Spanish Lessons in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
I have already done a search on this topic however many of the threads are out of date and the phone numbers are no longer in service.

Can anyone recommend and good tutor/school where I can attend spanish lessons in Puerto Plata and how much I can expect to pay?

I believe that there are some good classes in Sosua however I would prefer to study in PP if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help
Daydream.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
A good teacher in Cabarete

Efren Gonzalez, the manager of Arco Iris Hotel used to teach spanish. He is spanish but has been living in DR for several years so he knows very well how we dominicans speak. He doesn't teach officially at these days but maybe he can make an exception. He speaks also french and italian, so you can talk to him on any of these languages.

If you want to try and Cabarete is not too far you can call him at 809-571-0751.

Good luck!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
In Puerto Plata

I think the key question to the thread is IN PUERTO PLATA

Cabarete is quite a ways away. AND the highway is such that I personally would not drive it at night. SO, daydream, I have the same issue. I've been looking for a good Spanish teacher for many months now.

I too would appreaciate info. Maybe we can form a group for classes! IT's always easier to learn when you have someone to practice with!

I am looking to learn correct spanish, I do not want to learn slang, I can pick that up on the streets.

Anyone have any ideas??? I've been to the 2 "language schools" here already. I think our best bet is going to be someone independent...

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
planner said:
I think the key question to the thread is IN PUERTO PLATA

Cabarete is quite a ways away. AND the highway is such that I personally would not drive it at night. SO, daydream, I have the same issue. I've been looking for a good Spanish teacher for many months now.

I too would appreaciate info. Maybe we can form a group for classes! IT's always easier to learn when you have someone to practice with!

I am looking to learn correct spanish, I do not want to learn slang, I can pick that up on the streets.

Anyone have any ideas??? I've been to the 2 "language schools" here already. I think our best bet is going to be someone independent...

Hi Planner

I have searched without success to find a school that teaches spanish in Puerto Plata - you mention that you have been to two language schools - were they in PP? What was your experience?

I have decided to travel to Sosua to the IIC - Instituto Intercultural del Caribe school to take classes. I will be living in Puerto Plata and will travel to Sosua each day for morning classes with a friend of mine......you are more than welcome to join us! We will be starting at the end of July for a min of 1 month.

Check out their website http://www.spanish-language.org/iic_sosua.htm

Daydream.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I've been to the schools in Puerto Plata to check them out. NOt overly impressed!

As for going to Sosua every morning - can't do it. I work more than full time and cannot take that kind of time out.

However, I have emailed the school to ask if a teacher will come here to do either private or small groups for us. I"ll keep you posted on any response I receive.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There are several teachers available for private lessons.
I know a few personally, and also notes are up at for example Supermercado Tropical.
One really good teacher is a man from Europe, who have lived here 15 years.

Another good teacher, who works half time in literature at Alic School, and half time teaching Spanish by giving private lessons, is also available.

Both teach either Spanish/Spanish or English/Spanish as prefered.

At Ripoll there are also several notes on their board up for private lessons.

This is NOT a big problem in Puerto Plata to find a good teacher for private lessons.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi Carina

Would you be able to give me the details of your one of your friends who give private lessons teaching spanish/english. Ideally we would like to learn in PP and save ourselves the daily commute to Sosua.

Any idea on costs?

Many thanks
Daydream.

carina said:
There are several teachers available for private lessons.
I know a few personally, and also notes are up at for example Supermercado Tropical.
One really good teacher is a man from Europe, who have lived here 15 years.

Another good teacher, who works half time in literature at Alic School, and half time teaching Spanish by giving private lessons, is also available.

Both teach either Spanish/Spanish or English/Spanish as prefered.

At Ripoll there are also several notes on their board up for private lessons.

This is NOT a big problem in Puerto Plata to find a good teacher for private lessons.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
daydream said:
Hi Carina

Would you be able to give me the details of your one of your friends who give private lessons teaching spanish/english. Ideally we would like to learn in PP and save ourselves the daily commute to Sosua.

Any idea on costs?

Many thanks
Daydream.

No problems, just PM me when you have arrived and you can meet with either one of them.

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
same please

carina said:
No problems, just PM me when you have arrived and you can meet with either one of them.
Hi, i wil be staying in POP in october - april and would also like private spanish lessons, i have put another post in spanish 101 as i didn't know this one
existed, but im looking for the same thing as everyone else.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Schools might not be the answer.

Sounds like you are motivated. You might consider buying Rosetta Stone or Barron's Mastering Spanish 1 and 2. These are audio programs with an emphasis on teaching the spoken language. I just ordered Barron's 2 on Amazon--yes I understand the difficulties of getting delivery to the DR.

I also understand your desire for a group setting--I just spent a lot of money going to a university based course in New York State for an immersion program. It had a good reputation, but the reality was not so good and I got a refund and left.

The key to language learning, in my opinion, is the mastery of the rhythms and structure. This can only be done with intense drilling and repetition--which can be done efficiently with tapes and guided, structured lessons. That's what you will find in the above published resources.

The NY course turned out to be some very well-intentioned teachers dwelling on grammar lessons from a text book and some silly games that left us all mostly in silence. By taking charge of your own learning and having the ability to repeat at your own pace and to "study the books' once the grammar and structure reveals itself to you through the drills on the tapes, you will create the muscle memory that is the essence of language learning. It is just like grooving a golf shot or a baseball swing.

Perfect practice makes perfect. Only tapes can allow for enough perfect practice. Yes, DR Spanish has its own idiosyncracies, to say the least. But you can pick that up via local tv and the usual social situations.

Frankly, I am done with looking for schools and will teach myself. You might have better results that way as well.

Good luck.

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
great advice

abe said:
Sounds like you are motivated. You might consider buying Rosetta Stone or Barron's Mastering Spanish 1 and 2. These are audio programs with an emphasis on teaching the spoken language. I just ordered Barron's 2 on Amazon--yes I understand the difficulties of getting delivery to the DR.

I also understand your desire for a group setting--I just spent a lot of money going to a university based course in New York State for an immersion program. It had a good reputation, but the reality was not so good and I got a refund and left.

The key to language learning, in my opinion, is the mastery of the rhythms and structure. This can only be done with intense drilling and repetition--which can be done efficiently with tapes and guided, structured lessons. That's what you will find in the above published resources.

The NY course turned out to be some very well-intentioned teachers dwelling on grammar lessons from a text book and some silly games that left us all mostly in silence. By taking charge of your own learning and having the ability to repeat at your own pace and to "study the books' once the grammar and structure reveals itself to you through the drills on the tapes, you will create the muscle memory that is the essence of language learning. It is just like grooving a golf shot or a baseball swing.

Perfect practice makes perfect. Only tapes can allow for enough perfect practice. Yes, DR Spanish has its own idiosyncracies, to say the least. But you can pick that up via local tv and the usual social situations.

Frankly, I am done with looking for schools and will teach myself. You might have better results that way as well.

Good luck.

Hi, thanx thats great advice, i agree with the school, i studied spanish for 5 years at school and have honestly learnt nothing! apart from the basics that most people know. They concentrated on grammar too much and as like u played silly games and stuff. I have got some spanish CD's from a language school, and they have helped, and have some books to study and everything, but i was looking for someone who is dominican i guess who could just aid my learning once i am in puerto plata.

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
lol ok

TimInDR said:
i'm here/there now. will be here/there for a couple years.

;)

ha ok, well i'll be heading over around october 12th-ish 05 so we could set something up then. I'll be staying in puerto plata.

Status
Not open for further replies.