voluntary work

Corporal cod

Jan 12, 2005
I am considering a gap year after i finish college and i was wondering if anyone has any useful information on either La Hoya, Bombita, or possible Fundacion Falconbridge projects.
Has anyone been on voluntary work out there! Or any useful information that could help me!!!
What is the local area like as i have been to the Dominican republic, but not to these areas however this summer i am going on vacation and i plan to research it more before deciding where to take a gap year to?

akipp

May 6, 2005
Consider the DREAM Project in Cabarete

Corporal cod said:
I am considering a gap year after i finish college and i was wondering if anyone has any useful information on either La Hoya, Bombita, or possible Fundacion Falconbridge projects.
Has anyone been on voluntary work out there! Or any useful information that could help me!!!
What is the local area like as i have been to the Dominican republic, but not to these areas however this summer i am going on vacation and i plan to research it more before deciding where to take a gap year to?

If you are able/willing to work on the North Coast near Cabarete I would recommend getting in contact with the DREAM Project (www.dominicandream.org). They are a small education non-profit that places volunteers in local schools to work with children on literacy, computer skills, etc. Most of their volunteer projects are education related so you would most likely be working with school age children. They also have some connections with Falconbridge. Check out their website and send them an email if the North Coast is a possibility for you. It is somewhat touristy but the Dominicans there are just as Dominican and definitely will appreciate your goodwill.
Best of luck.

Nov 5, 2004
Corporal cod said:

Although I have no specificrecommendations of foundations I have heard of...besides the Dream project..which was already mentioned...

I would like to commend you on your choice of ways to spend your time! That is wonderful..!!! :D

I will look tomorrow I have the name of another cheritable organization besides the Dream project which I have heard of commonely before..

Will let u know when I find it.

Corporal cod

Jan 12, 2005
Thanks you all for your answers i have alot of research to do before i made a decision of where or who to do with.
Peache you obliviously think the same as me what could be better than giving your time to improve education and living standards in a country i have had brillant holidays in.
The people are so amazing!
I looked at that website and also the www.projecttrust.org.uk but if anyone has any advice for me i would love it, as i have alot to think about. But my college is really helping me research the places on option. :nervous:

Last edited:

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
If I May...

If you location brings you to Puerto Plata, you can contact Fundacion Patria regarding your desire to do volunteer work. FP was started by a group of hotel managers with the express intent of improving the schools in the Puerto Plata area.

You can view the FP website at: www.fundapatria.com The site opens in Spanish, but if you locate the small flags on the upper right side of the page, and then click on the British flag, you can have an English version.

If you want more info re: FP, locate the thread: Help The Schools Via Fundacion Patria, which is located in this forum.

You can send an email to Sr. Mario Mattana, hotel manager at Fun Royale-Fun Tropicale to request any answers to questions you may have. His email address is: mmattana@funroyale-tropicale.com

The DREAM Project is a very worthwhile organization that is designed to assist the schools in the Cabarete. FP on the other hand, is set up to assist the schools in the Puerto Plata area. Take your pick. Which ever you choose, the students will be very appreciative of whatever you are able to do.

Thank you for your interest and desire to assist the Dominican students.

Enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

Corporal cod

Jan 12, 2005
Thanks for the feedback

Well thanks to everyone that has replied to this message their is so much information to look at but i'm getting through it! Eventually :)
I am glad that people seem to think that the dominican will appreciate it as i want to give something back. As they always seem to go out of their way to help so i want to assist them anyway i can to improve there future.
But i was concerned that they may be a little hostile towards foreigners going this, although they are so friendly?

Daithi

Jun 30, 2003
La Hoya and Bombita are two villages in the South West near Barahona. A UK/US charity called COPA has built and runs schools and clinics in these villages. Check out the following websites for more info:

www.copa.org.uk
www.copausa.org

Corporal cod

Jan 12, 2005
Thanks Daithi for the links i have found these ones but do you know anything about the areas, are they completly isolated? As i don't think i would be able to handle it. Do you have any other information that would be useful for me about these areas?