The use of "y" and "e"

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
mofi said:
Lo Siento Chuck, desde ahora voy a escribir en espanol y ingles.

Sorry Chuck, from now one I am going to write in spanish and english.
Since some want to learn, mofi, the right way to spell what you just wrote is: "Lo siento Chuck.........en espanol "E" ingles. Not "Y" ingles.

Last edited:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Hey Miguel, are you sure

I recalled from my high school and college Spanish classes, the conjunction 'and' is 'y' in Spanish but, pronunced 'E'. Then again, that was a looooooooooong time ago and I only took Spanish to meet chicks (usually good looking ones in language classes, so not much time learning). :cool:

miguel said:
Since some want to learn, mofi, the right way to spell what you just wrote is: "Lo siento Chuck.........en espanol "E" ingles. Not "Y" ingles.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
shadInToronto said:
I recalled from my high school and college Spanish classes, the conjunction 'and' is 'y' in Spanish but, pronunced 'E'. Then again, that was a looooooooooong time ago and I only took Spanish to meet chicks (usually good looking ones in language classes, so not much time learning). :cool:

'y' is the usual word for 'and' but it changes to an 'e' before a word beginning with a vowel, like 'a' and 'an' in English.

e.g.

Chiri e Anna estan hablando espa?ol.

Anna y Chiri estan hablando espa?ol.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Now that you mention it,

I vaguely recalled that but, I was there mostly to meet chicks. This time, however, I am truly interested in learning Spanish.

So Chiri, what are you doing after class today? ;)

Chirimoya said:
'y' is the usual word for 'and' but it changes to an 'e' before a word beginning with a vowel, like 'a' and 'an' in English.

e.g.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Correction

Chiri,

Actually only before a vowel that has the same sound. In the example by Mofi "espa?ol y ingl?s", "y" and "i" have the same phonetic sound. Therefore to avoid what is called "cacofon?a" in Spanish the "i" changes to "e". The same holds true for "o" before "otro" and other words with "o" at the beginning of the word it becomes "u".

LDG.

Chirimoya said:

e.g.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lesley D said:
Chiri,

Actually only before a vowel that has the same sound. In the example by Mofi "espa?ol y ingl?s", "y" and "i" have the same phonetic sound. Therefore to avoid what is called "cacofon?a" in Spanish the "i" changes to "e". The same holds true for "o" before "otro" and other words with "o" at the beginning of the word it becomes "u".

LDG.

You get to date shad in toronto then ;) !

Is the 'e Anna' example wrong? I know that my real name, which begins with an I has to be preceded with e. Not the other vowels then. Thanks for clearing that up!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Chirimoya said:

e.g.

Is the 'e' pronounced the same as in 'they'?

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Lesley, did you mean ...

the "y" changes to "e" ...

So just to get it straight, "e" is used when the conjunction precedes a word with the same phonetic sound as "y" (which is pronunced "e") and not all vowels.

Lesley D said:
Chiri,

Therefore to avoid what is called "cacofon?a" in Spanish the "i" changes to "e". The same holds true for "o" before "otro" and other words with "o" at the beginning of the word it becomes "u".

LDG.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
shadInToronto said:

So just to get it straight, "e" is used when the conjunction precedes a word with the same phonetic sound as "y" (which is pronunced "e") and not all vowels.

When the word following "Y" starts with the same sound, "Y" changes to "E".
Ex. Stewart e Iris llegaron tarde.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
ShadInToronto,

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for the typo.

"y" to "e" if the phonetic sound is the same. Not all vowels.

LDG.

shadInToronto said:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Chiri,

Your example was incorrect.

"Jos? e Iv?n" but (e Anna is incorrect)

LDG.

Chirimoya said:
You get to date shad in toronto then ;) !

Is the 'e Anna' example wrong? I know that my real name, which begins with an I has to be preceded with e. Not the other vowels then. Thanks for clearing that up!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Let me see if I have this right. The only time "e" instead of "y" is used is if the word begins with an "I" but not other vowels?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
So it seems. What about words beginning with 'hi'? Wouldn't they fall into that category as well? H is silent in Spanish. Aguja e hilo?

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Chirimoya said:
So it seems. What about words beginning with 'hi'? Wouldn't they fall into that category as well? H is silent in Spanish. Aguja e hilo?
Yup! The silent "h" in "hi" turns it into a phonetic "i", thus the same rule applies of "e" instead of "y" to precede the next word thta starts with same vowel sound of "i" or "y".

Even though more commonly we are seeing the ampersand in Spanish these days, a typical finding is that when the name of a businnes with the word sons; e.g. "Taller de Hojalater?a Gonzalez & Hijos" ("Gonzalez & Sons' Body Shop") should correctly be "Taller de Hojalater?a Gonzalez e Hijos" and certanily not "... Gonzalez y Hijos".

- Tordok

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Some nerves!

NOTE TO ALL:

I DID NOT STARTED THIS THREAD!.

It's ok, I guess, but next time, at least let me know ahead of time.

Thread related:

What about using "U" when the words ends and begins with "O"?.

Example: Sera ese el caminO u Otra cosa?.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
That's correct!

You say "el siete o el ocho" (the seven or the eight)

but

"siete u ocho" (seven or eight)

When the word that inmediately follows the conjunction "o" starts with "o" the conjunction changes to "u".

miguel said:
NOTE TO ALL:

I DID NOT STARTED THIS THREAD!.

It's ok, I guess, but next time, at least let me know ahead of time.

Thread related:

What about using "U" when the words ends and begins with "O"?.

Example: Sera ese el caminO u Otra cosa?.

Status
Not open for further replies.