Malaria Worry

paula underwood

May 6, 2005
Hi we are going to a hotel between playa dorada and puerto plata on Sunday, doing the usual beach, dolphins, monster truck safari. Can anyone give me a yes or no on whether we need to give our 7 year old daughter anti-malaria drugs, its driving me mad....... which isn't really a long journey for me...

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
If you aren' t sure it's better to be on the safe side. This being said. I never take it and spend my days in the DR in places that are more at risk than the beach

Greetings

Johan

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
paula underwood said:
Hi we are going to a hotel between playa dorada and puerto plata on Sunday, doing the usual beach, dolphins, monster truck safari. Can anyone give me a yes or no on whether we need to give our 7 year old daughter anti-malaria drugs, its driving me mad....... which isn't really a long journey for me...

Are these malaria endemic areas? I am pretty sure Puerto Plata is not at all. The CDC (www.CDC.gov) web site will advise you under the traveller's health section.

Note this is not really a "Best of the DR" item. Better under the Travel section, I'd think.

paula underwood

May 6, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Are these malaria endemic areas? I am pretty sure Puerto Plata is not at all. The CDC (www.CDC.gov) web site will advise you under the traveller's health section.

Note this is not really a "Best of the DR" item. Better under the Travel section, I'd think.

thanks for the advice the CDC web site is again a bit confusing over the issue, realise this prob isn't the best place but new to this. Thanks again.

paula underwood

May 6, 2005
heldengebroed said:
If you aren' t sure it's better to be on the safe side. This being said. I never take it and spend my days in the DR in places that are more at risk than the beach

Greetings

Johan

Thanks you have helped put my mind at rest. I'll toast you with my first rum cocktail.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
If you take a cuba libre BE AWARE there are colibries out there that like to drink from your straw.

Happend to me once

Dec 9, 2002
You don't need it for where you will be Paula. I know most British doctors recommend it, but it's really a waste of money unless you are going well off the beaten track. Just relax and enjoy your holiday ;)

paula underwood

May 6, 2005
Thanks to all for your advice we had a fantastic time, we will be coming back and the Iberostar was brilliant as were everyone we met. Will be doing a trip report.

Thanks again.