Correr- the teen runs el muchacho corre
Comer- the man eats el hombre come
Cargar- the father carries the boy el pap? carga al ni?o
Caminar- the soldier walks el soldado camina
Empujar- the men push each other los hombres se empujan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not the best examples I'm afraid

Unless you have already reviewed the -ar verbs like amar and hablar, I have to question the uses of the above.

Ver: veo ves ve vemos veis ven is not regular feeling..

amo, amas, ama, amamos, amais, aman is regular.

Also the use of cargar is a bit difficult since it implies the use of the "u" after the "g" in some instances.

cargu? for instance

And it is difficult to pronounce since it is so close to the verb for "defecate""

:p:p:p

HB :p

Edit: But I guess you have to start someplace. The biggest problem is that the easiest verb in spanish has 48 different forms and the toughtest verb in English has just 5!!

Present
-o
-as
-a
-amos
-ais
-an

imperfect An indeterminent past. I talked to her yesterday = Hablaba con ella ayer

-aba
-abas
-aba
-abamos
-abais
-aban

past A definate past: I talked to her at five = Habl? con ella a las cinco

-?
-astes
-?
-amos
-eis (?? never use it don't remember it!! for shame)
-aron

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Verb: Ver (to see/look)

Present---------Past------------Future
Presente--------Pasado---------Futuro

Yo-veo---------vi---------------ver?
T? ? ves--------viste------------ver?s
El ? ve-----------vio-------------ver?
Nosotras-vemos----vimos---------veremos
Nosotras
Ellos-ven-----------vieron---------ver?n
Ellas

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Verb: Correr (to run)

Present____________Past____________Future
Presente___________Pasado__________Futuro

Yo--corro_____________corr?__________correr?
Tu- corres____________corriste________correr?s
El- corre______________corri?__________correr?
Nosotros- corremos_____corrimos________correremos
Nosotras-
Ellos- corren___________corrieron________correr?n
Ellas

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Verb Comer ( to eat)

Present___________Past____________Future
Presente____________Pasado_________Futuro

Yo ? como____________com?____________comer?
Tu ? comes___________comiste__________comer?s
El - come_____________comi?___________comer?
Nosotros- comemos_____cominos__________comeremos
Nosotras ?
Ellos- comen___________comieron__________comer?n
Ellas-

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ok, we'll do away with the Vosotros person

I never use it anyway.

I think Anna, that your message will be clearer if you can teach the verb stems + the endings for the different tenses

corr + o
+es
+e
+emos
+en

IMP

For -er and -ir verbs

stem + ?a
+?as
+?a
+iamos
+?an

Past

Stem + ?
+ iste
+i?
+imos
+ieron ( too many "r"s to get your tongue around...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thank you Luis.

I'm really not trying to teach. I'm posting as I learn. Looks like there's so much to learn.

Una cerveza por favor. :laugh:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh I am sure you are being taught right

There are whole lists of regular and itregular verbs.

I think maybe for adults that do not have the "ear" for language anymore, some training of accents is a good lesson.

For example, few English speakers can get their tongues around the "RR" sournd To them F E R R O C A R R I L is the same as FEROCARIL, but is sounds horrid.

However, in English we do have the words "bottle" and "cattle" ...it so happens that the "TT" sound of bottle or CATTLE (unless you are a guy from Joisey or Bruklin that says Bot-ul and bat - ul) is the same as the "rr" sound of carro in Spanish!!

Try it and you will see. The trill only comes with practice. CORRE !

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Besides funning you a bit,

This is very good for the readers.

once they get the hang of it, it is so cool.

And the great advantage of Spanish is that even poorly spoken, it can be understood. The basics at least. And Dominicans, like Japanese and Chinese and many other cultures, don't give a hoot!. They love it when a person tries to get a message across.

I once heard a 15 year resident tell a clerk: "Hey Jos?, get me de lata of Campbell's Chicken soup" And she got it!!

HB:p

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Verbs. What every first year student in my courses must endure.

Try www.conjuguemos.com. Register as a student with a valid email. Then you can practice verb drills to your heart's content.

There are regular patterns and irregular patterns.

Ever heard of a boot verb? When you conjugate a verb like preferir (stem-changing) using a graphic organizing chart, the forms of the stem that change are shaped like a boot. So funny to see boots drawn on test days, but it helps them remember.

Lots of rote and then lots of exposure. That is why my second year kids read the literature. It's exciting to "get" it.

I got lots of tricks up my sleeve fer learnin'....

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
MoReNiTa GuApA said:
to learn the conjugation of verbs or is it just Practice practice practice?

I recommend this book - The Red Pocket Book of Spanish Verbs : 333 Fully Conjugated Verbs by Ronni L Gordon, and David M Stillman

Cheap, small - pocket sized, has 333 verbs (oddly enough) and notes the top 30 verbs many of which are irregular and all of which yes, you memorize. There is also a not too overwhelming discussion of the tenses and how to form them.

For the top 30 there is an extra page of examples showing their usage.

And among all the advice above remember the stem+ ending is not identical for ar vs. er/ir verbs, though close.

I would say learn these forms:

Present,

Preterit and Imperfect (though really you can get away with just imperfect and the endings are the easiest to remember), your abas and aba's.

Future (also very easy but you can use ir+infinite, e.g. voy a comer , va a correr, etc., and not learn future at all), and

Subjunctive - when you express desire or you ever need to say I need you to do something, that's Subjunctive and very very necessary. (Note as daunting as it sounds Subjunctive is the same for present tense but with the endings switched around - the ar ending for er/ir verbs - e.g.: comas vs. comes for tu, and that's the basic rule. Learn Present, do it backwards, you have Subjunctive.

You will find for a few compound tenses they are easier to remember that you'd think, e.g. he hablado, for I have spoken, has comido you have eaten, etc., since the past participle is so easy to make (ado or ido, for ar or er/ir) and that's it.

The little red book is only $7 at Amazon.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
ricktoronto said:
I recommend this book - The Red Pocket Book of Spanish Verbs : 333 Fully Conjugated Verbs by Ronni L Gordon, and David M Stillman

Cheap, small - pocket sized, has 333 verbs (oddly enough) and notes the top 30 verbs many of which are irregular and all of which yes, you memorize. There is also a not too overwhelming discussion of the tenses and how to form them.

For the top 30 there is an extra page of examples showing their usage.
Thanks I will look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.