Contract Labor/Contract work

nugirlnyc

Nov 1, 2004
Does anyone know the requirements on the employer side to have a contract worker (i.e, what types of insurance must be provided and other benefits?) Lets say if it's just for a 3 month project, or a 6 month project?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It would depend a little what kind of labour you are talking about,
workers, managers... etc Salaries.. fixed or only commission based?

nugirlnyc

Nov 1, 2004
They will just be workers, 40/hr week, fixed monthly income for the duration of the project (3-6 mths). They will be working for a Information Technology department. Mainly working on computers.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I think what would be expected then, and hopefully you get a second opinion here on the board as well, is
- Monthly or Weekly salary
- Last paycheck would include the % of earned vacationmoney ( 2 weeks per year split in the amount of worked days with you )
- X-mas bonus ( double salary ) split in the amount of days worked with you.
- Health insurance

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would speak to a lawyer. We have been advised in the past that contract (fixed time frame) work is not possible. You either hire them full time and pay all the necessary rates, insurance and severance, or retire them on the 89th day.

We would love to employee people at DR1 on contract for short term projects, but have been advised against it, as the labor laws do not recognize this type of employment option.

You will also find other threads on this subject.

nugirlnyc

Nov 1, 2004
Could you provide a link to them, i've tried to search for them but only come p with one.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
nugirlnyc said:
Could you provide a link to them, i've tried to search for them but only come p with one.
If you go to www.phlaw.com and go to their publications section, you will see an Executive Summary (in English) of the Dominican Labor Laws. It will answer all your questions.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Any employee over 90 days is considered an indefinite employee and entitled to all benefits (vacation, christmas bonus, etc.). If you terminate an employee before 90 days and rehire him in less than 3 months, the Labor Dept. will assume that you terminated him and rehired him to circuumvent paying benefits and will rule that they are owed to the employee. The only times an employee can be hired for a definite period of time is when the job itself is temporary or the employee is replacing another employee who is away for sick leave or vacation.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Heard of one way

Robert said:
I would speak to a lawyer. We have been advised in the past that contract (fixed time frame) work is not possible. You either hire them full time and pay all the necessary rates, insurance and severance, or retire them on the 89th day.

We would love to employee people at DR1 on contract for short term projects, but have been advised against it, as the labor laws do not recognize this type of employment option.

You will also find other threads on this subject.

As far as I know, You can use a contractor from an contract company, and they are liable for all the bennies. you are only responsible for the contract amount. the employee does not belong to you. Just like in the US.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
If you cut the contract before 90 days they only rights that the empleoyee has are a portion of the christmas bonus and the payment until the day he/she has been working. The 90 days are the test period.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
bienamor said:
As far as I know, You can use a contractor from an contract company, and they are liable for all the bennies. you are only responsible for the contract amount. the employee does not belong to you. Just like in the US.

We have looked at this, but for what we want done, they just don't have the skill base.