Best prepaid cell phone provider

Jun 5, 2004
I believe that in the Dominican Republic the best prepaid cell phone provider is Orange Dominicana. The agents are very respectful, attentive and overall nice.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
apdomini100max said:
I believe that in the Dominican Republic the best prepaid cell phone provider is Orange Dominicana. The agents are very respectful, attentive and overall nice.

Orange is the best cell phone provider longer minutes and the agents are very respectful. Centennial is the sucky one.

Jun 5, 2004
They count per second not minutes like most of the other do. I guess they charge you 0.10. per minute or something like that. Check it out. orange.com.do

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I think Orange is now being eclipsed by Centennial and Verizon, the latter of which may combine to give the best service and coverage. Orange service is bad, and the telephones are junk. I use Centennial now because it provides better coverage in the areas I need it, though its coverage overall leaves something to be desired (they say they are in the process of extending it).

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Hipocrito Mejia said:
From my personal experience, Orange has the best rates and Verizon has the best coverage.

Agreed. But while the Orange rates are good, previous experience with their customer service and the poor quality of their phones drove me away from them.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I have use it Verizon, Orange and Centennial services, I can tell that verizon has better coverage and stronger signal than Orange, but verizon plans are expensive. Orange signal drop a lot. Actually im with centennial, better customer service than others, better prices in post pay and pre pay service with 50% discount in weekends for pre pay customers.

If you only move between main cities all over the Dominican Republic, for now centennial is the better option, hope they expand the coverage area this year to the rest of the small towns where other companies has coverage.

DEV

Dec 1, 2005
Pre Paid

I've used both Orange with my Moto V600 (GSM quad band) and Verizon with my Moto V710 (Digital and Analog). Orange in SD has great signal and clarity but all of a sudden a call will drop due to no signal How you can go from 4-5 bars to none for 10 seconds is beyond me. Orange is easier to keep track of your balance since they'll text your balance and expiration.

Verizon seems more reliable and it's what I'm using now. I have my Dominican # programmed on NAM 2 and switch back to NAM 1 upon my return to the States.

My problem is both carriers expire your number after 60 days. I wish there were a way to recharge my Verizon phone from the States without going to New York. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Don V

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
If you are frecuent visitor to DR and wants to keep your number, you must know some one here that could recharge by fixed phone your account.

If you were centennial user you could add balance to your mobile from their internet site using your credit card, other option is having a full plan where you pay a the same amount every month, so you calculate how many months you will be off and pay the months after you leave, so when you return will have your number activated and the total of the minutes of those months that you paid because if you don?t use your minutes automaticaly roll over to the next month if you have pay on time.

DEV

Dec 1, 2005
I went with a pre paid because Verizon told me in November that even if I paid a year in advance since I had no permanent address yet in the DR I was not able to obtain a standard account. My company should have a presence there and an address within 3 months so hopefully this will be a mute point after that.

I recharged when I was there 2 -6 Jan and gave a business friend 3 600 peso cards for the 3 phones and asked her to recharge them for me in 60 days if I'm not able to return by then.

Thanks for your help!

Don V

JERSEY DAVE

Feb 14, 2006
What type(s) of phones would be compatible with orange's service, I'd like to buy a couple of cheapo's to bring with me, and activate over there
Thanks, Dave

DEV

Dec 1, 2005
JERSEY DAVE said:
What type(s) of phones would be compatible with orange's service, I'd like to buy a couple of cheapo's to bring with me, and activate over there
Thanks, Dave

An unlocked GSM. Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.

Don V

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
JERSEY DAVE said:
Thanks! EBAY here I Come!
Unless you can get one on eBay for less than $50, I wouldn't bother. There's always a small chance that the one you buy won't work in the DR for some reason or another. Whereas if you buy one at Orange in the DR, you'll know it works.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
DEV said:
My problem is both carriers expire your number after 60 days. I wish there were a way to recharge my Verizon phone from the States without going to New York. Anyone have any ideas on this?

In the condo where I live, there are owners who are here only in the winter. Before leaving in the spring, they buy several cards and have somebody put a new card in every 2 months. That way, when they get back they have same number and some of the minutes available for immediate use.

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
You can recharge Orange from overseas

Before leaving the DR I buy several Orange cards and simply follow the instructions on the back for how to recharge your account from another phone. You call an 809 number and follow the prompts, including entering your orange phone number. Your Orange phone can be out of the country and/or turned off when you do this. Not difficult but of course long distance rates apply when dialing the 809 number.

Ben

JERSEY DAVE

Feb 14, 2006
cell phone

How much is a cheap phone from Orange? Do they rent them?

rellosk said:
Unless you can get one on eBay for less than $50, I wouldn't bother. There's always a small chance that the one you buy won't work in the DR for some reason or another. Whereas if you buy one at Orange in the DR, you'll know it works.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Ben said:
Before leaving the DR I buy several Orange cards and simply follow the instructions on the back for how to recharge your account from another phone. You call an 809 number and follow the prompts, including entering your orange phone number. Your Orange phone can be out of the country and/or turned off when you do this. Not difficult but of course long distance rates apply when dialing the 809 number.
Excellent info. Never knew you could do that.