'Oir' and 'escuchar'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Oir - to hear; escuchar - to listen, right?

Or maybe is it not as simple as that. I often hear people saying stuff like:

'No escucho el telefono' - when I think it should be: 'no oigo el telefono'.

Anyone care to explain?

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I've notice that too. ?Oye! = Listen! but no me escuchas = You don't here me . I'm curious too. While we are at it, is it ver la televisi?n o mirar la televisi?n?

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chiri, according to my dictionary (big one, not pocketbook size), in Latin America escuchar often used to mean hear.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
xamaicano said:
I've notice that too. ?Oye! = Listen! but no me escuchas = I don't hear you. I'm curious too. While we are at it, is it ver la televisi?n o mirar la televisi?n?

Depends on what you mean. Difference between see and watch.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
From what I see 'Oye' means more like 'hey' where escuchar is used more for the actual act of listening. For example, if you wanted to get someones attention, you would say 'Oye' where if you were speaking to someone and you had something very important to tell the person you would say 'escuchame'.

Also, if you could hear someone, you would use Oir. Ex. 'Yo le oigo'.

Fluent Spanish speakers, feel free to correct me.

Larry

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Sometimes!

In many intances, when someone says "oye" it can be intertreted as trying to get someone's attention, as in "oye, como te sientes?".

"tu me estas oyendo?", or "tu me estas escuchando"?, to me, it's the same.

Also, it could be: Oir= listening to the person talk but not making eye contact, as in not making eye contact.

Escuchar= paying attention/looking to/at the person when they are talking to you.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Hmmm

Could this be due to the fact that oir is an irregular verb? Therefore it used less often. In my case, not being a native speaker I almost use escuchar.

JD

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Ricardo900 said:
I've noticed in Mexican songs and telenovelas they use Oye a lot.

Because mexicans use "Oye" alot when they are changing a subject. for example if i was talking with somoene about what they were doing today and wanted to ask them if they wanted to go some where, i would say oye to changed the subject and then i would continue to ask my question.

Larry: Thats about correct what you said.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
xamaicano said:
I've notice that too. ?Oye! = Listen! but no me escuchas = I don't hear you. I'm curious too. While we are at it, is it ver la televisi?n o mirar la televisi?n?

No me escuchas- You don't hear me, properly in english its like saying you don't listen to me.
I don't hear you would be- No te escucho.
about the TV.
If you are watching a show you say mirar, ( estoy mirando_______)but usually when someone says they are going to watch the tv they say (voy a ver la tele).
(this comes from my experience, others may differ)

cbello

Nov 19, 2004
also

I've also heard oyte after someone has said something, making sure you are listening by answering "si"

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Dragonfly32837 said:
You mean oiste.

is she's learning Spanish inthe DR she would learn 'oyte' which is wrong because it is oiste. which only means did u hear me, is like saying 'tu me ta entendiendo? are u understanding me, and people tend to use this too often, almost after every sentence!!!!! just like 'oyte'?

May 31, 2005
M.A.R. said:
is she's learning Spanish inthe DR she would learn 'oyte' which is wrong because it is oiste. which only means did u hear me, is like saying 'tu me ta entendiendo? are u understanding me, and people tend to use this too often, almost after every sentence!!!!! just like 'oyte'?
Yes. I know. I am Dominican too. ;)

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I grew up saying oir for hearing and escuchar for listening. Also, mirar for looking at something and ver for seeing. I noticed that in Mexico they have inverted the terms and say "te mir?" for I saw you, while I would say "te v?".

When someone says ?Escucha! it means Listen! and when someone says "no se oye nada" it means I can't hear anything. Now, to call people's attention, in Cuba they say ?Oye!, while in other countries, like Puerto Rico, they say ?Mira! (?Look!

Status
Not open for further replies.