Difference between alumno y estudiante?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I came a new word in Spanish class

"alumno"

estudiante is easier to remember but I wondered what the difference was.

according to my dictionary

alumno is someone studying in a collage or university and estudiante is a student/pupil of?

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:

"alumnio"

alumnio is someone studying in a collage or university and estudiante is a student/pupil of?

Any thoughts on this?

Do you mean "alumno"?
It is used in the same context as alumnus. It can be used interchangeably with estudiante.

Nov 5, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:

"alumno"

alumno is someone studying in a collage or university and estudiante is a student/pupil of?

Any thoughts on this?

When I took my 3 Spanish classes we learned the word alumno for student as well.

I don't know for sure...but I assume they are basically interchangable..like student and pupil...or something like that...

Taking a bit of an "educated" guess there....;)

Nov 5, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
I thought an alumnus is a person who graduated from an institution of higher learning

I believe that word is something like "allumni" in English.

But my teach taught us in my Spanish lesson "alumno" for student...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I am correct

PeachezNcream84 said:
I believe that word is something like "allumni" in English.

But my teach taught us in my Spanish lesson "alumno" for student...

Alumnus: a person who has received a degree from a school (high school or college or university)

Alumni: A male graduate or former student of a school, college, or university.

Please note: Alumnus and alumna both come from Latin and preserve Latin plurals. Alumnus is a masculine noun whose plural is alumni, and alumna is a feminine noun whose plural is alumnae. Coeducational institutions usually use alumni for graduates of both sexes. But those who object to masculine forms in such cases may prefer the phrase alumni and alumnae or the form alumnae/i, which is the choice of many women's colleges that have begun to admit men.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I've heard them both used for student.
I think alumno was a little more sophisticated.
mkohn

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
In Spanish both alumno and estudiante are used. They mean the same in Spanish: students. Language and meaning evolve and a word can have more than one meaning. In today's Spanish, alumno is used interchangeably with estudiante: A teacher may refer to his/her students as mis alumnos.

alumno, na
m. y f. Disc?pulo respecto de su maestro, de la materia que est? aprendiendo o de la escuela, clase, colegio o universidad donde estudia: tiene muchos alumnos; alumno de f?sica; alumno universitario.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
juancarlos said:
In Spanish both alumno and estudiante are used. They mean the same in Spanish: students. Language and meaning evolve and a word can have more than one meaning. In today's Spanish, alumno is used interchangeably with estudiante: A teacher may refer to his/her students as mis alumnos.

alumno, na
m. y f. Disc?pulo respecto de su maestro, de la materia que est? aprendiendo o de la escuela, clase, colegio o universidad donde estudia: tiene muchos alumnos; alumno de f?sica; alumno universitario.
What he said. Plus remember that to use alumno(a) you must tie the student to his academic institution or teacher, you can not be just an alumno, you have to be an alumno of somebody or some institution. Estudiante carries no such burden. For example you can say that your occupation is estudiante (it still says so in my cedula by the way), but not alumno, since that word can only be used in the context I mentioned above.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
That's right. For example: Los alumnos de la profesora Rodriguez, or

Los alumnos de la escuela Jose Marti.

project9

May 29, 2004
Alumno is the one who takes classes in a classroom (aula) and student is the one who studies no matter where. I remember a math teacher i had in highschool who always stressed the difference between the two, he was always saying that we should be students, not just alumnos.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I agree with Pib & others from what I have learned. But keep in mind this is not the way it is everywhere, in Spain these two words are used differently than what people are describing here.

But I guess you could say that "alumno" is used when in English you would say a "student of" like I am a student of literature, student of Prof. Pib, student at Middlebury College, etc. Whereas estudiante is more general, without those modifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.