can someone explain the differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
ok here goes..... having alot of trouble figuring out when and how to use the following:mio/mios,mia/mias,tuyo/tuya,tuyos/tuyas,su/sus,suya/suyo,suyas/suyos,el mio/el mia, etc you get my drift of difficulty in understanding the usage and meaning of these.Can someone please use them in a sentence and translate the English equivalent.Thanks so much think I'm gonna have a brain hemorrage ugh!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'll have a bash: feel free to correct or add information.

mio - mine, refering to an object that is masc. sing. Ese libro es mio.

mios - mine, refering to an object that is masc. pl. Esos libros son mios.

mia - mine, refering to an object that is fem. sing. Esa flor es mia.

mias - mine, refering to an object that is fem. pl. Esas flores son mias.

tuyo - yours, refering to an object that is masc. sing. Ese ni?o es tuyo.

tuya - yours, refering to an object that is fem. sing. Esa ni?a es tuya.

tuyos - yours, refering to an object that is masc. pl. Esos ni?os son tuyos.

tuyas - yours, refering to an object that is fem. pl. Esas ni?as son tuyas.

su - his/her (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is masc. sing.

Juan es su hijo.

sus - his/her (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is masc. pl

Juan y Pedro son sus hijos.

suya - his/hers (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is fem. sing.

Esa mochila es suya.

suyo - his/hers (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is masc. sing.

Ese libro es suyo.

suyas - his/hers (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is fem. pl.

Esas ni?as son suyas.

suyos - his/hers (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is masc. pl.

Esos ni?os son suyos.

el mio/el mia - same as mio/mia but with emphasis.

That one is mine! ?Aquel es el mio!/?Aquella es la mia!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
canajungirl said:
ok here goes..... having alot of trouble figuring out when and how to use the following:mio/mios,mia/mias,tuyo/tuya,tuyos/tuyas,su/sus,suya/suyo,suyas/suyos,el mio/el mia, etc you get my drift of difficulty in understanding the usage and meaning of these.Can someone please use them in a sentence and translate the English equivalent.Thanks so much think I'm gonna have a brain hemorrage ugh!

Just remember the mio vs. mios or tuya vs. tuyas refers to the single or plural for the item in question not the person - so mio is it (one thing) is mine, while mios is (more than one thing) are mine. Tuya for tu, suyo/a for el/ella, etc.

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
that clears it up! so in the case of el mio/mia "el" does not represent "him" the mio/mia refers to the object's masc/fem property?If that is correct ,I have another one just thought of - nuestro/a and vuestro/a what is the meaning and usage please.Chiri thanks for the time in answering and clearing things up!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As my bi-lingual 4 year-old son says: 'That one's the mine!' - literal translation of 'ese es el mio' The 'el' as you say agrees with the gender of the object it's referring to.

Esa pelota es la mia. Ese juguete es el mio.

Nuestro and vuestro - unless you're going to Spain forget vuestro. It is your/yours, the second person familiar plural (plural of tu) which is hardly ever used in Latin American Spanish.

Nuestro is our/ours:

Our:
Nuestro hijo tiene 4 a?os. Nuestra casa es grande. Nuestros vecinos son simpaticos. Nuestras tias cocinan bien.

Ours:
Ese caballo es nuestro. Esa gallina es nuestra. Esos patos son nuestros. Esas vacas son nuestras.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
juancarlos said:
Very good lesson, Chirimoya!
- thanks juancarlos- your post brought me back to the thread and I noticed I'd left something out.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Part II

These forms are called the long form of the possessive adjective. The examples given already represent one form of usage however, these forms can also follow the noun.

For example:

"A friend (male) of mine"= Un amigo m?o. As opposed to mi amigo.

If anyone wishes to expand please feel free.... no tengo tiempo.

LDG.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I am a little confused.

If you are saying "that book is mine" it would be "ese libro es el mio" and if it is "that thing is mine" would be "esa cosa es la mia" and "those things are mine" would be "esas cosas son las mia"

BUT "those books are mine" is "esos libros son los mios" and "eses libros son los mios" is not correct?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chris_NJ said:
I am a little confused.

If you are saying "that book is mine" it would be "ese libro es el mio" and if it is "that thing is mine" would be "esa cosa es la mia" and "those things are mine" would be "esas cosas son las mia"

That book is mine - ese libro es mio OR "ese libro es el mio". When you say the latter you are adding emphasis. Literally "that is the one that is my book".

That thing(f) is mine and those things(f) are mine - same applies. The latter
should be "esas cosas son las mias".

BUT "those books are mine" is "esos libros son los mios" and "eses libros son los mios" is not correct?

Those books are mine: "Esos libros son los mios". No such thing as "Eses".

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Chirimoya said:
No such thing as "Eses".

That is what I wanted to clarify - thanks.

One more - if you wanted to say "that is mine" do you have to specify if "that" is masculine or feminine (depending on what "that" is referring to) or is it correct to say "eso es mio"?

Last edited:

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Chris_NJ said:
That is what I wanted to clarify - thanks.

One more - if you wanted to say "that is mine" do you have to specify if "that" is masculine or feminine (depending on what "that" is referring to) or is it correct to say "eso es mio"?

If you saying "that is mine" you always going to be referring to a specific that. So I would think it would be either feminine or masculine (ese o esa). Eso is used in a more general sense of that.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe when comparing a number of sets of books to identify yours you would say 'esos libros son los mios.' Those are the ones that are mine.
If the subject is already known, 'son mios' would probably be sufficient. They're mine. Still keeping in mind that there should be gender agreement in all cases.

As far as saying 'Soy nacida en Italia.' Everybody would understand it, and it might not be being translated from English ...

mkohn

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
mkohn said:
As far as saying 'Soy nacida en Italia.' Everybody would understand it, and it might not be being translated from English ...

mkohn

I did a google on "soy nacido" and it appears to be pretty common. I saw on a Argentinian site, Costa Rican site, a Chilean site and a host of others. So I doubt the origins had anything to with U.S. since the translation makes absolutely no sense in English. "Fui nacido" would make more sense.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Xamaicano,

I was the one who suggested (in another thread) that the usage may have originated from English because although it is becoming common it's not the standard way to say "I was born". The grammatical properties of the verb "ser" alone justifies that it is not logical but "yes" as mentioned by one poster it will be understood. It's a question of socio-linguistics. I will try to see what I can find out.

LDG.

xamaicano said:
I did a google on "soy nacido" and it appears to be pretty common. I saw on a Argentinian site, Costa Rican site, a Chilean site and a host of others. So I doubt the origins had anything to with U.S. since the translation makes absolutely no sense in English. "Fui nacido" would make more sense.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Clarification of post #2 and #5

There were some incorrect grammatical points in post #2 and #5 and Chirimoya has given me the go ahead to summarize the grammatical concepts. Thanks Chiri.

Just to be short and simple:

There are two types of possessive adjectives in Spanish and they agree in number and gender with nouns they modify:

Type I

● the adjective is placed in front of the noun. For example:

the forms are as follows:

mi/mis, tu/tus, su/sus, nuestro/a, nuestros/as, (vuestro/a, vuestros/as), su/ sus

mi casa, mis zapatos, tu libro, tus cosas etc.

Type II

● the adjective is placed after the noun. For example:

the forms are as follows:

m?o/a, m?os/m?as, tuyo/a, tuyos/tuyas, suyo/a, suyos/as, nuestro/a, nuestros/as (vuestro/a, vuestros/as) suyo/a, suyos/as

La casa m?a, los amigos tuyos, las cosas suyas etc.

● To form phrases the format is as follows:

For example:

La culpa es suya. (there is no def. article [la] between ?es? and ?suya?). La culpa es la suya is NOT correct.

As promised I wanted to keep the summary simple. I hope this is clear.

LDG.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Good question

Mountainfrog,

I removed the second set of examples I had in my post above and placed them here as they are examples of possessive pronouns.

By definition: possessive pronouns are words like mine, yours, his, hers etc. that replace the noun to show possession. I have not listed them in this post as I listed all the possessive adj. above. However, here are some examples- el m?o, el tuyo, el suyo etc.

Examples in a phrase:

Mi abrigo es rojo; el tuyo es azul. (el tuyo replaces ?abrigo?)
Su casa es grande; la nuestra es peque?a. (la nuestra replaces ?casa?).

By definition: possessive adjectives are words that show possession like my, your, his, hers etc. in Spanish these adjectives agree with the object being possessed or what it describes but NOT with the owner of the object or thing. My post above has examples of possessive adjectives.

Thanks,
LDG.

mountainfrog said:
What's the difference between a
possessive adjective
and a
possessive pronoun?

Last edited:

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
How does the person know that you are using the usted form. For instance when i say su nina. how do you know whether im saying her child or your child.

Chirimoya said:
I'll have a bash: feel free to correct or add information.

mio - mine, refering to an object that is masc. sing. Ese libro es mio.

mios - mine, refering to an object that is masc. pl. Esos libros son mios.

mia - mine, refering to an object that is fem. sing. Esa flor es mia.

mias - mine, refering to an object that is fem. pl. Esas flores son mias.

tuyo - yours, refering to an object that is masc. sing. Ese ni?o es tuyo.

tuya - yours, refering to an object that is fem. sing. Esa ni?a es tuya.

tuyos - yours, refering to an object that is masc. pl. Esos ni?os son tuyos.

tuyas - yours, refering to an object that is fem. pl. Esas ni?as son tuyas.

su - his/her (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is masc. sing.

Juan es su hijo.

sus - his/her (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is masc. pl

Juan y Pedro son sus hijos.

suya - his/hers (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is fem. sing.

Esa mochila es suya.

suyo - his/hers (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is masc. sing.

Ese libro es suyo.

suyas - his/hers (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is fem. pl.

Esas ni?as son suyas.

suyos - his/hers (or yours if using usted) refering to an object that is masc. pl.

Esos ni?os son suyos.

el mio/el mia - same as mio/mia but with emphasis.

That one is mine! ?Aquel es el mio!/?Aquella es la mia!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Badussy said:
How does the person know that you are using the usted form. For instance when i say su nina. how do you know whether im saying her child or your child.

Usually from the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.