Need translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
My novia is having a birthday soon and she wants a "cabela de oro" and a "hareta de oro" I am probably spelling this wrong. Is this a gold-chain and a gold bracelet? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Looks like 'diamonds are a girl's best friends' in the DR too. ;)
BTW how does this saying go in Spanish/Dominican?

I think it is 'arete' for earring and 'cadena' for chain.

Bartolomeo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
She wants

Gold
earrings for pierced ears and a nice gold chain...

If it's 12 or 14 carat that's more than good enought...K Mart, Wal-Mart....sort of stuff.

HB :D

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
thanks for replies

I will now go to the pawn shop and Hock my gold chain and ring, so that I may buy my beautiful novia her gold chain and earings :cry: :cry:

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Gold
earrings for pierced ears and a nice gold chain...

If it's 12 or 14 carat that's more than good enought...K Mart, Wal-Mart....sort of stuff.

HB :D

I hope that's not where you're shopping for Mrs. Hillbilly, HB! ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bugsey, for shame!

Mrs. HB does not use jewelry. Besides the stuff she inherited from her mother was stolen by a little girl we were "harboring"...She took it without permission to "show off" and the people she was showing off for stole it all. Really beautiful stuff...and she would never admit it since she wasn't supposed to have taken it, but she came home all bruised and sid she had fallen down. A teacher saw the whole thiing and to this day she denies she took the stuff. She and her sisters are back in the poverty they came from......fool me once....

But Mrs. HB only uses her wedding band. There are occasions when she will use stuff my mother gave her, like a charm bracelet with things from all over the world, and every country I have ever been to...but that is very seldom.

One of the great things about the woman is that she would rather have the latest Mary Higgins Clark book than a gold chain. The only exception is little gold studs for her ears. She is always losing them. IF I had a gold ear stud factory I could not keep the woman in earrings!!...

HB :p:p

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
One more reason you are a lucky guy. It's true gifts from the heart are more important. An ex (who didn't have a lot of money) gave me a very simple silver chain because I had mentioned I wanted one and I actually wearing it right now! It is one of my favorite gifts because it was so thoughtful, but it didn't cost a lot. He was Dominican, so that keeps this applicable to DR1.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I don't know if you are currently in the DR, but I cannot stress the value of a "compra venta" enough"!!! I am only familiar with compra ventas in Puerto Plata but they helped me save a LOT of money (at least 50% of what I would have paid by North American standards). Dominicans are NOT hung up on whether something is "new" or not and I would encourage you to first try that option for what you are looking for. My favorite in POP is "Compra Venta Antonio" which is near the Caribe Tours Bus Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.