Where's the bathroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
juancarlos said:
You mean: ? Donde est? el ba?o?

This is a good one to learn. The first time in Boca Chica using a guidebook, I asked where was the "servicio" which I guess maybe is used in Spain and ultimately the waitress took me to the manager. He had enough English to show me to the loo, thankfully.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
ricktoronto said:
This is a good one to learn. The first time in Boca Chica using a guidebook, I asked where was the "servicio" which I guess maybe is used in Spain and ultimately the waitress took me to the manager. He had enough English to show me to the loo, thankfully.

Actually, servicio is good too. In Mexico and Cuba and other countries, it is understood without a problem. To eliminate any confusion, it's better to ask:
?Donde est? el servicio sanitario? Of course, most people simply ask for "el ba?o".

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Wow, what a fragrant tangent this thread has taken! Anna will have to split it off now.

Ba?o is sure to be understood while servicio - not necessarily so. My brother-in-law insists on calling it the 'pipirum' as in 'peepee room'.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok now that we're in el ba?o, how do you say:

I want to take a bath?
I want to take a shower?

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
juancarlos said:
Actually, servicio is good too. In Mexico and Cuba and other countries, it is understood without a problem. To eliminate any confusion, it's better to ask:
?Donde est? el servicio sanitario? Of course, most people simply ask for "el ba?o".

It is not very commong for someone to ask for the bathroom using servicio, from my experience. If you want to make sure there is no confusion i would stick to "Donde esta el bano" sorry did't put the accents.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
xamaicano said:
?D?nde est? el excusado?

They use that in Mexico a lot. Although not in restaurants or when talking formally. In other countries, it is the standard word for outhouse.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
If you ask for a "servicio" you will most likely get a bottle of rum, several coca-colas and a bucket of ice.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Jane J. said:
If you ask for a "servicio" you will most likely get a bottle of rum, several coca-colas and a bucket of ice.

It all it depends on where you are and how you ask. If you simply say "servicio, por favor" and you are in a restaurant or hotel, that's what you" ll probably get. If, on the other hand, you ask: Donde estan los servicios sanitarios? or Donde esta el servicio sanitario?, they will understand. While in Mexico, I've used both servicio and bano- on this computer I can't place the accents- and I've had no problems. One thing I will not ask for is el excusado. That's outhouse where I am from.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
juancarlos said:
They use that in Mexico a lot. Although not in restaurants or when talking formally. In other countries, it is the standard word for outhouse.

Where in mexico where you and for how long? I've never heard anyone say that, where I lived.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I was in the city of Oaxaca. I've also visited other cities, but I did not need to ask for the rest room. When I did, I either said ba?o or servicio sanitario. I also stayed with a mexican family and they also used the word servicio sometimes to refer to the bathroom, well, the toilet, more precisely. That's what you are really looking for when you ask for el servicio. I've heard people from Central America using the same word. Of course, most people everywhere say el ba?o. In English, at least where I live, people ask for the bathroom or the restroom. Some say the "john". At least, that's what it sounds like.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
GRACIAS ! (with an "s" of course)

Although this forum deals with various aspects of the Dominican Republic you should not forget that gracias is written with an "s" at the end (that is the :tired: only correct way to write it). A lot of Dominican people unfortunately do not regularly write the final "s" in the plural form because of lack of education and therefore even the papers are full of orthographic errors.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Some new words I learned yesterday that belong in the bathroom (el ba?o)

excusado o servicio (toilet)
lavamanos (sink)
regadera o ducha (shower) I think "ducha" is easier to remember ;)
la ba?era (bathtub)

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Some new words I learned yesterday that belong in the bathroom (el ba?o)

excusado o servicio (toilet)
lavamanos (sink)
regadera o ducha (shower) I think "ducha" is easier to remember ;)
la ba?era (bathtub)

In the DR they use inodoro for toilet. And while ducha works for shower, I mostly hear it called llave.

Status
Not open for further replies.