Leonel, Most Popular Latin American President

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Capo to the Rescue

aegap said:

The presidents of Dominican Republic, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile are
those of great popularity in Ibero-America, according to a disclosed
survey on Sunday by the international consultant Ipsos.

The poll was spread by the electronic newspaper Terra that
indicates the survey was made between March and April, in 16 countries,
to 7,548 participants, both men and women, 18 years & older.

The president who appears with great approval according to Ipsos is
the Dominican Leonel Fernandez, with 88%, soon follow by the Uruguayan
Tabar? V?zquez, with 80%, the Argentinean N?stor Kirchner, with 77%
and the Chilean Ricardo Lagos, with a 76%.

Furthur down the list are chief executives of Colombia, Venezuela, Bolivia, Portugal and Brazil.

The last ones on the list is the recently dismissed Lucio Guti?rrez, of
Ecuador, with 19%, and the Peruvian Alexander Toledo, with 10%.

The survey was spread by the office in Santiago of the consultant Ipsos.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
If Leonel is the best.....

I really feel sorry for the rest of Latin America. Right now Leonel is closing in on Hipolito as the worst president ever in DR. Leonel is so full of himself, which is mostly manure, that by the end of his fourth year he will be lucky to be in office.

TW

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
El Presidente!

Golo100 said:
I really feel sorry for the rest of Latin America. Right now Leonel is closing in on Hipolito as the worst president ever in DR. Leonel is so full of himself, which is mostly manure, that by the end of his fourth year he will be lucky to be in office.

TW

He has clearly not lived up to expectations. There are extenuating circumstances (i.e. an international economic slump, the high price of oil, and ongoing local social problems), but they are largely baseline factors with which any head of state would have to contend in this country. So far, and we are nearing the midpoint, the quality and quantity of Leonel's rhetoric has far exceeded his worthwhile accomplishments.

When he has acted, it has been under local and/or international political pressure (e.g. the US demand that caused him to purge the military) rather than vision and initiative. The problems facing him and us are monumental and growing. A groundswell of support for Danilo indicates a thirst for change in the streets...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I suppose the 4% economic growth in the 1st quarter of this year is not good news?
(Note From Moderator) Please go to the DR1 news Archives.That 4% figure was from the Central Bank.It is WRONG! The true % is minus 3.5!)

Or the increase in foreign investment into local industries?

Or the stabilization of prices?

Or the much more positive economic outlook for this country coming from the mouth of international financial institutions such as Bear and Stern, IMF, among others?

Leonel is the best thing to have happened.

You guys are pathetic with your whining and rhetoric.

The data shows what's happening, shows the better conditions the economy is in as of now compared to this time last year and the prospects are higher, better, and more positive since Leonel left power in 2000!

You guys are pathetic to the fullest degree. I can't believe what I am reading here, unbelievable.

Seems that you guys prefer the country to be ruled by Hipolito, a man who sent the country to hell in a handbag.

Totally pathetic. :disappoin :disappoin :disappoin :disappoin :disappoin

Last edited by a moderator:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
it's not about me or Hipolito

Nal0whs said:
I suppose the 4% economic growth in the 1st quarter of this year is not good news?

Or the much more positive economic outlook for this country coming from the mouth of international financial institutions such as Bear and Stern, IMF, among others?

You guys are pathetic with your whining and rhetoric.

The data shows what's happening, shows the better conditions the economy is in as of now compared to this time last year and the prospects are higher, better, and more positive since Leonel left power in 2000!

You guys are pathetic to the fullest degree. I can't believe what I am reading here, unbelievable.

Seems that you guys prefer the country to be ruled by Hipolito, a man who sent the country to hell in a handbag.

Totally pathetic. :disappoin :disappoin :disappoin :disappoin :disappoin

Hipolito is no longer president, nor have I ever been. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are a sufficiently reasonable person to accept that Leonel deserves most of the credit and/or blame for the country's current situation. (As an aside, I personally find the Caribbean custom of immediately looking for any alternative to accepting responsibility to be less than charming.)

Few would argue Hipolito was a force for positive change. He will judged by history, and his government is now part of history. Let's focus on the present and the future, shall we?

Leonel made many declarations against corruption. What has he initiated toward that end? Do you feel there is any link between official corruption and the ongoing economic crisis? Should we assume Hipolito's indefinitely postponed appointment with justice officials and the meeting between them and Leonel's people in the hours before the original date are coincidental?

The peso has recovered much of its value against the dollar. Unfortunately, that does not matter to anyone who earns their living or has their savings in pesos, because far fewer prices have moved than have remained at 50 pesos to the dollar levels. The international financiers have yet to put their money where their mouths are. The Central Bank is, well, still the Central Bank. The cost of an evening out in Santo Domingo rivals the cost of an evening out in New York or Paris, but only in cost.

One should not confuse being observant with being judgmental. I try to keep an open mind and I hope for the best. Recently, the line between hopefulness and disappointment is becoming rather thin.

E' pa'fuera que estan...y que?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
arturo said:
... So far, and we are nearing the midpoint, the quality and quantity of Leonel's rhetoric has far exceeded his worthwhile accomplishments...
Midpoint? Didn't he take office in August 2004. It hasn't even been a year. Give him some time. Things were out of control when he took office. Bear Stearns seems confident:
http://dr1.com/premium/news/2005/dnews050305.shtml

Hopefully in the next election more of his party will get elected to congress and it will be easier for him to achieve his agenda.

Lurch

Aug 8, 2003
Nal0whs said:

These numbers are considered by just everyone highly dubious. I assume even you are a tad curious about them. I noticed you didn?t bring up the PLD propaganda about 3.5% increase in the FZs (I guess it couldn?t pass the giggle test)

Nal0whs said:

This definitely fails the giggle test.

Nal0whs said:

Sure, every company ?stabilized? prices at a 40-50:1 exchange rate. However I do admit to enjoying the unusual profit margin, however the PLD seems to want it in new taxes (not that they are going to get it anytime soon, but they are making efforts.)

Nal0whs said:

Bear Stearns always has an agenda, and due to your background you should know that as well as anyone. IMF is not exactly pleased at the moment, and that brings us back to agenda point again anyway. Lets not forget the current credit rating for the RD as well.

Nal0whs said:

I had great hopes for him, I admit to this. However he is just more of the same, just a tad more subtle (with the exception of the Island and Metro..hehe)

I have not seen anything fundamental change in RD models, only new taxes and ahem new "political revenue streams" :bandit:

Nal0whs said:

I need an aspirin.

Nal0whs said:

Unbelievable, much like anything that comes from the RD Central Bank.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
(As an aside, I personally find the Caribbean custom of immediately looking for any alternative to accepting responsibility to be less than charming.)
What exactly do you want us to do?

Sit around and say, it's our fault and just sit and look pretty?

If we want change, then we have to move on try something that has not been tried, because it's beyond obvious that what has been tried has not worked!

Few would argue Hipolito was a force for positive change. He will judged by history, and his government is now part of history. Let's focus on the present and the future, shall we?
I'm trying to focus on the future, but people are still acting as if Hipolito is still in power.

Leonel made many declarations against corruption. What has he initiated toward that end? Do you feel there is any link between official corruption and the ongoing economic crisis? Should we assume Hipolito's indefinitely postponed appointment with justice officials and the meeting between them and Leonel's people in the hours before the original date are coincidental?
Of course the economic crisis was worsen by corruption, hello, Bank Collapse!!

But, we live in a society that took around 500 years (since Columbus' time) to become this corrupt, do you expect for everything to change over night?

If it took you a year to get fat, expect at least a year to lose the weight!

The peso has recovered much of its value against the dollar. Unfortunately, that does not matter to anyone who earns their living or has their savings in pesos, because far fewer prices have moved than have remained at 50 pesos to the dollar levels. The international financiers have yet to put their money where their mouths are. The Central Bank is, well, still the Central Bank. The cost of an evening out in Santo Domingo rivals the cost of an evening out in New York or Paris, but only in cost.
Well, the alternative would have been becoming the most expensive place to live in the world!

The current scenerio is the best scenerio the country can be in at this moment in time, given all of the roller coaster rides we recently went through.

We are lucky eating out compares to city like NY or Paris as oppose to being the most expensive place in the world by a huge margin, which by the way, if Leonel would have never taken the steps he did to halt inflation, prices today would have been probably twice as high from last year. Remember, we have gotten quite an increase in living expenses in the past two years, cost of living has not increased by much since Leonel took power because he halted inflation.

Now, if what you want is for prices to continue to skyrocket, then vote for Hippo. He will grant you that wish.

One should not confuse being observant with being judgmental. I try to keep an open mind and I hope for the best. Recently, the line between hopefulness and disappointment is becoming rather thin.
This is a bit redundant.

Many people who are against Leonel (despite the facts) make this little claim at the end in an attempt to get sympathy for their way of thought.

Hint: It's not going to work, at least not with me. Every other word you posted here totally contradict that notion of "hoping for the best" or being "open minded".

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Im agree with Arturo, with Hipolito things was better, the dollar exchange 28 x 1 and the prices are as 50 x 1. They said that will solved all problems, almost a year and wants more time?, what about PEME case? they retired the lawyers in case, and the new cases that everybody knows, USD$25 M, for a hospital in Santiago where poor people couldn't go as La Plaza de la Salud.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
These numbers are considered by just everyone highly dubious. I assume even you are a tad curious about them. I noticed you didn?t bring up the PLD propaganda about 3.5% increase in the FZs (I guess it couldn?t pass the giggle test)

This definitely fails the giggle test.
If FZs went up by 3.5% last quarter, then they went up by 3.5%.

If you noticed on the report, the central bank stated the growth for the first quarter of 2005. Now, one quarter in a year is three months and the first quarter is January, February, and March combined.

If you notice on the report, they did admited that FZs grew by 3.5% during those months, but they dispute whether that's true today, as if the CB has been reporting about today.

That is just journalist writing stuff, because they got nothing else to do.

Sure, every company ?stabilized? prices at a 40-50:1 exchange rate. However I do admit to enjoying the unusual profit margin, however the PLD seems to want it in new taxes (not that they are going to get it anytime soon, but they are making efforts.)
I'm sure you would have loved for it to be 100:1, yeah, that makes you smile.

The way government gets revenue is through taxes. Hippo did quite a job at the reserves and national debt, the least the current administration can try to do is pay off the minimums, at the very least!

Bear Stearns always has an agenda, and due to your background you should know that as well as anyone. IMF is not exactly pleased at the moment, and that brings us back to agenda point again anyway. Lets not forget the current credit rating for the RD as well.
Of course, no DR1 was complaining when in the past two years Bear Stearns correctly gave gloomy predictions, but now that things are turning better, suddenly there is suspicion?

Oh please...

I had great hopes for him, I admit to this. However he is just more of the same, just a tad more subtle (with the exception of the Island and Metro..hehe)
More of the same, but life today is not nearly as bad as it would have been if things would have really continued to be the same!

Hmm, seems like different to me! Of course, I don't expect for the changes to be obvious tomorrow, it takes time.

I've been saying since October of last year that the Peso was going to Stabilize around the 30 mark, that inflation was going to be halted, and in December I mentioned an economic growth rate of around 5% this year. So far, everything is going on target to what I have stated, as usual.

Why?

Because I base these things on fact, knowing how Leonel works based on his previous rule over this land, and on not focusing on what I think should happen, but on what the data says will happen given the circumstances and the adjusments.

Now, people could continue to criticize me and continue to be proven wrong (more than a few have been very quiet lately, I'm not being challenged as often as I am used to on DR1 with respect to the economy, makes DR1 a bit more dull for me).

BTW, I do make incorrect predictions and assumptions from time to time, but my intuition is still very good.

I have not seen anything fundamental change in RD models, only new taxes and ahem new "political revenue streams" :bandit:
If you are waiting for change tomorrow, then here is a hint:

You can stop the anticipation because you will not see the results tomorrow, instead it takes time for change to come rolling through.

Like I previously stated to the other guy here,

if it took you a year to gain weight, expect at least a year to lose it!

Unbelievable, much like anything that comes from the RD Central Bank
But it was believable when they were very pessimistic. Oh yes, very believable then, but now that the signs of change are upon us, suddenly it's "not truthworthy".

I hope I'm wrong about the expats, but it appears that bad news is a plus among you guys and good news, well at least when its good Dominican news, well suddenly it becomes the center of discussion, suspicion, and debate.

Jun 5, 2004
Golo100 said:

TW

Dominican politics you can last years and years trying to understand it. When Hipolito was in power people complaint saying oh the dollar is to high and merchandise is too high. When Leonel comes the dollar comes down and the merchandise stays up. What is this. We cant really tell which one is worst dominican people seem to forget very soon what is done to them y se meten de Guatemala a Guatapeor. Sooooooo Poor countries if Leonel is the best.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
be honest...

Do you have family with PLD jobs?

Nal0whs said:
If FZs went up by 3.5% last quarter, then they went up by 3.5%.

If you noticed on the report, the central bank stated the growth for the first quarter of 2005. Now, one quarter in a year is three months and the first quarter is January, February, and March combined.

If you notice on the report, they did admited that FZs grew by 3.5% during those months, but they dispute whether that's true today, as if the CB has been reporting about today.

That is just journalist writing stuff, because they got nothing else to do.

I'm sure you would have loved for it to be 100:1, yeah, that makes you smile.

The way government gets revenue is through taxes. Hippo did quite a job at the reserves and national debt, the least the current administration can try to do is pay off the minimums, at the very least!

Of course, no DR1 was complaining when in the past two years Bear Stearns correctly gave gloomy predictions, but now that things are turning better, suddenly there is suspicion?

Oh please...

More of the same, but life today is not nearly as bad as it would have been if things would have really continued to be the same!

Hmm, seems like different to me! Of course, I don't expect for the changes to be obvious tomorrow, it takes time.

I've been saying since October of last year that the Peso was going to Stabilize around the 30 mark, that inflation was going to be halted, and in December I mentioned an economic growth rate of around 5% this year. So far, everything is going on target to what I have stated, as usual.

Why?

Because I base these things on fact, knowing how Leonel works based on his previous rule over this land, and on not focusing on what I think should happen, but on what the data says will happen given the circumstances and the adjusments.

Now, people could continue to criticize me and continue to be proven wrong (more than a few have been very quiet lately, I'm not being challenged as often as I am used to on DR1 with respect to the economy, makes DR1 a bit more dull for me).

BTW, I do make incorrect predictions and assumptions from time to time, but my intuition is still very good.

If you are waiting for change tomorrow, then here is a hint:

You can stop the anticipation because you will not see the results tomorrow, instead it takes time for change to come rolling through.

Like I previously stated to the other guy here,

if it took you a year to gain weight, expect at least a year to lose it!

But it was believable when they were very pessimistic. Oh yes, very believable then, but now that the signs of change are upon us, suddenly it's "not truthworthy".

I hope I'm wrong about the expats, but it appears that bad news is a plus among you guys and good news, well at least when its good Dominican news, well suddenly it becomes the center of discussion, suspicion, and debate.

Apr 26, 2002
Nal0whs said:
Actually, Nals, many of the posters on DR1 were quite incredulous when, in 2001-2002, Wall Street was pushing DR sovereign bonds with rosey stories about the DR economy (all based on growth that occured during the 1996-2000 Fernandez administration) while those of us with our feet on the ground in the DR could see that the PRD was bankrupting the country. Oh the glowing reports coming out of Bear Stearns, JPMorgan, CreditSuisse, etc., all while most here could see the train wreck coming and said as much! Wall Street didn't react until the train wreck actually occured and the bloody bodies were scattered all over the tracks. The only question was whether Wall Street was accidentally or intentionally blind. I suspect the latter.
(Moderator's Note) Once again those who attempt to tell all of us on DR1 how accurate they are in prognosticating the DR economy(Nalowls) get caught in their own fantasies by those who have longer memories("Porfi")We remember when the "Bond Brokers" wanted to hype the DR's economy to get those fat sales commisions! Now they get more money by handling the 5 years extentions on the DR international bond debt!
I have learned much about the IMF,World Bank,Brokers,"Bond Raters" and other oportunistic "Thieves" from the author of this post!CC

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Remember that Golo was the only one who had a clue at the time???

Some people need to study up on their Laffer lines and other economic principles.........the Free Zones can grow all day long at 10% and that still wouldn't make a big difference in the economy. That money leaves the DR anyways....Free Zones only give jobs and take money outta the country but they're gonna start laying people off at an incredulous rate. I hope the DR gets back on its feet but things look pretty crappy right now. However, there were signs of improvement when I was down there in April. It's not all gloom and doom but I don't see the world thru rose-colored glasses either.

There is no reason for an expat that might be business-savvy to start believing all of a sudden that the DR economy is bouncing back, specially after 4 years of bull$h1t from the Hippo. You know what's funny, when Germany was in its downward spiral back in the 1930s, they started giving out interest-free loans and reducing or eliminating different types of taxes so the population could start saving some money. It was a trickle down effect and whaddayaknow, years later they were back on top. Nothing supernatural or sneaky about it, just pure economic genius at work. It just so happened that their leader was a nutjob with a few screws loose in his brain. The simpler the better, if you ask me. Maybe they would stop complaining about having no money in the DR Gov't coffers if they followed that example but nowadays it's hard to try that strategy out when you owe money to other countries that wanna keep your country in that position. People in DR are too used to having the Gov't solve all their problems and if they weren't so lazy down there, then they would be opening up businesses like crazy.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Nal0wohs

My credentials as an anti-Hipolito is unquestionable based on my thread history in this forum. Worst yet, I voted against him and gave my vote to Leonel just to get rid of the bastard. But to be fair, Leonel has been a total failure. We're not talking 6 months now, 10 months! The guy has done nothing but artificially hold the dollar at $28 to $1.
>The dollar had already began to slide agaisnt the peso during Hippo's rule. For those with short memories, the dollar went as high as $55 and Hippo turned it in to Leonel at $38 to $1, using the same technique that Leonel is getting credit for now, which is building up the BC debt to curtail the dollar shopping spree. This is not Leonel's idea. Had Hippo stayed in office the dollar would have gone down to $28 to $1, because the same group is still at BC and they decided to buy time picking up more debt.
>Leonel has increased the BC certificate debt from $80 billion to over $140 billion. So it is no miracle that the dollar stays low artificially. But what's going to happen when the debt cannot be phased out as planned as it is now the case. The government is not collecting enough taxes to buy off the certificates by injecting more money into BC. It does not matter how much they collect, they won't be able to do so, unless they let the dollar float to its real value of $38 to $1.
>Leonel has a net loss of jobs so far. New jobs are not replacing the thousands of layoffs caused by the dollar fall in key industries like tourism and free trade zones. We are in a deep recession. Anybody who claims otherwise is blind. Most Dominicans, who receive over $US3.5 biilion from abroad have lost 50% of their buying power while Leonel pays off the trade deficit at our expense. It doesn't take a genius or management guru to make profit at someone's expense.
>Leonel continues to blunder his way thru office. He has no plans to run the country, contrary to his 1996 period. He is completely lost and confused this time and is heading for a major fall. Time will prove me right. He has lost control of the streets, traffic, the military, in other words it does not feel like we have a government out there and someone to protect its citizenry.
>Contradictions like the US$25 million investment into a hospital in Santiago when the rest of the hospitals are in complete decay is a major P.R. fumble. His "metro" idea is dumb. There is no way a metro can solve this mess. The country needs more institutional corrections before we can get into something like this. His food coupon or credit card idea has fallen into a hole. The poor have been deceived.
>Leonel's reports that prices have stabilized or gone down are just a mirage. Everything from drugs to canned food have risen substantially since he took over. Never during Hippo's mandate did an apple cost $58 a Lb. or Globe grapes as much as $98 a lb. Hippo left the platano at $2.50. It costs $4.50 a unit and as much as $7 in some areas. Making a phone call is a luxury now. On a $1000 bill $200 goes for taxes. Gas prices have gone up substantially when you compare the formula (cost of oil/currency rate/price of gas)during Hippo and Leonel now. Hippo($48/$50/1.07 premium gas)Leonel($28/$54/$1.07 premium gas) If anything gasoline should be selling at $79 not $1.07 today. But Leonel has taxed us to death to pay off his debt.
>Leonel is as much to blame for the economy today as Hippo was. Leonel left a deep mess for Hippo when he left office in 2000. That's why his party was swept out of office and left with 1 senator and barely a handful of mayors and congressmen. Leonel failed to increase the price of gasoline in the waning months of his 1996 government as a tool to gain votes, but it backfired. Hippo had to increase the price of gas as soon as he took office to pay for the huge deficit Leonel left. The bank failures later on began to hatch during Leonel's tenure. Corruption scandals were as commonplace, but we have forgotten. His major achievement during 1996 was the institutionalization of government. He has not been able to reorganize his government this time.
>Finally, Leonel will end up with his behind burning soon enough. There will be upheavals in barrios and all over unless this guy clears up his mind from the 57% vote hangover. He may have 80% approval in Latin America, but if polled here today, I bet his government has fallen to about 40% now. His cabinet members are all riding in luxury unheard of. If Hippo's men were driving Monteros, Leonel's boys are driving Escalades and Hummers without any shame. The corruption going underneath in his government is gross and putrid. The smell will come out soon.
TW

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
CMIIAW, but I have an idea that 'Not Golo 3' is actually Golo.

Apart from that, point well made, Porfi.