing in their house.

The two dogs are Boxers, Rubia and Feo, and believe, he is feo.

The grandmother, Janna, makes the dog food, the juice--sets the table, answers the phone, yelps at a moment's notice, goes into long reveries, of her childhood, or any old memory that catches her fancy. She rambles on and on, throwing in chunks of English leftover from a long-ago girlhood in Johannesburg.

My favorite person is Altagracia, since she is a counselor and a friend. She runs a school and her home quite nimbly, always singing.

Her sons are like my brothers.

We went to church, to the beach. We strolled in the main square. We went to the fort and to the Malecon. The sky was gorgeous that day--and I left my camera behind. One night I brought Haydn to Rocky's, with my dad. We saw Escott and Fireguy, Dawnwil, Rattus Rattus and Amy. The food was really good. The company sparkled :) Later we went to Playa Dorada and danced until about 1 am--me and Haydn, and my dad enjoyed the live music.

It was the homiest part of my visit, and I got to speak a lot of Spanish and have good talks with the Riveras. We got the truck stuck out in the middle of nowhere (by the water processing plant up in the hills) and so were forced to amble down through the hills as the sun set and stars came out. It was serene and fun at the same time.

A few years ago I was in Puerto Plata for a month and helped start the beginnings of a church. I remembered the plans, and took many pictures. Now the church is nearly complete. It is open, airy, full of beautiful glass windows, light colored walls and floors. The exterior is a deep salmon with brick accents. It will be a lovely church when it is all done. It seemed hard to believe that I was there when the first blocks were laid.

The very last morning we went to Altagracia's school. Currently about 400 plus students. It was noisy and chaotic--I had a headache shortly. I am used to order as a teacher and found it very difficult to do my presentation to the freshman English class. Were they rude? Probably not by their cultural standards. In all fairness the regular teacher was absent and they were anticipating a free day. Not at all interested in doing any work for me! If only they knew that words have wings!

Maine was in the 60's today and really nice. I miss the Riveras--they want to come and visit this summer. Can you imagine! I smile just thinking about it!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
These have been a few of the best posts I've had the pleasure of reading on DR1. I can really feel the love. :glasses: You make me long even more for my home-away-from-home. August can't get here fast enough! Thanks!