Visa Question.

A BROWN SMILE

Dec 25, 2004
I just wanted to know if anyone knew for filing visa papers to bring my dominican love to the states. Would it be better to marry in Dr and file paperwork or better to just file a fiancee visa to bring her here? thanks people!

maritabelleza

Feb 20, 2005
It is easier to get married in DR, then have a lawyer file the papers for you.

A BROWN SMILE said:
I just wanted to know if anyone knew for filing visa papers to bring my dominican love to the states. Would it be better to marry in Dr and file paperwork or better to just file a fiancee visa to bring her here? thanks people!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A BROWN SMILE said:

If you do a search of the archived threads, you will immediately see that getting a visa to bring a boy friend to the US is practically impossible unless there is clear evidence that he has good reasons to return at the end of the visit.

If he has a very good job or profession, has assets in the Dominican Republic, and has other reasons to return, then you may be lucky and get him a visitors' visa for a specific period of time.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
The work is the same but......

A BROWN SMILE said:

The outcome is different depending on what your goal is. If speed is your goal, then filing a K-1 fiance visa is faster, however, your interview at the consulate will be brutal, more so than if you were married. After your marriage you will have to apply for work authorization and also adjust status, which involves another interview, and it doesn't happen often, but if things don't go right when adjusting status, your spouse can be made to leave the country until things get sorted out, or worse if there is a problem it could be years before your loved one can get back in the country.

Getting married will be longer, and you must be careful to have a marriage that is legal in the US, but the interview should be easier, and your life will be much much easier after the visa is issued if you go the CR-1 or IR-1 route. When your spouse enters the US on a CR-1 or IR-1, he or she will recieve a work autorization right away, and will get his or her green card in a few weeks. You can also inform the National Visa Center that you would like a social security number to be issued when the visa is approved. You still have to adjust status after you are in the US for 2 years, but you will have done most of the work ahead of time, and with the K-1 fiance visa you may have to wait as much as 90 days for a work permit.

That being said, Each way is a long process. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you can do this in 3 or 4 months, it's not going to happen. Figure on 6 months minimum. And do yourself a favor. Talk to people who have been through the process (like myself :glasses: ) or better yet, only rely on information you receive firsthand from the US government or the Consulate. There will be many people who will have advice and horror stories, who will tell you that they will deny the visa because the consular officer had a bad day, etc. There will also be people who will tell you you cannot do this without a lawyer, or that a lawyer will speed up the process. The reality is that unless your spouse has a problem like illegal entry to the US or a criminal record, or some other unusual circumstances, a lawyer can't do anything that you can't do. I am not an attorney, and this is totally my opinion, but for a normal case a lawyer is a collossal waste of money. If you are not comfortable with filling out the paperwork yourself, there are many assistance agencies that will charge you a reasonable fee to do the paperwork or check it for you, and do the translations, pictures, etc. Actually, I have used a firm like this for my translations, and I am considering starting my own agency since I have been through the process, and I am passionate about people being able to legally immigrate to the country to reunite with their families.

Feel free to ask more questions, or PM me if there is something you don't want in the forum. You can also e-mail me at tim@twincactus.com if you want. I will be glad to help you.

Oh, one more thing. There seem to be a whole bunch of people who think that you can just get married and file some papers directly at the embassy in the DR. There is NO consular filing in the DR, and if there was, the USC would have to reside in the DR for a long period of time to do it. So the answer is absolutely you cannot file at the Embassy. You must file your paperwork with a service center.

I hope I have helped you some on your journey.

-Tim

Hey, anyone think they might want someone to moderate an "emmigration from the DR" forum here on DR1? Robert, what do you think? I would be willing to moderate it for the group. It's just a thought. We seem to be getting alot of these questions lately.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
twincactus said:
Hey, anyone think they might want someone to moderate an "emmigration from the DR" forum here on DR1? Robert, what do you think? I would be willing to moderate it for the group. It's just a thought. We seem to be getting alot of these questions lately.

I don't think there is enough to justify a separate section.

L-dzzy

Nov 7, 2004
twincactus said:

I think that is a great idea. Many people want to find out what the experience is like from people that have gone through the long agonizing process before. These questions come up all the time. One central forum for this subject will eliminate repeated questions.
I'm all for it.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
People with knowledge about a subject are always welcome to post in all forums.

One doesn't have to be a moderator to do that. ;)

The question is do we need a separate forum to answer immigration questions from different countries?

In my opinion we don't. Most people will give advice of their experience from the country they are from in this legal forum.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
L-dzzy said:
One central forum for this subject will eliminate repeated questions.

As someone who has been on this board for years, I can tell you that "one central forum" will not eliminate repeated questions. The only thing that eliminates some repeated questions is for people with questions to research the dr1 archives before posting a question that has been answered many times.

Having another forum, which I don't think is merited, will make no difference. People will still post the same questions without having done their research.

If we start a forum on this, we should start one on importing a vehicle from the US, one on getting residency, one on medical services, etc., topics that are asked about more frequently than getting a US visa for a Dominican.

Last edited:

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
IF you are sure K-1 is much much faster.

maritabelleza said:
It is easier to get married in DR, then have a lawyer file the papers for you.

If you are sure and intend to get hitched then the K1 process is much faster. The paperwork is the same for both (I've used both processes K1 for Wife and youngest child and I130 for other children and youngest when we had to send her back to the DR because of school admission problems). The time for the I-130 process (if you get married in the DR) is three times longer (but it does give you more time to be sure you are compadiable and discover how you or if you can deal with frustration together). You do not need a lawyer for either process and having one will not speed up the process for you (it will however free you from filling out the paperwork) the choice is yours, best of luck. PS A great resource for you would be the Yahoo group didicated to Visa's from the DR is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K-1visa_DR/ they can answer many of your questions as many of them are going through the process now.