Many dominicans in Canada?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey, just wondering if many Dominicans choose to move to Canada?
I don't see much of the afro-carribean community here.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I've heard the biggest population is in Montreal. There's a large community in Calgary and the Toronto area is growing too.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
How about on the prairies?

Any in Manitoba? Wide variety of cultures here, maybe more or less than the rest of the country-not sure. Trying to connect with some here.
Thnks

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
jrf said:
Hey, just wondering if many Dominicans choose to move to Canada?

Haven't been in this site long, have you? ;) I'm quite sure most would choose to move if our government would let them.

I only know of about 50 Dominicans in Calgary - in a city of 1,000,000, that's not too many. The biggest populations I know of are in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City, I believe in that order. I don't recall of hearing any in the Winnipeg area - too damn cold for them! - but I knew of a couple in Regina. Hope this helps. My husband is in Calgary if you're ever out this way.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Nope, not too long...

trina said:
Haven't been in this site long, have you? ;) I'm quite sure most would choose to move if our government would let them.

I only know of about 50 Dominicans in Calgary - in a city of 1,000,000, that's not too many. The biggest populations I know of are in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City, I believe in that order. I don't recall of hearing any in the Winnipeg area - too damn cold for them! - but I knew of a couple in Regina. Hope this helps. My husband is in Calgary if you're ever out this way.

Thanks for the invite. We have quite a few immigrants from Africa, Jamaica, lots from Trinidad. Not sure why I posted the question anyway.
Tired that night I guess.
Too damn cold is right! It snowed here this morning-not much-but still-it stinks.

starzephyr1

Apr 27, 2005
i know many in montreal

Hi,
My mother lives in Montreal and last summer they had a Dominican parade and I met many Dominicans. The majority come from Moca I 've heard and I also met some that lived in NY.