Riu resorts in POP closing?

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
I have a reservation to stay at one of the Riu resorts in Puerto Plata the 1st week of May. I just heard a rumor that they may be closing the 3 resorts in the near future. Admittedly, this rumor may be just that..an unsubstantiated rumor, but I thought I would post on here to see if anyone else heard anything. Should I be worried and try find a new hotel? Or just be happy and enjoy my vacation?

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2002
I can't imagine that to be true at all - they are very popular hotels. First week of May is next week, so I would imagine that if the hotels were closing your travel agent would have let you know by now. Have you talked to them??

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Shelley said:
I have a reservation to stay at one of the Riu resorts in Puerto Plata the 1st week of May. I just heard a rumor that they may be closing the 3 resorts in the near future. Admittedly, this rumor may be just that..an unsubstantiated rumor, but I thought I would post on here to see if anyone else heard anything. Should I be worried and try find a new hotel? Or just be happy and enjoy my vacation?

Thanks!

The 1st. week of May is the down time for us here and I have seen Hotels close for the Month of May to renovate but open again for the British Invasion by mid June.

Gringo

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
I booked online

I would think they wouldn't accept any bookings either but I booked online last month. Maybe the site I booked through was not aware. I have emailed them as well. Not sure if that makes a difference.

chica

Feb 9, 2004
I read that the sickness is still in Riu's in POP,but not that they gonna close.
Sunquest and Thomas Cook dont send people to the riu's till May th 15

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Shelley said:
I would think they wouldn't accept any bookings either but I booked online last month. Maybe the site I booked through was not aware. I have emailed them as well. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Why not call the resort and ask?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Local belief is that they should close for a few days and do a major dis-infection of the whole complex, since the bug seems to have a gestation time of several days and is highly contagious. Some cruise ships who have been bothered by similar bugs have gotten rid of it this way but its easier for them to do this since they have a new set of passengers every cruise.

disciplemckie

Feb 16, 2004
www.dovemissions.com
I don't know if this is too late a report, but we were in POP in the end of March from Minnesota. In February, there was a couple of articles in the paper on the RUI resorts and the dozens of Minn. people staying there that had contracted the virus. They said the resorts were closed and guests rerouted that had booked through TransGlobal. We thought all had cleared up by the end of March, but on our flight home, all of the people who had stayed at the resorts talked about being deathly ill, some even hospitalized while they were there. Quite ride home with some moaning and puking on the plane. Hope this helps. Any one know if it is finally safe?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Last Sunday I spoke to the Riu North American Reservations Centre and they said that the Rius POP were open and had no plans to close.

Riu has a North American Reservations Call Centre in Mexico which may be contacted Toll-free directly at:

Canada 1-866-845-3765

or

USA 1-888-666-8816

English-speaking Reps are available from approx. 8:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. EDT daily (times are from memory and may not be accurate).

Gregg