Travelling between Santiago and Samana

edshen2

May 7, 2005
Hello, I'm flying into Santiago next week and wanting to spend most of my time in Samana. What are my options for buses going directly back and forth? I've found reference to a company called Transporte PEPE that seems to have one bus daily from Santiago to Samana, but I can't tell if Caribe or Metro have direct buses. Can anyone tell me what my options are or how I can find out? Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
edshen2 said:
Hello, I'm flying into Santiago next week and wanting to spend most of my time in Samana. What are my options for buses going directly back and forth? I've found reference to a company called Transporte PEPE that seems to have one bus daily from Santiago to Samana, but I can't tell if Caribe or Metro have direct buses. Can anyone tell me what my options are or how I can find out? Thanks.

No Caribe Tours or Metro direct to Samana.

edshen2

May 7, 2005
Thanks -- no other options, huh?

Ken said:
No Caribe Tours or Metro direct to Samana.

Thanks so much Ken -- I assume that also means there are no other buses direct to anywhere on the Samana Pensinsula from Santiago (Sanchez, Las Terrenas, etc.)?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are a couple of buses like Pepe. I think one leaves Santiago in morning and Samana in afternoon while Pepe from Samana is the reverse. For an adventure, you could take a guagua or public car from Santiago to La Vega, then a public car from there to San Francisco de Macoris. From SFdeM, you could take a Metro or Caribe Tours bus.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Santiago To Samana

Just got back from the Samana area a couple of months ago, actually stayed at the Atlantis outside Las Terrenas in Punta Bonita. If you don't want to spend the day on a hot bus, I would recommend Air SantoDomingo. The flights run every couple of hours, 18 pass. twin prop, It's cheep!! plan on between 40 and 50 dollars, you fly into a little half dirt strip runway airport in LasTerrenas..................You're downtown by cab in 5 min. The flight takes about 30 min. and is a great way to see the whole Samana area from the air. If your not on a real tight budget, this I would strongly recommend. Samana in my book, after traveling most of the country, is the best, most laid back, and still has the real Dominican feel unlike some of the towns on the noth coast which is inendated with expats. To each their own. Have a great trip!! Would love to hear some input on your trip when you return............GGN420

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I thought that there was a "Sticky" On this

If you do a search-use "buses to samana" and look for the post by Hillbilly...

You will see the times and the location of the buses that service Sanchez, Samana directly from Santiago.

HB :p

Last edited:

edshen2

May 7, 2005
Thanks again

Hillbilly said:
If you do a search-use "buses to samana" and look for the post by Hillbilly...

You will see the times and the location of the buses that service Sanchez, Samana directly from Santiago.

Wow, thanks much everybody. Hillbilly, I found your previous post; very helpful. How long does the trip from Samana to Santiago take about?

Also, everybody, the guidebooks say a trip from Santo Domingo to Samana takes 2 1/2 hours and because of this, I'm thinking of going to Santo Domingo for a day (will be in the DR for a total of 4 days) before heading to Samana (am flying into Santiago). However, a friend of mine who was there last month cautioned me against this, saying that it took him 4 1/2 hours to drive from Santo Domingo to Las Galeras via rental car, which doesn't square so well with the guidebooks' estimate of the Santo Domingo-Samana trip length. Anyone care to offer any advice about this?

Thanks again for everybody's help. This has been very helpful.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
edshen2 said:
Also, everybody, the guidebooks say a trip from Santo Domingo to Samana takes 2 1/2 hours and because of this, I'm thinking of going to Santo Domingo for a day (will be in the DR for a total of 4 days) before heading to Samana (am flying into Santiago). However, a friend of mine who was there last month cautioned me against this, saying that it took him 4 1/2 hours to drive from Santo Domingo to Las Galeras via rental car, which doesn't square so well with the guidebooks' estimate of the Santo Domingo-Samana trip length. Anyone care to offer any advice about this?

Maybe in the future when new highway is completed, but not now. Figure about 4 hours, but maybe you will happen to get the the Caribe Tours bus that takes a different route and for that reason gets there in less.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't do it

If your goal is Las Galeras on the tippy tip tip of the Saman? Peninsula, don't go down to Santo Domingo. You'll be spending eight hours at least on the road and not seeing much for it.

Save Santo Domingo and its very interesting sights for another trip.

Time out to Las Galeras from Santiago will be about 3 1/2 hours. BUT you have to change buses there at the waterfront. Not to worry, thee will be buses out to Las Galeras at all hours.